IDEA LIST - Resources - Animals, Crops, Fishing

Sovietof17

Warlord
I was coming up with a list of farming, fishing, and animal related resources that I might be interested in adding to my mod, or seeing if any graphics were available. I have not worked on mineral resources or other miscellany resources yet, just animal and vegetable.

If you can think of anything interesting that should be on this list, or have criticisms or comments, feel free to post them in this thread. Thanks. :goodjob:

Choice of resources and explanation:
-1) Mods I've tried so far are Rhye's & Visa. Maybe a vanilla mod or two but I focus on Warlords content

0) VISA and/or Firaxis and their component mods/persons developed the non capitalized items. I did not.

1) I admit my cultural bias of being an American. I chose ones I've heard of, seen, and seemed distinctive and important.

2) I chose to go into more detail on some firaxian/visa resources, and generalize others. If I felt the resources were different enough to be elaborated, I listed them. If I thought they were too specific, I generalized.

3) An example of specification - Fish
One thing that bugs me is how they have "fish" listed as a resource. Reasons why it bugs me:
1) There are all kinds of fish all over the world
2) The fish look vastly different, taste vastly different
3) I would also like freshwater fish, to be spawned in freshwater lakes. Examples: Trout, Catfish.

4) An example of generalization - Spices
1) Listing kinds of spices would take forever. Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Cardamon, Nutmeg, Saffron, it just goes on and on forever.
2) Spices is a good generalization. It describes all spices perfectly, they spice up your food
3) Graphics for spices would be tiny and indistinguishable anyways

5) Things I dont know how to classify, but think they should be included, somehow:
* There are lots of kinds of fruits - apples,cherries,peaches,pears.plums.
* Some fruit I feel like making into their own resource, like coconuts, pineapples, oranges. [lemons are in VISA], but I held back
* exotic animals: yaks, llamas, alpacas.

6) Stuff after the name: F= Food, C= Commerce, P= Production

FARMING [stuff you get with Agriculture]
* Barley F
* BEANS F
* Corn F
* MELONS F
* MUSHROOMS F
* OATS F
* PEAS F
* PEPPERS F
* Potato F
* Rice F
* RYE F
* SQUASH F
* TOMATOES F
* Wheat F
PLANTATIONS [stuff you get with Calendar]
* BERRIES FC
* COCOA FC
* Coffee FC
* Cotton C
* Banana FC
* CITRUS FRUITS FC [grapefruit, lemons, oranges, pineapples..]
* DYE C
* EXOTIC FRUITS FC [passion fruit, coconuts, papayas..]
* FIGS FC
* FLAX FC
* Hemp C
* HERBS FC
* NUTS FC
* Olives FC
* Rubber CP
* SPICES FC
* Sugar FC
* TEA FC
* Tobacco C

FISHING [stuff you get with Fishing]
* CATFISH F
* Clam F
* CODFISH F
* Crab F
* HADDOCK F
* HERRING F
* SALMON F
* TROUT F
* TUNA F
SEA HARVESTING [stuff you get with Optics]
* EELS FC
* LOBSTER FC
* OCTOPUS F
* Oysters (Pearls) FC
* SARDINES FC
* SHRIMP F
* SCALLOPS F
* SEAWEED F
* SQUID F
* WHALE CP
ANIMAL HUSBANDRY
* BEES (HONEY) FC
* CAMELS P
* CHICKENS F
* Cow FP
* GOAT FC
* Horse P
* Pig F
* Sheep FC
* SILK C
* TURKEY F
* WATER BUFFALO P

HUNTING
* ANTELOPE F
* BUFFALO P
* DUCK FC
* Deer F
* Elephants (Ivory) CP
* Fur C
* PHEASANTS FC

Apologies for spacing, I typed this in textpad. :nuke:

This is sad- I can't even located the spices graphic file.

nevermind, found it.

after studying these resource files for a while I now understand why this game has gotten virtually no new resources, just old resources that have been reskinned.

i'm trying to create a mushroom resource. it seems like it could take me weeks to achieve such a thing. i'm not even sure how to start modeling it. is there any documentation anywhere that lays down, in english, what steps must be done? i'm guessing there is not.

i thought about nabbing one from morrowind, but i still don't understand the dds structure, and how it is arbitrarily segmented between different types of resources. perhaps the XML dictates this in coordinates somehow? will continue to study it.

if there is any resource that is under rated it has to be SALT.

Salt has been more valuable than gold
up untill the industrial revolution that is.
nowadays salt is valueless, but in those days it was one of few ways to conserve foods and cure hides etc, plus it makes food taste that mush better.

hey soviet-guy. If you are still around, you may be interested in asking Psychic_lhamas for his mushroom resource art.

cheers. :)

I'd like mineral resources to be distinguished between deep veins and shallow veins. Deep vein minerals shouldn't be accesible until the industrial era when shaft mining is developed.

easy.

1-add new resource iron2 or whatever, with becomes visible at industrial_tech_something,
2-add a deep-core mining improvement that is doubles resource income at the same tech-treshold, but is only buildable at iron1 or iron2 resource tiles.
(deep_shaft improvements convert the resource to iron1)
(edit: at least in FfH2 background.)

Easy, yeah, it's just a matter of getting around to doing it. You also have to allow it as an alternative resource for all kinds of units too.

Sorry, yeah.

I'm working in FfH BtS background code, so...

you'll need to add a tag (<BonusConvert>) to the vanilla CIV4improvements.xml,
this would require messing in the SDK I assume, or minimally editing C++.

If you got that, an improvement can convert any-bonus into any other, circumventing the need to add a second resource + requirements.

That would be a much better solution. Adding an iron2 resource seems unappealing to me because of all the tedious xml settings to make it useful for units etc. Plus, it would defeat modularity as a mod component - anyone who wanted to incorporate it into their mod would have to do the same thing to all their units and anything else that needed iron.

Wonder if the source code for that BonusConvert thing is around ... I can merge SDK stuff, I just can't understand or write new code.

you'll need to add a tag (<BonusConvert>) to the vanilla CIV4improvements.xml

And add a function in python with something like
Code:
iIron = gc.getInfoTypeForString('BONUS_IRON')
iIronAlt = gc.getInfoTypeForString('BONUS_IRON2')
And then, add a script like
Code:
iBonus = -1
if pPlot.getBonusType(-1) == iIronAlt:
	iBonus = iIron
if iBonus != -1:
	pPlot.setBonusType(iBonus)

Top Bottom