I really wish there was a way to skip the prehistoric era altogether

BackseatTyrant

Queer Anarcho-Transhumanist
I don't really like the idea that ideas such as borders, nationhood and state treasury predate the ability to control fire, or sometimes even the ability to speak!

Alternately come up with a list of buildings from the Prehistoric that should not be available to such a start and describe a buildings that all cities start with for such a start.

The entirety of the Prehistoric era is super ridiculous to an almost cartoonish level. I just find it so silly the idea of a supreme ruler telling a hunter-gatherer city to construct a drying frame, and its citizens unquestionably obeying, even though the government type is supposed to be Anarchism.

Then again, we're talking about a mod for a game where Gandhi nukes Genghis Khan

You could use the AI governor to represent that. :)
I don't know how I feel about that, what with C2C introducing the crime mechanic, which basically states that common mortals will harm themselves and eachother when left to their own devices

@OP,
This mod is based completely off of the Prehistoric era. The Author of the mod, StrategyOnly, built and directed development of the Prehistoric Era as the Mod's foundational Era. To remove it would irreversibly destroy the Mod.

So if you don't like the Prehistoric Era it is suggested, in a friendly manner, that you go play another Mod like A New Dawn 2. Or search for and D/L Rise of Mankind 2.92. Neither have the Prehistoric Era that is Unique to C2C. But have somewhat similar basic themes other wise. Both AND2 and C2C used RoM 2.92 as their starting mod basis.

See ya around. Bye now. :wavey:

@OP,
This mod is based completely off of the Prehistoric era. The Author of the mod, StrategyOnly, built and directed development of the Prehistoric Era as the Mod's foundational Era. To remove it would irreversibly destroy the Mod.

So if you don't like the Prehistoric Era it is suggested, in a friendly manner, that you go play another Mod like A New Dawn 2. Or search for and D/L Rise of Mankind 2.92. Neither have the Prehistoric Era that is Unique to C2C. But have somewhat similar basic themes other wise. Both AND2 and C2C used RoM 2.92 as their starting mod basis.

See ya around. Bye now. :wavey:
Do the other mods go as far into the future? If not, I think I'm just going to stay here and swallow the sour apples

The entirety of the Prehistoric era is super ridiculous to an almost cartoonish level. I just find it so silly the idea of a supreme ruler telling a hunter-gatherer city to construct a drying frame, and its citizens unquestionably obeying, even though the government type is supposed to be Anarchism.

Then again, we're talking about a mod for a game where Gandhi nukes Genghis Khan

It's silly that I can tell my civilization to build every single little shop, and they won't build anything by themselves, even though they should be doing that on private initiative.
But it's also awesome that every single little shop exists as a detail in the game. So I like it.

As for skippping the prehistoric era, can't you do that in the menu, by selecting "starting era" or something?

It's technically possible, but the modders advice against it due to "balance issues"
If you can come up with a way of fixing the balance and other issues with a later start please tell us. It is something we would like to do and if you can provide enough detail I am sure Raxo or I can build it.

1. The first issue would be that you still have to study the gateway tech. That can be fixed in Python, I think, but the issue of a free tech given by that tech may be an issue.

2. Can buildings that are available at the start of the era be grouped together in some way as to give you fewer buildings that need building but don't break the resource chains?

wouldn't the Gateway tech be where the Game should start if you'd choose anything but the Prehistoric Start? seeing it's the Start of an Era?

the Buildings thing Might be solved by having them auto build some key buildings? or if it's possible that a special Settler for said Era Start would be capable of granting you the needed buildings for the Capital?
though again why would that be needed, seeing you'd have the same thing happening with new cities with Prehistoric Start,

it's also possible of shoving buildings from a previous era that has become Unthinkable to go without under an auto build {"insert Era" - Basic Infrastructure} although I guess it would be quite a puzzle what should be considered that

wouldn't the Gateway tech be where the Game should start if you'd choose anything but the Prehistoric Start? seeing it's the Start of an Era?

the Buildings thing Might be solved by having them auto build some key buildings? or if it's possible that a special Settler for said Era Start would be capable of granting you the needed buildings for the Capital?
though again why would that be needed, seeing you'd have the same thing happening with new cities with Prehistoric Start,

it's also possible of shoving buildings from a previous era that has become Unthinkable to go without under an auto build {"insert Era" - Basic Infrastructure} although I guess it would be quite a puzzle what should be considered that
Actually you wouldn't study it as it is studying it that moves you to the next era. I was worried about who gets the free tech.

My wish, ultimately, is something like Rocks 2 Rockets, but it deletes the prehistoric era rather than the galactic era. Call that modmod Farms 2 Fringe, maybe.

My wish, ultimately, is something like Rocks 2 Rockets, but it deletes the prehistoric era rather than the galactic era. Call that modmod Farms 2 Fringe, maybe.
I prefer Apes to Angels in its full glory - on beginning your citizens aren't much different from apes and at end your citizens aren't much different from angels :p

I find your criticism very pertinent. But I do not think it is the case of the removal of the Age.
I quite like it, and I think the game would be incomplete with its removal.
But I think it must be improved to identify with the values of anarchy and nomadic life.

I enjoy having the prehistoric era. I like the idea of guiding my civilization from early mists of history to the far flung expanse of the galaxies. Plus, if you're concerned about realism, why does it take 100 years to build a canoe? If you think it's unrealistic that the people build whatever you command without question due to anarchy, then there should be a % chance that everything may not get built, regardless of civics chosen, maybe they just don't feel like working. Having the prehistoric era is what makes C2C stand out from all the other mods. I tried a few before fiding C2C and haven't played any other for years. Perhaps someone can create a modmod to address this for you.

I have played through the prehistoric age so many more times than I really wanted to, due to me often modding the game myself on top of c2c. I recently tried with lowering the tech cost of prehistoric techs, by adjusting the tech cost in the /XML/gameoptions/ageinfo (technically something like that name, I am writing this from memory while on the go). The result was vary pleasing to me with an extra effective factor 2-4 (the base was 2 and another factor 2 from other changes).
If you have the same kind of problem then you can try it out yourself too. Note that this does change how good that era is, and that this is for people who really just want to be further in.

I recently tried with lowering the tech cost of prehistoric techs, by adjusting the tech cost in the /XML/gameoptions/ageinfo (technically something like that name, I am writing this from memory while on the go).
Adjust <iResearchPercent> within "Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4EraInfos.xml" for the first era entry.

Top Bottom