1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind - Huns discussion thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Eagle Pursuit, Mar 17, 2020.

1. conorbebe

conorbebe King

I'm aware it wouldn't be the most historically accurate, but if I wanted to include an Ancient Era nomadic culture, I'd choose the Scythians as a more elegant solution. Although they are technically more of a Classical Era culture, the term "Scythians" is also used to refer to similar cultures of the Eurasian Steppe that existed during the Iron Age (including the Cimmerians), and so could potentially be squeezed into the first era. Not sure what the Emblematic Unit would be, but Kurgans would work again here for the EQ.

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Does BMAC count as a pastoral culture? It‘s during the heyday of Bronze Age. There are impressive city remains, but I guess most of the population would be nomadic.

3. SagarRathore

SagarRathore Chieftain

Yes Hepthalites nd their cousins Kidarites.It is not clear of their connection with Huns in Europe but they had similar reputation in this part of world.Their war with Sassanid led to death of King Peroz and kind of vassal state for Iran..their raid in India weakened Gupta Empire..I think they had significant impact and may be sowed seeds for modern day Afghanistan independent from India or Iran in long terms.

Meluhhan likes this.
  4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

What we run into here, I think, is the fact that the "Classical" Era covers almost 1500 years (roughly, 1000 BCE to 500 CE) and so we've got succeeding Pastoral Groups:
    Early Classical:
    Cimmerians
    Scythians - which term covers a bunch of slightly differing groups from the Ukraine to the borders of Mongolia
    Xiong-Nu - which early on may have meant "anybody on a horse near China"
    Late Classical:
    Huns
    Sarmatians
    Sogdians

What makes for continuity is that once they rode horses, carried composite bows and herded, all of them shared a bunch of traits: felt tents by various names, Kurgans, Tumuli, or other large burial 'mounds', and an emphasis on Trade which made the entire steppe from China to the Danube one big Free Trade Zone, more or less.

And, I think we would be safe and saying that a lot of that probably could be 'backdated' to the late Ancient Era: kurgans certainly date back to before 3000 BCE, as do the light chariot predecessors of the horsemen in the same Central Asian steppes. I think we could safely label them Cimmerians while knowing that chronologically, we're really talking about their predecessors among the 'true' Ancient groups like the Yamnaya, Andronovo, or Afanasievo cultures.

The Oxus Civilization, or BMAC, is characterized by irrigated grain farming, wheeled carts drawn by oxen or camels, a number of 'city sites', but not, as far as I know, any domestication of the horse. Towards the end of the civ, after 2000 BCE, they started getting influence from their northern neighbors, the Andronovo Culture, which definitely was pastoral with horse-drawn vehicles and herds, but that resulted in a late 'integrated' culture with nomadic/pastoral elements that was not entirely BMAC any more.

conorbebe and Siptah like this.
  5. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

Now that the Huns have been revealed as a playable culture, let me say a few (vague) things about them in game, to give some context to your hopes and speculation.

Firstly, I can already tell you that in spite of how much we've seen that speculated about, the Huns still have cities like any other Culture. I know many of you were hoping for a completely nomadic playstyle, but transitioning from having cities to not having hem opens up a whole slew of design questions and potential implementation issues, so we would rather not rush this kind of feature.
    Secondly the Ordu and the Horde both have unique special rules unlike anything available to other cultures, which will should make them play differently than other Cultures in the game. I can't really dive into the details yet, though.

Caprikel, Hawke9, Meluhhan and 11 others like this.
  6. conorbebe

conorbebe King

I think it's completely understandable that you wouldn't want to rework a significant portion of the game just to implement a couple of nomadic cultures, but I do think you deserve praise for making an effort to differentiate them. I look forward to finding out more!

Are you able to confirm or deconfirm if Endless Legends' "Nomadic Cities" will be making a return in some form in Humankind?

Jkchart and Siptah like this.
  7. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

No, you won't be able to just pack up and move about your Cities as the Huns, sorry.

8. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Appreciate the answer! :)

Hawke9 likes this.
  9. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Thats fine gotta get that core gameplay right before anything else. Was pretty suprised you din't save the Huns for some nomadic expansion later though. Happy to see them in the game though more than anything!

10. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Thanks for sheding some light into the Huns, I think It's completely understandable to first make sure the core gameplay is working as intended before opening a whole different branch of playstyles, that's honestly why I believed nomads would be saved for a later DLC/expansion. I imagine that should you want to go deeper into a nomad rework the Huns might get a bit of a facelift then.

That said, I'm very curious as to how the Ordu might relate to horde mechanics, and honestly curious about horde mechanics in general.

Jkchart likes this.
  11. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Last year I would have been moaning about this, but I've been doing a lot of reading on the pastoral groups of both Central Asia and western North America (new books on the Xiong-Nu, Lakota and Commanche, among others) and all of them had some kind of 'fixed' locations even when the bulk of the population was mobile. The Chinese government is even pushing for a city to be declared a Cultural Heritage Site because it was originally a Xiong-Nu population center.
    Therefore, having 'nomadic cities' does not have to mean Cities That Move, but cities that are surrounded by a population that moves - maybe more mobile Outposts or some kind of Special Attribute for pastoral faction Outposts or whatever non-city mechanism is available to 'control' territories. That would actually come closer to the Historical Reality as it's now understood (and as anybody on these Forums can tell you, I'm always in favor of the Historical Reality whenever it can be crammed into a game in a playable form!)

Of course, that gives you the remaining and not-inconsiderable problem of finding names for the 'nomadic/pastoral' Cities: witness Civilization V's problem with Hun City Names, which they had to work around by, essentially, not having any.

12. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

New picture on twitter, Roman city taken by the Huns.

Hawke9, Jkchart and conorbebe like this.
  13. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

In Humankind it would make at least a little sense if Hun cities just used names from their in-game predecessor culture. It's not ideal, but it's better than Civ 5. That said I do hope they manage to research an accurate Hun city list.

Siptah likes this.
  14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

So the triumphal arch is all but confirmed to be the Roman EQ.

great city graphics for the Huns!

Hawke9 likes this.
  15. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Hunnic Tent.png

Our first look at the Hunnic City Centre!

One would assume so, unless it's a wonder.

Hawke9 likes this.
  16. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

City Center, Shmity Center - look at the population districts spread out between the high hill and the sea! Tents, Yurts, the open spread-out appearance typical of the historical pastoral centers like Sarai Batu or Gelonus!
    Hot D**n, but they've done their graphical Homework!

Now my question is, were all those built Post-Conquest by the Huns, or did the original 'Roman' Quarters slowly change, along with their population, into Hun Quarters.
    What a neat graphical way to show assimilation/loyalty mechanics right on the Game Map . . .

Jkchart and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The CC looks a bit like the Mongol's Wonder in AoE2 (Genghis' Tent).
    I don't believe the Arch is a wonder, it would be larger and fill more of the tile in that case I think.

Another pleasant surprise in this screenshot:
    the hunnic city walls :D

Boris Gudenuf and conorbebe like this.
  18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

So far, there seems to be a fairly uniform 'palette' of colors for ordinary Quarters - tan, brown, dull red, a uniform thatch, brick, adobe, unpainted wood sort of look. Special Quarters and Wonders, on the other hand, are more colorful - a neat way to make them stand out on the game map. That would make this 'Arch of Triumph' probably a left-over Roman Emblematic of some kind, since I don't know of any such structure associated with any pastoral group.

And we've already seen 'unique' city walls, - for the Chinese and others - so a unique Hun Wall doesn't surprise. It is really neat to see the way they are graphically differentiating amongst the various Factions, though.

Makes me wonder what they could do with, say, a Byzantine Faction and an Emblematic triple Walls of Constantinople!

19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

@Boris Gudenuf we‘ve seen unique wall graphics, but not fence graphics :D maybe the Huns cannot fortify

conorbebe likes this.
  20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

That's a very interesting possibility . . .

Now I wonder if that's a Hun-only or a 'Horde' Faction thing that applies to the Mongols also?

Assuming it exists as a separate attribute at all: we've seen 'walls' ranging from simple pasture-like fences (Huns), simple wooden stockades, stone walls, stone walls with towers, and separate 'European Medieval castle' constructions away from the city which, if I read @CatoninetalesAmplitude right, would be a Defensive Quarter (read: Fort in Civ terms, I think). We've also seen Quarters in the city with their own defensive walls - much more substantial than the Hun Fence.

All of which leads me to believe that we still don't know enough about how City Defense progresses and what level it starts at. The Hun Fence seems to indicate virtually no intrinsic defensive capability for a city - but, as you point out, maybe only for Hun Cities. On the other hand, some early-looking cities in the screenshots had only simple wooden stockades, which do not spell City Defense to me, just City Boundary - but, obviously, I can't say that is how Amplitude views them!

Siptah likes this.