1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How would Russia react to EU economic blockade?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Mar 30, 2009.

1. civhelp121

civhelp121 Prince

You really like to judge the US based on its past or its hypothetical future don't you? Ever notice that an African-American has become president of the US? Or are you going to ignore the present and judge the US based on its past?

2. Snorrius

Snorrius Le libre-penseur

You sure have a wild imagination. Why Russia should try even cross Poland border? Look what happened with EU after they took them aboard :mischief:.

3. Snorrius

Errr.. Look, EnlightenHK actually boasted by 100 years of glorious American history, we just had to remind tovarishch that he is too optimistic about his own country which is actually a paragon of sin for many.

4. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

It will be a pre-emptive strike. Russian goal will be to de-militarize Poland, save the pro-Russian regime in Belarus and subjugate the Baltic countries.

5. Snorrius

And Baltics too? NOOOOOO! :lol:

6. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I noticed also that he officially acknowledged existance of secret CIA prisons.

7. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

May I inquire, according to which fundamental indicators is Estonian economy more "crashed" than Russian one?

8. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Pravda says so, I bet!

9. yesboii

yesboii Ishin

No, it must be that expertly, frighteningly, accurate Russia KGB spy who says that the Chinese will influence California after the US breaks up into a million pieces. :crazyeye:

10. Snorrius

Jeez, guys, just read some economy articles on Baltics if you are really interested. Of course, Estonia is not as bad as Latvia, but they are just next in queue with Lithuania. In short, Baltics have little to sell, too much to repay, have too open economy for being such small and insignificant in the terms of world trade.

And it is Estonia who plead to IMF, not Russia.

11. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Winner, come on man. We dont agree on anything really, but you are living in the real world. Russia vs the EU is David and Goliath stuff. It's not 1983 anymore.

12. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

David won.

13. Yeekim

So you have no facts to present, just like I presumed.
    Also, I understand you believe that when a country is small, it should go for "closed" economy? WTF?:crazyeye:
    So? It is also Estonia, who has currently 3rd smallest public debt in the world (in relation to GDP).
    EDIT: Also, I believe that Russia should be the last country to point fingers at people who take loans from IMF :rolleyes:

14. Snorrius

I just said you have a very open economy combined with small size of your economy which does not affect the world one. It means that you especially vulnerable to international crisis. There is not much Baltics can do now (I doubt Baltics will be allowed to introduce capital flow control, and it is probably already late).

As for debts, combined external debt of Estonia is actually more than 100% GDP. I remember Winner suggested to occupy countries which can not repay their debts... :mischief:

Why not? We do not take loans now ;).

15. Yeekim

That is one aspect of being small. There is also another one
    http://www.balticbusinessnews.com/D...dfd2d-0e96-4fb7-9d75-9f892e4c1bff&ref=rss
    ...due to the fact that virtually every last loan taken by enterprises or private persons is taken from Scandinavian banks. It does not mean that Estonian populace or enterprises are more heavily indebted than those of other countries.
    But you might. The other solution would be to print more money.
    http://en.rian.ru/russia/20090319/120647099.html

16. Yeekim

...which, as I might add, is a blessing rather than weakness. Latvian and Icelandic crises owed largely to the failure of their domestic banks, whereas Scandinavian banks are still solid.

As for Russian banks...
    http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article9693.html
    Draw your conclusions.

17. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

Is there any condition why EU will renegotiate with Russia? I do not believe that EU is a cohesive entity and that man of its members would rather drop the terms than risk conflict with Russia.

18. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

:lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Exactly what I needed this morning :D

Russia in my scenario doesn't plan to conquer or occupy Europe, that would be ASB, totally impossible. It plans to score an early victory before Europe can get a grip on itself and then dictate the peace terms to the intimidated and morally broken Western Europeans.

Besides, it would be no fun if Europe just steamrolled Russia, I want some suspense in the story :mischief:

19. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Well what would constitute scoring an early victory to you?

20. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Russian soldiers along the Elbe, Berlin surrounded :) German will to fight collapses then, the W. European powers give up and make a deal with the Russians, who offer favourable conditions: demilitarization/neutralization of Poland plus other Central European countries and free hand in Eastern Europe (that's Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova for you) and Caucasus. In addition, Baltic coutries will leave the EU and join Russian-led reformed CIS, which will in fact constitute a Russian protectorate over them. Russian goal is to create a safe environment for Russian interests, a sphere of influence free of Western meddling. By neutralizing the bothersome post-commies inside the EU, Russia ensures that the EU will leave Russia alone and doesn't interfere in its sphere - then the Russians will be able to conduct business with Europe once again.

At least that was the Russian plan :)