Idea's for the new RPG

Strider

In Retrospect
Post any idea's for the new RPG you might have.

Some of the things we need to work out our:

1. Basic Rules: What is allowed inside of the game... and what is not
  2. Basic Guidelines: How everything is going to work. IE: Income, story telling, etc.
  3. Business's: (optional) When private business's should be allowed, and the basic guidelines for it
  4. Conflict Rules: (optional) When differant "house's" are aloud to control armies... and the basic rules for conflict within house's.
  5. Land Grab: (optional) Pretty much the Buying/Selling of land and how it should work.
    [/list=1]

Some interesting threads:

First RPG Rules

First RPG Forum

First RPG Thread (<---- Look here espicially... tons of great idea's by Chieftess, Disorganizer, Shaitan, and myself.

Here's my idea for the basic rules:

All players within the RPG are required to have read and understand both the Forum and basic RPG rules. Failing to not follow either of these may result in a ban from the forum overall... or the RPG.

The Forum Rules May be read here

• The Manager or Managers have the final say in all RPG matters under there jurdisection.
  • Conflicts between characters are allowed IE: Mark (Strider's character) doesn't like Mike (CivGeneral's character) so starts calling him names to provoke him.
  • Conflicts between players are not aloud.
    [/list=a]

• That's all I can think of right now, but more will come to mind as I think about it.

Ideally, I think of a 'free rpg.' That is, just one 'supreme' manager to basically take out actions that are generally agreed are either unrealistic or against the rules. He'd also decided the results of battles, and throw in random events on occasion to spice things up a bit.

Also, I'd like to allow players to conflict with each other. I don't know about anyone else, but the prospect of combat between two players sounds good to me.

The "simple" part of the ruleset will include just three parts... Basic Rules, Basic Guidelines, and Characters

Basic Rules:

• You are required to respect other players idea's and/or actions. Wether you like them or not.
  • If someone does break one of the RPG rules DO NOT try to correct them. This often leads to flame wars and high tensions.. let one of the RPG managment deal with it.
  • You are required to follow ALL forum rules in addition to these rules.

Basic Guidelines:

• No "godlike" abilities.
  • No science fictional stuff... IE: No "high-powered" jets that can destroy anything when we are only in the age of early flight
  • There is a technology restriction. Items only existece if the demogame has already researched that tech, is currently researching that tech, or if an AI has that technology.
  • The RPG consists of several differant fractions. Conflict, Land, Story, Business, and Nobility. In order to partcipate in one of these you must know the ruleset for it, but you are not required to know the ruleset for all of them.

Characters:
Inside of this game your character is you. You may not have multiple characters inside of the game. You can keep any personal information on your character inside of the character registry thread. (IE: Age, Sex, Height, weight, etc.)

Then we can run the story "ruleset" like this:

Inorder to post a story thread you must post a title and short description of your story for the manager's approval (it can be any manager or we can have a story manager just for this). Once the story is approved the person can then start the story thread and any registered characters can partcipate.

Here we go.... so far atleast... Oh well... that's what I get for trying making a ruleset in the early morning... *yawn* I'm heading for bed now.

I like striders guidelines, and i agree with ocatavian x in that conflicts should be able to take place between Characters, not users. IE, if i kick the begeezes out of striders character, it doesnt affect anything in any other forums.

To add something of my own, i think a balanced economy is needed. Money cant just appear. There could be x amount at the beggining, and as we get better and grow, then x grows, and the money allocation is increased. This may be in effect, its just something that bugged me about the last demogame, which i was in. Questions or Comments?

Originally posted by Great Iguanaman
I like striders guidelines, and i agree with ocatavian x in that conflicts should be able to take place between Characters, not users. IE, if i kick the begeezes out of striders character, it doesnt affect anything in any other forums.

To add something of my own, i think a balanced economy is needed. Money cant just appear. There could be x amount at the beggining, and as we get better and grow, then x grows, and the money allocation is increased. This may be in effect, its just something that bugged me about the last demogame, which i was in. Questions or Comments?

It would be nice, but tought to manage. Maybe have certain intervals where it increase's/decrease's. IE:

War would decrease the amount of money
Currency/Banking would increase the amount
Mass Production, motorized transportation would increase the amount.
Democracy and The Republic might also increase the amount.

Originally posted by Stuck_As_a_Mac
No money, please. Thats been a paperwork headache since this thing started.
And we're going to have to come up with a way to do land, since I dont think anyone feels like sorting through the big red splotch that is Fanatica.

I think... If we can get maybe 3 people running 3 seperate banks... we can manage it easily. Have the main transaction thread (as the one game), but have 3 seperate banks running... each will compete with eachother... etc.

So, ive been rummaging around int the trunks that are the DemoGame. In demogame II, it seems that there where many people involved, many businesses, and quite complicated systems in the works, but running fine nonetheless.

Then I come here and start reading what ive missed. It seems that either people want less rules, or that theres simply 9 people that are active in the rpg. I suggest we take a roll call type thing. Start a new thread and have people post on it, here, simply so we can see who even visits the RPG. The orginization is close to identical to DGII, and that worked fine, as far as i know, so attendance is why the RPG is dying. Look, theres only 4 or so threads in the month of september. Thats my synopsis.

So pretty much... the DGII banks, business, and land was more succesful then the DGIII story/real life thing.

Originally posted by Strider
Basic Guidelines:

• No "godlike" abilities.
  • No science fictional stuff... IE: No "high-powered" jets that can destroy anything when we are only in the age of early flight
  • There is a technology restriction. Items only existece if the demogame has already researched that tech, is currently researching that tech, or if an AI has that technology.
  • The RPG consists of several differant fractions. Conflict, Land, Story, Business, and Nobility. In order to partcipate in one of these you must know the ruleset for it, but you are not required to know the ruleset for all of them.

Characters:
Inside of this game your character is you. You may not have multiple characters inside of the game. You can keep any personal information on your character inside of the character registry thread. (IE: Age, Sex, Height, weight, etc.) [/I][/B]

Err, could we lift some restrictions for Jedi Characters but limit them to the Force Powers they can use? (IE They can use the Force, and also use Lightsabers)

Also, I am against having a restriction of only one character. since I curently have Myself and Mara Jade. Would it be possible to have only a limit of 2 Characters Max?

Yeah, Post a roll call thread IG....

Also, CG.... If this is going to be more like the first RPG, one person having just one extra character will off set the balance. One character only... and that's it.

[edit]Eating my Pie[/edit]

Basic Story Rules

• You can not be god. Storms do not appear when you want them to (you can say stuff like "it was a rainy night", but no "A storm suddenly appears and lightening strikes and kills Mike)
  • Please respect all other players
  • If another player acts "god-like" please do not correct him. Let a manager do it.
  • All Story threads have to be approved by a manager(s)

Non-Player Characters (NPC's)
NPc's aren't going to be like regular "Non-Player Characters" in other RPG's. There is a limit of 2 NPC's per character. NPC's do not:

• Receive a fixed Income
  • Get payment for managing a business or other jobs.
    [/list=a]

• NPC's receive there income from there players main character.

Restrictions on Partcipation in Story Threads:
    ALL characters our aloud to partcipate in story threads. The only rescriction on this is if:

• A Player says there characters is somewhere far away from the area inwhich it is happening.
    • Under certain rule punishments
    • If a player is restricted to partcipate set by the manager(s).
      [/list=a]

Here is an idea. THere could be a NPC and Reg Character swapage. This can only happen if the Main Character goes off someplace outside of Fanatica's RPG (IE like a Diplomatic mission to the Germans or other Diplomatic events) and the Major NPC can take the role of a Major character and the Main Character goes into NPC mode.

For conflicts, I think we should make the usage of a RNG mandatory for the appropriate manager.

I do still think we should have a one-manager RPG.

A couple of things that fall outside the technology restriction, such as the existance of currency, should exist from the start of the game...this RPG, the nonexistance of currency caused some problems early in the game, as there could be no businesses and the only important thing in the game was land ownership.

Also, we need a set government system within the RPG. Should we have it be similar to this RPG, where the government type was based on the current in-game government? (keep in mind that having a republic, democracy, or communism could be very complex) Should we have it based on the leaders of the ongoing DG? Or, should we have no government, or something that hasn't been suggested?

For RP purposes (IE: in the stories) we should use the in-game governments. That adds a dimension to the stories. However, the actual governance of the RPG game should not change and should not be related to the in-game government at all. IE, in a Communism we would NOT abolish currency, centralize RPG businesses, and do away with managers (leaders.) Likewise, in a Despotism, we wouldn't have one player/character/manager decide everything (unless we were using a mono-manager system anyways.)

Originally posted by Grandmaster
For RP purposes (IE: in the stories) we should use the in-game governments. That adds a dimension to the stories. However, the actual governance of the RPG game should not change and should not be related to the in-game government at all. IE, in a Communism we would NOT abolish currency, centralize RPG businesses, and do away with managers (leaders.) Likewise, in a Despotism, we wouldn't have one player/character/manager decide everything (unless we were using a mono-manager system anyways.)

Yeah, for story purposes we should keep with the currenty government.

This could also create some interesting stories... like if they stop in anarchy there could be a "Coup" thread.

Also, I'm working on everything somemore... I just plan on posting the seperate parts in here and then stick them together as we fix/change them.

Top Bottom