I would like to know others people oppinion about Workboat production cost

I'm not sure why we're talking about trade routes in the work boat topic, but now that we are...why are air routes not a thing in the game? Even Beyond Earth still only has land and sea routes as far as I'm aware. It just seems like an odd omission, considering airmail is reasonably significant even now...I think.

Small parcel service happens by air, but any significant tonnage is still shipped by sea. It's just not cost effective to fly things for commercial purposes, including high value per kilogram items like electronics.

Really? Huh. I figured it was more widely used than that, but it's not something I've ever really looked in to.

Really? Huh. I figured it was more widely used than that, but it's not something I've ever really looked in to.

I think around 90% of all shipping goes by boat, 10% by land, should give you a pretty good idea how much air-shipping is used :D

Well, I still maintain that it should have existed in Beyond Earth. But yeah I guess it wouldn't fit here in that case.

Well, I still maintain that it should have existed in Beyond Earth. But yeah I guess it wouldn't fit here in that case.

In sci-fi, they should have so much tech that all trade routes are subterranian. That's the least distance!

Small parcel service happens by air, but any significant tonnage is still shipped by sea. It's just not cost effective to fly things for commercial purposes, including high value per kilogram items like electronics.

I work in procurement. Land and sea shipping is the go to where possible. Air freight does happen when certain products are needed quickly, or when the life of a product is sufficiently short.

Many perishable fruit and veg products are air-freighted when their quality is low. And indeed in many landlocked countries will ship via air when land routes are unavailable (think certain regions that are routinely at war).

What Civ doesn't do and I suspect cannot do, but that I would appreciate, is combined routes. Why can't my land city use a land trade route to a coastal city and then turn in to or pass on to a sea trade route? That would be awesome. Probably not doable, but awesome!

I work in procurement. Land and sea shipping is the go to where possible. Air freight does happen when certain products are needed quickly, or when the life of a product is sufficiently short.

Many perishable fruit and veg products are air-freighted when their quality is low. And indeed in many landlocked countries will ship via air when land routes are unavailable (think certain regions that are routinely at war).

What Civ doesn't do and I suspect cannot do, but that I would appreciate, is combined routes. Why can't my land city use a land trade route to a coastal city and then turn in to or pass on to a sea trade route? That would be awesome. Probably not doable, but awesome!

Thanks for expanding. I forgot my usual caveat of 'usually,' as there are always exceptions :D

Combined routes is the real win of Beyond Earth. Rising Tide expansion lets one trade route cross land AND water.

I was worried that the consensus would be to lower the cost. I am glad that you guys think it needs more expensive, after all it is the cost of building the boat that is actually applied to improving the tile. When you build the workboat unit you are building the tile improvement. Moving the boat to the tile and placing it is free.

I think it probably was more expensive IRL to make a dedicated fishing fleet than gather and train a group of construction workers. It's basically a job anybody can do.

I was worried that the consensus would be to lower the cost. I am glad that you guys think it needs more expensive, after all it is the cost of building the boat that is actually applied to improving the tile. When you build the workboat unit you are building the tile improvement. Moving the boat to the tile and placing it is free.

I think it probably was more expensive IRL to make a dedicated fishing fleet than gather and train a group of construction workers. It's basically a job anybody can do.

o.0 Not sure if troll or not. Consensus was to reduce the cost, and the cost is getting reduced. Yes, the cost of improving the tile is building the boat. However, one worker can improve dozens of tiles over the course of the game without using up a city's production queue for more than the initial hammer cost. Sometimes realism has to take a back seat to gameplay.

The fact that you both agree convinces me that workboats should cost more than they do right now. :)

G

This is the only thing I see about the cost from Gazebo.. it says 'cost more'... so no I am not trolling.. if I am not reading this thread properly please quote me the place where it says 'workboats will be reduced in cost'. I honestly disagree with that change if it is planned to happen.

EDIT: I just read the whole thread again, and I do not see any remark from Gazebo about reducing the cost.

This is the only thing I see about the cost from Gazebo.. it says 'cost more'...

I'd just like to clarify that Gazebo was attempting to make a joke. However I've not heard anything about reducing the cost either. I'd guess that would happen considering most people seem to agree that the cost is outrageous, but I've not heard it confirmed.

Hmm well I support the community and will not try to cause any anarchy after the vote as it were. Thanks for clarifying the 'joke' Funak.. my sense of humor is rather crippled in most cases and this one went right past me.

I think they are priced well because the improvements are powerful, personally I often wait till later to improve the sea tiles for this reason. Again I feel like it adds to realism for above mentioned reasons.

I'd just like to clarify that Gazebo was attempting to make a joke. However I've not heard anything about reducing the cost either. I'd guess that would happen considering most people seem to agree that the cost is outrageous, but I've not heard it confirmed.

Higher!

Nah, they'll be getting a reduction.

G

Higher!

Nah, they'll be getting a reduction.

G

As I mentioned earlier, I think the high cost is good since there's actual opportunity cost. Its just that the reward is too low. Can you use the missionary spread counter or something to keep track of the number of improvements built with a workboat?

As I mentioned earlier, I think the high cost is good since there's actual opportunity cost. Its just that the reward is too low. Can you use the missionary spread counter or something to keep track of the number of improvements built with a workboat?

No - that's for missionaries.

I think it's fine. Ideal? No. But fine.

G

Right, I kind of assumed people would read responses to the github issue where the cost reduction was confirmed. Silly of me :D

Top Bottom