I want a canadian civ :(

It's be evidence of political division, the entirely of British North America was split down ideological lines between monarchists and republicans. In British North America the cultural division was between the south and the north, the slave-owning latifundia of the Caribbean and (what is now) the US South, and the North (what are now the US north and eastern Canada). To this day there is the same cultural division, the only major change being the disappearance of whites from most of the Caribbean. People in Mass have more in common with Newfoundlanders than the do with Georgians, and so on.
Well, okay, but if the Confederacy had successfully seceded, I'd think the CSA would merit inclusion as a civ in Civilization, as well. Cultural differences and stuff.

With all due respect to my Canadian brethren, Canada is barely able to maintain a coherent identity as a single civilization. When you have a very large group of your citizens who continually strive to be recognized as unique and separate, often to the point of outright secession, I don't think there's a compelling reason to think of Canada as its own civilization.

With all due respect to my Canadian brethren, Canada is barely able to maintain a coherent identity as a single civilization. When you have a very large group of your citizens who continually strive to be recognized as unique and separate, often to the point of outright secession, I don't think there's a compelling reason to think of Canada as its own civilization.
Well, America did have that Civil War.

And Quebec Separatism has been at an ebb for a few decades. :)

Besides, I made that point about every nation having minority cultures within it--Canada has Quebec, the US has the South (and hispanics, etc.).

It's a bit normal wanting to play as your nation, is it not?

Canada!
Great Leader; Julie Couillard Bernier
Civ Traits; Pacifist, Mostly Harmless
UU; The Noble War Beaver
UB; Brewererery
City Music; "Great White North" (Geddy Lee)

I want a Liechtenstein civ :( Liechtenstein's history and culture just can't be ignored in Civ. It's a shame that relevant nations like Liechtenstein are disregarded, while irrelevant useless trash like Rome take all the slots. And the Federal States of Micronesia are soooo much cooler then United States of America.

I feel like we can probably handle Micronesia, with the leader being the entire cast of Survivior: Micronesia.

I want a Liechtenstein civ :( Liechtenstein's history and culture just can't be ignored in Civ. It's a shame that relevant nations like Liechtenstein are disregarded, while irrelevant useless trash like Rome take all the slots. And the Federal States of Micronesia are soooo much cooler then United States of America.

You know I could see someone arguing Rome, English, French, Germany, Mongolia, Egypt, etc being cooler then the US but Micronesia?

My favorite post in this thread was the one at the top of page 3, which listed, in great detail, the accomplishments that Canada has achieved as a civilization, and how they have influenced the world.

We shouldn't put aliens in the game and after all thats what canadians are! Atleast according to South Park which I hold to be truth!

But seriously it had no major impact on world history.

We shouldn't put aliens in the game and after all thats what canadians are! Atleast according to South Park which I hold to be truth!

But seriously it had no major impact on world history.

We can replace Sury the Khmer with Canadians. :)

What's so wrong with Khmer? Sure they weren't under the greatest, but I think they deserve more to be in civilization than the Canadians.

What's so wrong with Khmer? Sure they weren't under the greatest, but I think they deserve more to be in civilization than the Canadians.

Hint: who is the alien leader?

Hint 2: Everyone reading this thread should upgrade his sarcasm detector to the latest version.

Wyz made a great Canada civ that's on the front page of the new civs thread. And there's also civ gold 5 which is adding over 110 new civs that, even though it's not officially released yet, you can dl it from their source forge.

I realise the original suggestion was irony, but calling the Khmer not one of the greatest is maybe slightly western-centric. The Khmer have been one of the driving forces in Asia, one of which many traces remain until today. Angkor was about the size of modern day Los Angeles, one thousand years earlier. A metropolitan region that size that is estimated to have had about one million inhabitants at one time one thousand years ago, that definitely puts the Khmer in one of the top spots. Yeah, they lost a bunch of wars 600 years ago and almost disappeared, but Cambodia still exists and there are still around 16 million Khmer around, according to wikipedia. So they're still in the same order of magnitude as Canada, which has about twice as many inhabitants ;-)

What I would have liked to see is more nations that have existed for a long time and still exist today. Most of the civs either existed for a long time but disappeared in the real world, or are still going strong but are not that old. A country that can stay around with no major changes for hundres of years has to be on to something. But yeah, I do realise that e.g. San Marino (1700 years a republic) and Switzerland (700 years) aren't that interesting. Although a civ that does best when avoiding wars is kinda nice. There are civs like that in Civ IV, but the advantage of not going to war is not great enough for them because the entire game favours civs that go to war.

What a dumb comment. Would you discount the British as a civilization in 1776, or even 20 years ago when dealing with Irish separatists? How about China w/ Tibet and Taiwan? The French w/ the Basques? Turkey & Iraq w/ the Kurds? The United States with Native Americans of NUMEROUS nations? There's really no end to this list...shall I keep going?

At least Quebec citizens are peaceful, which is a lot more "civilized" than can be said for most examples.

Top Bottom