HOWTO: New Unit Creation

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a unit that can only be built first after an another unit is built?
For example, if you add a Main Battle Tank (MBT), you must first build a tank, etc

cheers/
niklas

First off, thanks to lemmy101 for your great work on this!

Now on to the question - does anyone else get a spearman after starting up the mod? I'm pretty sure I'm using the right process (3ds Max w/ FBX exporter), but every time it comes up as the spearman.

First off, thanks to lemmy101 for your great work on this!

Now on to the question - does anyone else get a spearman after starting up the mod? I'm pretty sure I'm using the right process (3ds Max w/ FBX exporter), but every time it comes up as the spearman.

If you're following this tutorial by the letter with the latest ModBuddy you'll need to set VFS to true. If you click a file in ModBuddy to the right there should appear a little settings-window. There you can set a option VFS to true.

If you're interested what that "actually" does I've no idea. The description makes me think you can load any files with the same name and replace them in Civ 5 but clearly that doesn't work :)

BTW, "Speamen" is usually the problem when the files didn't load properly but the unit is defined properly, so you might not need all files to have VFS to true, but I do that and there've been no problem so far. If there's actually some error in the unitmember-file for me the game can compeltly crash when I try to build that unit.

If you're following this tutorial by the letter with the latest ModBuddy you'll need to set VFS to true. If you click a file in ModBuddy to the right there should appear a little settings-window. There you can set a option VFS to true.

If you're interested what that "actually" does I've no idea. The description makes me think you can load any files with the same name and replace them in Civ 5 but clearly that doesn't work :)

BTW, "Speamen" is usually the problem when the files didn't load properly but the unit is defined properly, so you might not need all files to have VFS to true, but I do that and there've been no problem so far. If there's actually some error in the unitmember-file for me the game can compeltly crash when I try to build that unit.

That was my problem, thanks! Now I have another problem though, my unit's mesh is all jacked up. I'll have to go through the export script from 3ds max I think to find what's wrong. Oh well, getting closer!

That was my problem, thanks! Now I have another problem though, my unit's mesh is all jacked up. I'll have to go through the export script from 3ds max I think to find what's wrong. Oh well, getting closer!

Yupp, that happens... I've been doing a lot of exports trying to find a pattern. After 50 or so exports you might notice the same polygons are stretched out, maybe even that there seem to be 5-10 unique distortions you're travelling through. If you're using 3DS Max or some such program, applying a Edit Mesh-modifier and deleting polygons but not entire elements can cause the ends of the deleted element to stretch. Some are just random.

The best way to get a near perfect result is downloading the GrannyViewer, then after the final step is done straight away open the GR2-mesh file and do a quick sweep for corruption. Then it seems you need to delete all but the FBX-files and do another export. It seems you don't need to actually start another ModBuddy project, or re-name the unit for different results, just click discard original files. However not turning off NexusBuddy-exporter seem to cause identical mesh-corruption.

Please Help!

I did as the instruction says on the first page however my unit appears to be spearmen instead of my custom unit. Secondly on my file, I tried to change it so my unit has cost 2, combat 100, moves 20, but in the game it still has cost 1, combat 6, moves 2!??? I don't get it, I cleaned and rebuild the solution many times. I tried to check all the VFS boxes to True as well but it's not updating...

I don't know if the .gr2 was exported correctly (there is no way to verify if it is except testing it directly in the game) - my .fbx export was ok, i double checked it with Maya and Maya was able to import the .fbx file (exported from blender).

Please help.

Oh lol, I figured out why it wasn't updating :mad: :D I had ANOTHER custom mod of the same unit!!

Now a problem is still that my unit doesn't show (the spearmen are gone) so it's updating the unit, except I only see "flashes" (Maybe it's too big???)...

The links in the OP don't seem to be working so I've attached the IndieStone-files I've got. Both the importer and something called NexusAnimFix. I remember installing that fix but Firaxis' patches have probably undone whatever it did.

Anyway, the IndieStoneNexusBuddy.exe goes in the sid meier's civilization v sdk\Nexus\x86-folder. Whatever problem anyone have experienced I have not. It've all worked for me for almost a year.

what's the purpose of an entirely new unit -- especially a dragon -- when your not going to give it special abilitys.

can someone please help me, whenever I import an asset into nexus all it shows is a blank blue screen? I used civilization 4 mod units and converted them via blender to an fbx but it simply won't load in nexus... help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

can someone please help me, whenever I import an asset into nexus all it shows is a blank blue screen? I used civilization 4 mod units and converted them via blender to an fbx but it simply won't load in nexus... help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

yes, nexus (asset) viewer has been broken since the first patch.....please check out post #3 in this THREAD....it works using this method....also check out Deliverator's and my TUTS may help as well....

HAPPY MODDING!!

The links in the OP don't seem to be working so I've attached the IndieStone-files I've got. Both the importer and something called NexusAnimFix. I remember installing that fix but Firaxis' patches have probably undone whatever it did.

Anyway, the IndieStoneNexusBuddy.exe goes in the sid meier's civilization v sdk\Nexus\x86-folder. Whatever problem anyone have experienced I have not. It've all worked for me for almost a year.

Those are the files I have. The IndieStone one comes up as "not responding" moments after I launch the installer, and the NexusAnimFix one gives me "Invalid directory!" error messages during install, no matter what directory I try to put it in (including the default, "sid meier's civilization v sdk/nexus/x86/plugins"). I don't know if it's my computer, but it's just not working.

Sorry for necroing the thread, but I'm interested in learning how to get models with animations into the game. I'm using 3ds max.

Couple of info needed:

1. Setting up necessary tools. What tools, importers, exporters, converters, etc..
2. Formats. dds, compression, etc.
3. Pitfalls. What to avoid doing or having. Max poly-count, bone count, rotation, bone system solutions, etc.
4. Naming conventions?
5. Model specific stuff like scale, orientation, material mapping, uv, etc..

Also, is there a new and more up-to-date version of this tutorial? I see stuff like, "please refer to previous pages and do this and that to get stuff working." So, if possible it would be preferable to have a more "This is the real deal in making new models for civ 5" type of tutorial.

Thanks.

A more up to date tutorial can be found here. But it uses blender not 3ds max. As far as I am aware you are on your own with 3ds max as all Delivertor's scripts are designed for blender and are his custom format. You may be able to export a template to 3ds max format from blender then re-import when you are done.

Top Bottom