1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to hear from Firaxis

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by rep1826, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Dale

Dale Deity

Choose one of the following: Didn't get tested? Testers didn't get listened to? Not enough time to resolve all problems?

You say "many people". Have you polled them all? There's 45,000 connected to Steam right now. How many is "many people"? There's not too many threads in the bugs forum saying "can't run properly run properly due to technical issues". BTW, I love diplomacy and the UI. A personal opinion of "lack of depth" or "looks like crap" are not bugs. ;)

2. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Door Number Three: Tester's wore Rose-Colored Glasses. ;)

3. Dale

Dale Deity

Lucky I was testing the mod tools eh? :mischief:

4. Afforess

Uh, yes. Thank god for that. Dale, it's the one hope for Civ5.

5. Dale

Dale Deity

Well, World builder at least. ;)

6. Afforess

Excuse me. I need to go sacrifice a lamb to the deity of your choice for SDK tools tomorrow.

7. Dale

Dale Deity

Yeah, wonder what's taking so long.

*Looks in Greg's direction*

8. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

It's funny because in game dev it's impossible to make everyone happy, and those that you make unhappy think that they're right and that's that.

Anger about technical issues I can understand, and as someone who mods at the 2K forums I can tell you 100% that 2K and Firaxis are doing everything they can to help people troubleshoot via email tickets, phone calls, and forum posts.

If you just flat out hate changes though, or streamlining, that's an opinion that you and maybe even some others share but not that everyone shares. I see so many people using absolutes when trying to argue their point i.e. all hardcore civ fans hate the AI. It's just a poor way of arguing your point in any debate.

9. ElephantRider

ElephantRider Chieftain

If you're gonna post that, link where you saw it. Otherwise it's pretty much just 'my cousin's friend's sister's ex boyfriend said he saw that in an email.'

Now, I'm not denying that the developers may have done that. My point is that you're quoting some e-mail that you did not receive but that you claim to have seen a post about. There is nothing in your post that gives any proof to anything you said. That, and the fact that a personal e-mail is pretty easy to fabricate and post on a forum.

10. Dhaeman

Dhaeman Chieftain

2K might be waiting to see what the general consensus is on all issues. Diplomacy, production times vs. research times, etc. are points of contention.

But AI is generally agreed to be brain dead.

11. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

Hahahah. Quoted for truthfulness. This is all civfanatics has been lately. Kind of embarrassing.

12. jihe

jihe Prince

Guess they want to get their $10 for Babylon for as long as possible.

13. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I agree, it DOES seem like a waste, but I can understand why you're doing it if you feel you have no other option. Especially if you've been getting really excited for the release and now feel that you didn't get what you were hoping for.

My caustic responses last night weren't really excusable; I just took off on tear because of all the hysterical crying - calling the game "an abomination," calling every feature they dislike "bugged" or "broken," claiming "nobody ever tested this game at all," you know... the usual completely nonsensical, exaggerated, ridiculous allegations. I have no problem with "I'm disappointed; this isn't what I was hoping for," which is where you were coming from - and I can sympathize with that perspective.

Maybe 2K or Firaxis will indeed give you some kind of information. Personally I wouldn't wait long for that, it just seems unlikely. But I could be wrong, it happened once before. ;)

But can't you just keep playing the games you still enjoy? Civ4+BTS or the like? I don't mean that in the "GTFO if you don't like it" sense, but despite your disappointment in 5, if you still like Civ4 you can still play it, right? I know it doesn't fix the problem, but your hobby isn't "gone," you know?

IMO, this seems to come down to people who enjoyed empire-simulation and lots of micromanagement versus those who like strategy games and aren't interested in all that micro'ing. That, to me, is not fun - the micromanagement has always been the bane of the series, IMO - so Civ5 seems like a step in the right direction for me. Separating the wheat from the chaff, if you will.

Anyway, best of luck. Thanks for your reasonable feedback.

14. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

Meh, I imagine a lot of people like the game the way it is. I know I don't share some things in common with a lot of people. A lot of people like professional wrestling and NASCAR too. Civ 4 was a game that appealed to people like me. Civ 5 is not. I don't expect the company is going to go 'oh we should have targeted that market that got us less sales but was a game we could be more proud of' and I guess I'll live with that.

15. cccv

cccv King

I have yet to play a game of V, and yet even I don't think I could "go back" to IV after knowing about the improvements. It has made me wonder though, could 1UPT someday be a mod for IV? It would be nice if the people who wanted to stick to IV were still able to have the improvements they wanted that way.

I really have no idea which side of the fence I'll be on after I do get the game, whenever that happens, but either way it would be nice if that option were there.

As for "fixing" the game, I don't see it happening. I think they more or less released the game they wanted, just with bugs and flaws that need to be patched up. I doubt they'll come out with an expansion called "we're sorry" that gives you everything you wanted. Those things don't happen often in real life.

16. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Afforess' A New Dawn mod has 1UPT.;)

17. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

So now I know who to blame if WB in civ V is so user-friendly as civ IV one was :p

18. Crispin

Crispin Chieftain

I wish they could be as open as stardock, I'm not saying the game is in as bad state as element was when released, but at least they are honest and have good communication with the community.

19. dannythefool

dannythefool King

I would have agreed with what you wrote, but you chose to pick an example that is provably broken... most are really up to personal taste, but that the AI can't play is very easily observed.