Hunting mechanics

Elephants are classified as prey animals because they have a resource-analogue. Rams are included because I didn't want Sheep resources to be left out. I can justify Rams as barely Strength 1, but I can't justify anything smaller, so Fur is going to have to be the odd resource out.

I also don't want to have Hunter units, and I don't want to make prey defend-only; I don't want to mess around with the Unit AI routines (all animals use UNITAI_ANIMAL). What I'm looking for here is to provide enough choices to make this mechanic interesting without so many additional parts that it becomes more like a tumor. All told, there are 23 new units (6 wild prey animals, 6 captured prey animals, 11 captured predator animals; but only the prey need new art definitions, which is the biggest impact in computing resources), 5 buildings (3 Myths, Menagerie, Zoo), and the mission/outcome system defining 2 missions (butcher and herd) and 6 outcomes (hunting kill, subdue, herd, and the three different butcher results). I think this

As far as using Captured Animals to sweep for resources; the game checks to make sure the resource is legal on the chosen plot before it allows the plant mission. For example, you can't plant Deer on a plot without Forest or Jungle. So you can only sweep with a given animal for the tiles that are already legal. Bare Desert cannot be checked; the only animal resource that will plant there is Ivory, and as far as I can tell, only if it's a Flood Plain Desert. You would need several different prey animals to sweep even most terrain, and you'll certainly never get 100% coverage.

Easy or not so easy solution, is to allow the over-riding or removal of hidden resources.

An example, you want to settle a captured Stag for a deer resource, but it would be settled on a hidden iron as you don't have iron working, the deer, SHOULD (if its possible) replace the iron and provide deer only, removing the iron resource from the game.

Didn't know it was there, won't ever miss it. Boon with possible penalty.

If resource is revealed, it CAN'T be removed, as is currently. Only UNREVEALED resources can be removed. Unrevealed by player setting resource only as well.

A very small tweak, if I may. Change words "predator" and "prey" to "carnivore" and "herbivore" accordingly. Then you can say Elephant is a herbivore unit you changed into a resource for your uses.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13687618 said:
To tell the truth I like more predator and prey. [emoji4]

I do too, but the words don't actually show up anywhere in-game. It's a totally mental categorization scheme. The predator/prey distinction is an easy way to explain the following decisions:
  • How I assigned the yield numbers for killing/butchering (they have to be explicitly assigned for each animal in the XML)
  • Whether or not the animal can build Menagerie
  • Whether or not the animal can conduct the Herd mission
and then I threw in the upgrade to military unit for Captured Horse and Captured Elephant because I thought it made for one natural final use.

The above is quite possible, if your Scout was attacked previously by a Lion and is injured to a 0.1/1:strength:

So thinking outside the box...
I still think that pray animals should be CanDefendOnly, meaning no threat to your 0:strength: units (Worker, Missionaries, etc).
I think it could be easily done by a new bCanAttackAnimals tag, that checks the other unit: If it is bAnimal=1, the unit can attack it, although it is bOnlyDefensive=1

The above is quite possible, if your Scout was attacked previously by a Lion and is injured to a 0.1/1:strength:

So thinking outside the box...
I still think that pray animals should be CanDefendOnly, meaning no threat to your 0:strength: units (Worker, Missionaries, etc).
I think it could be easily done by a new bCanAttackAnimals tag, that checks the other unit: If it is bAnimal=1, the unit can attack it, although it is bOnlyDefensive=1

Thinking of how a hunter or villager or (in C2C/R2R - rafts and stuff) lose to otherwise "not so dangerous" animals can be... Interesting indeed (Tripped on their sword? :mischief: )

:spear:

Thinking of how a hunter or villager or (in C2C/R2R - rafts and stuff) lose to otherwise "not so dangerous" animals can be... Interesting indeed (Tripped on their sword? :mischief: )

:spear:

:rolleyes:
Khmmm...
I have no problems with a "lion killing a 0.5/70:strength: marine", but a pray animal (IRL) will NEVER-EVER attack someone unless attacked. --> A stag/ram/etc will only only defend itself when threatened. That's animal lore basics :p

:rolleyes:
Khmmm...
I have no problems with a "lion killing a 0.5/70:strength: marine", but a pray animal (IRL) will NEVER-EVER attack someone unless attacked. --> A stag/ram/etc will only only defend itself when threatened. That's animal lore basics :p

Oh there's some real nasty non-predatory animals in real life! The hippopotamus would like a word :D
Swans aren't exactly the most peaceful of animals either, and ostriches can be a bit unkind if you get off on the wrong feather with them.

However, of the animals we've got here in AND, yeah you're pretty much right. Though you don't need to attack a territorial animal for them to get aggressive - predatory or not. Some animals get extra aggressive during 'mating' season as well - don't even need to provoke them to get on their bad side - you just have to be within their line of sight/scent!

However, I'll never really be able to comprehend a villager/settler being killed by a Pidgeon or Royal Python - just can't envision it :lol:

History is repeating itself. Same basic beginning discussion over this topic that C2C went thru when Dancing Hoskuld 1st introduced Subdued Animals mod. :lol:

JosEPh ;)

Hi,

anyone confirm one way or another as to whether this Hunting business will be a game option?

Cheers, A.

Hi,

anyone confirm one way or another as to whether this Hunting business will be a game option?

Cheers, A.

Usually I prefer options but I'd like to see this feature as a part of the base game. First because I'd like to reduce options, second because it simply adds somthing more to do in ancient era, more or less like Early Buildings.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13693330 said:
Usually I prefer options but I'd like to see this feature as a part of the base game. First because I'd like to reduce options, second because it simply adds somthing more to do in ancient era, more or less like Early Buildings.

So far it all seems quite simple and not game-changing - like it could have been a part of the base game to begin with! The idea of spawning new resources from a captured animal I could see as a Game Option, but the hunting itself and the current buildings seem balanced enough not to cause any concern :king:

Yeah I'm liking it so far, killing animals gives a bonus that is nice in the beginning to speed up a bit those really long first builds (like a settler or worker), without making it excessively fast.

And some captured animals are quite strong on their own right, once I managed to capture a Cave Bear with a javelineer, and then the bear survived much longer than the jav and brought some more prey home as well! :)

Shouldn't captured animals be excluded from capturing new animals?
It is going to be funny to see a ram capturing a lion...

To clarify: no I did not see a Captured Bear capture another animal! Though I was hoping so, that would have been hilarious!
The bear simply killed several other animals on the way home, and I called those extra resources as "more prey brought home".

Vokarya, if i settle a captured elephant in a city, a cow resource appears instead of the elephant one. Can you take a look?

You know what they say to do if you have nothing constructive to add.

Top Bottom