How well can you use your non-dominate hand?

I can't write at all, can't kick or throw or handpass (punch a ball like in AFL) at all, but I've found karate on the left side not too difficult, if a bit weaker.

I can masturbate with either hand if that's what you were asking about.

Sent from a phone, apols for any mistakes.
But can you work the mouse with both as well?

I can use a computer ambidextrously, and I was forced to use a right-handed joystick because that was the only kind available. I can use a fork or knife with either hand as well as for most minor tasks.

For major stuff (i.e. throwing and writing), I am left-handed. I just did a quick handwriting test and my right-side handwriting looks like an elementary school kid's print while my left is much more tight and legible.

When I first got to college, I tried to pick up ambidexterity. When I took notes I would write everything on the left side of my notebooks/binders with my left hand. I did that for a couple of years and as a result I'm OK at writing though I need more practice. I had to stop after I had a string of professors that went through notes much faster than I could write with my left hand. I hope to go back to practicing with my left at some point. I'm not that good at most other things with my left hand though.

Odd story: My father was naturally left-handed but his hardcore catholic mother was convinced that was the devil's hand and she would slap his left hand every time he tried to use it to write. As a consequence, he writes with his right hand but does everything else left handed.

This thread reminds me of a Care2 article from last year. It was about whether our pets were left or right-pawed. In other words, if they play with something, do they tend to bat it with their left or right paw? Do they use one paw over the other when reaching for something, batting at something, etc.?

Odd story: My father was naturally left-handed but his hardcore catholic mother was convinced that was the devil's hand and she would slap his left hand every time he tried to use it to write. As a consequence, he writes with his right hand but does everything else left handed.

My dad didn't quite have the full Catholic experience but that's likely because his father was also natively left-handed. I don't know if it's genetically-linked or just coincidence but every male in my family in the last 4 generations has been left-handed. The ladies tend to be right-handed, although one or two of my cousins might break that rule.

This thread reminds me of a Care2 article from last year. It was about whether our pets were left or right-pawed. In other words, if they play with something, do they tend to bat it with their left or right paw? Do they use one paw over the other when reaching for something, batting at something, etc.?

All our cats we have had seemed to have use both paws rather equally well.

(I'm right handed) I can use a mouse, type on both my keyboard and phone, amd play video games just fine with my left hand if I need to. I can eat well enough. I can also do...with my left hand. I can't write or throw with my left hand whatsoever. However, regardless of what it is my coordination is going to be pretty bad on my left side.

My dad didn't quite have the full Catholic experience but that's likely because his father was also natively left-handed. I don't know if it's genetically-linked or just coincidence but every male in my family in the last 4 generations has been left-handed. The ladies tend to be right-handed, although one or two of my cousins might break that rule.

I like to say to my uncle that he is a sinister person for being left handed. His reply is that at least he is of his right mind.

I used to be really good at doing stuff with my left hand, since I regularly played drums for like 13 years. I couldn't write well, but I could throw a ball, drum, brush my teeth, etc, almost as well.

I've been out of practice for the last few years, and I'm sure all of that has atrophied.

I'm pretty slow writing with my left, but it's legible and for a while in grad school I practiced and got faster. For most things, I'm pretty close to ambidexterity but still a bit better with my right. I broke my right foot and class 3 sprained it and had little trouble driving using my left instead for example.

I can use a computer ambidextrously, and I was forced to use a right-handed joystick because that was the only kind available. I can use a fork or knife with either hand as well as for most minor tasks.

This is interesting. If you play an emulated game on a keyboard, the directional buttons are on the right. When I set up my control scheme, then, I did so with the directional buttons being up/down/left/right as the acutal arrows on the keyboard, instead of the WASD, without a 2nd thought. The buttons were then allocated to my left hand instead of my right, essentially creating a left-handed control scheme even though I'm right handed, simply due to the bias of seeing the arrows on the right side of the keyboard.

It didn't affect my ability whatsoever. One could argue that it's the dominant hand that should be on the directions anyway though, because those usually require more precision than simply "pressing this or not pressing this". Of course these days, controllers use two analog sticks and to be a good player you can't really be bad with either.

Well, if you're trained to use a mouse right-handed, like I was, using WASD makes perfect sense, whether you're left-handed or not.

Top Bottom