1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I pledge to not buy Civ 6 until it is released

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ash88, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Personally I think this "problem" is entirely overblown. Both good and bad games have always been released since the beginning of video game development. With the sheer number of games released nowadays there's always going to be a percentage of stinkers. What people do and do not spend their gaming money on is really no concern of yours or mine.

2. darko82

darko82 Emperor

I'm buying the game. I pledge. Just maybe a few days after the release if it turns out to have no problems etc.

3. Jarru

Jarru Chieftain

Playing civ games sice civ 1 - love them all. Preordered civ 5 and I was disappointed (with expos got a little better). This time I will wait for Marbozir and hopefully Chris67132 let's plays before making decision whether I should invest money in this title since day 1. So far i like what Firaxis PR department telling/showing me although I would like to hear more about ai, diplomacy, espionage, religion and other interesting mechanics - i want this game to be deep and complicated - my brain cells must be push to the limits playing this title.

4. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Wait, why would I trust someone else to form my opinion of something for me?

5. ash88

ash88 Hail to the King Baby -DN

I understand and respect people that choose to preorder it. To clarify though, I'm not pledging to skip the preorder because:

A) I don't want to be out the cash.
    B) I psychically know the release will be full-of-fail.
    C) I think I will change the gaming world by not pre-ordering.
    D) I think 2K is run by the Demogorgon and his thieving ilk.

None of these reasons are why I have made this pledge to you all.

The reason I am not preordering is because I want Civ6 to be the best Civ ever. I want to play it for years/decades. I want the subtle complexities to astound me. I want it to be good. Damn good. I want it to succeed beyond all of our wildest dreams.

I'm not preordering because as soon as you pay someone for their work you lose all leverage in having them finish that work, and finish it well.

I want the Dev team's evil business-men overlords to know that if they push our beloved Devs to prioritize release dates over game polish too far that there will be a real-money consequence (as drop-in-the-bucket as it may be).

I want to give the reviewers I respect (admittedly few) the time they need to review the game well, and give it the accolades it deserves instead of trying to slut out the first-to-press slush they are often forced to.

There are lots of other reasons. I could go on, but I know we are all intelligent people here.

I begrudge no one his choice to preorder. It's a difficult thing for me to pledge. But for their sake, as well as my own we need to take a stand somewhere.

The line must be drawn here. I'm too fanatical about this gaming franchise to see it be made into half-hearted industry pablum.

6. ash88

I don't know you, so I'm not sure. I would personally find it difficult to form an opinion on everything in a vaccum, but maybe I'm less opinionated then some.

In any case, I've made a pledge not to preorder it for the love of all things Civ, not because I think the reviewers are gods who can form our opinion for us, but because I honestly want this iteration of Civ to be jaw-droppingly awe-some. Short of infiltrating the Dev team this is the only thing I can think to do to help it.

7. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

At all. And that's a shame

I pledge to not buy Civ 6 until it is released.

8. ash88

I hear you 100%. I know exactly what you mean. You know that feeling as you slowly crawl and ahead of a worthy AI controlled opponent and with no space to spare you edge him out by the skin-of-your-teeth. You've played hundreds of games to beat it at this difficulty level, and finally you have. AND now it is time to go to the next difficulty level? I want that. I crave that. No game like Civ has ever made me feel that way. I want Civ 6 to deliver. And it can too .

Wouldn't it be glorious?

9. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Pre-ordering = not caring about video game culture at all?

10. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

Yes. That's one of the most widespread and worst problems of the video game culture.

11. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Wait, what? Personal experience is a vacuum? I don't get what you're saying.

If I'm going to decide if I like something, I experience that something.

Why would I look at something that interests me and say to myself, "Well, I'd like to experience that something... but probably shouldn't, because others have experienced that something but they don't like it"

That makes virtually no sense.

12. Monado

Monado King

Not a shame at all. The macro problems of pre-ordering video games is not important on any scales what so ever in my life.

Only part of it I guess I should have said. But yeah as a whole I could care less.

This makes plenty of sense to me though.

13. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

In your opinion. ;) I happen to disagree, and I care about video game culture quite a bit. I've previously posted in this thread about this:

14. the_jeff

the_jeff Chieftain

I won't be buying the game at release, but that's just because I'm going to need to upgrade my rig, and probably won't be able to do that until early next year.

15. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

Slightly off topic, but as a not-filthy-rich human I'm wondering if the Digital Deluxe edition is worth it? Would someone mind explaining to me if it adds anything (worthwhile)?

16. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Per the Steam page:
    So you get:
    • Soundtrack
    • DLC pack 1
    • DLC pack 2
    • DLC pack 3
    • DLC pack 4
    We don't know what the DLC will look like exactly, except that they will have maps, scenarios, civilizations, and leaders. Presumably individually they would cost more than $20 all together. It might be safe to compare what they will be to something like the Spain/Inca DLC, which had two civs and a scenario for $7.50 by itself, but the bottom line is that we just don't know yet.

17. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

4 DLCs. Of course, noone knows what do they add, why would a conscious consumer need such an unimportant information?

Preordering is bad, preordering while not having any information as to what exactly are you preordering... I don't have words to describe it.

18. m15a

m15a Emperor

It's a discount on the DLC (plus the soundtrack thing). Whether it's worth it depends on whether you'd buy all the DLC separately at a less discounted price. Of course, that will probably be clearer once we know what the DLC is.

For me, the fact that you can buy the deluxe edition at a discount from places like GMG makes it seem like a good deal. (But I don't even know if I'll buy the game at launch since I don't know the required specs.)

19. ash88

To avoid a long, tired, pseudo-philosophical internet argument on why it is impossible to experience something before you form an opinion of it I will just say this: I respect that your goal is to experience everything first-hand.

I hope you come back and tell us whether you liked it or not.

20. ash88

Do we still really have to preface everything "In my opinion" like we are in grade school? I mean, unless someone provides a reference to a scientific journal don't we just assume that anything they say is their opinion?

:crazyeye:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.