How would you rate Germany?

How do you rate Germany?

• Definitely strong and better than most civs.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • Average, not too weak not too strong.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Definitely weak and underpowered.

Votes: 33 26.8%

• Total voters
I think their choice for Germany was fine. the UA is meant to be about the Germanic tribes that took down Rome/merged after the fall (Ostrogoths/Visigoths/Vandals/etc). (not just held them off)

More late game UAs/UU/etc wouldn't be very good. Oh wait! there's none that start that late. All the UAs need some ability to work early in the game or else it'll be gone.

Personally, I like the fact that germany has this UA + LK UU. Given the sheer number of horse based UUs, it's good that this UU exists.

Speaking of which, a simple CS slingshot and 5-6 LKs are a great way to eat any of the civs that have the horse/knight UUs. Just take 1 point in honour to see where the barbs are, and you can get a nice army early to wipe AIs out. (I love killing Alex)

For the Panzer... 50 attack at a time where there's no other 50 attack unit (mech infantry are on the other side and one level up) can be very useful. Don't forget to have some mounted units to upgrade.

I would still place them in middle ranking though. What kills them when the AI plays them is their settings for the AI. It seems counter intuitive for what the UA/UUs are vs how the AI tries to play them.

A rushing civ is just fine. This isn't the only rusher either. (The mongols are crap in the game and seem to be meant only for their specific scenario, not a normal game) As per the barbs... depends on the map size and speed how fast expansion is. Just like some other UAs. The french UA really shines in marathon huge games where you can get many cities and 2/turn in marathon/huge is better than 2/turn in standard/standard.

Germany absolutely requires the Honor policy tree. You desperately want Professional Army so upgrading Landsknechts to Riflemen doesn't cost so absurdly much (from 50 :c5production: to 200 :c5production:, I remember the upgrade costing 300 :c5gold: on Quick pace.)

I think FlaK 8.8 (anti-tank + AA gun in one) would be a much better choice for German UU for late-game. It would also be in-line with the landsknecht philosophy of Germany being able to mass-produce cheap resourceless units.

Germany absolutely requires the Honor policy tree. You desperately want Professional Army so upgrading Landsknechts to Riflemen doesn't cost so absurdly much (from 50 :c5production: to 200 :c5production:, I remember the upgrade costing 300 :c5gold: on Quick pace.)

if you want to upgrade brutes you will even need it much earlier because they cost 90 instead of 60 on quick speed.

landsnecht is great cheap, can hold off longswords if you spam and fortify defensively

Yes. He's the best candidate in multiplayer to do a rifle rush when going straight for Education before Steel. I said something similar in a earlier post in this thread. I don't remember how much money it needs to upgrade to rifles tho. It's 140 gold on quick speed for regular pikemen.

Can't really rate Germany yet since I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

I do note though from having them as my neighbor in my current game as America that the AI sucks at playing Germany.

(It appeared the AI was in the late industrial era, but I have tanks & they don't have Panzers and they declare war on me with oil in one of their border cities which was underdefended, so of course they lose the city containing their oil before building a single Panzer. [And go on to be kicked off our starting continent during that war])

Top Bottom