1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed: Common Events

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Does "feature-lock" preclude adding more common events? Anyway, if you're still open to new events, here's one inspired by a recent bit on a well-known comedy show.

All You Can Eat

A man attending an all-you-can-eat feast in [city name] has been arrested for sharing a plate of food with his wife, who had not paid to attend the feast.

a) Sharing is caring. Order the man released at once! (+1:) in [city name], +10 to the crime rate)

b) He must learn the lesson taught by a great man: "Don't share the plate if you can't stand the fate -- the fate of justice!" (+1:mad: in [city name], -10 to the crime rate)

And something similar, inspired by an old episode of one of my favorite TV shows.

All You Can Eat #2

A man attending an all-you-can-eat feast in [city name] was kicked out by the host after eating all the food available and insisting on more. The two are now in a legal dispute.

a) 'Tis no man, 'tis a remorseless eating machine. The host was right to kick him out: order the man's lawsuit dismissed. (+1:mad: and +1:health: in [city name])

b) That doesn't sound like a man who's had ALL he could eat. The host should be held liable for false advertising. (+1:) and +1:yuck: in [city name])

c) Order the host to allow the man all he can eat at any time, and allow him to charge spectators a fee to watch. (food stores in [city name] decrease by a random percentage (25-50%, maybe?) and treasury gains random amount of gold (25-50?))

A couple more inspired by the same show:

The Telltale Head

A schoolboy in [city name] has been arrested for cutting the head off the statue of the town's founder. After he spent about 23 minutes and 5 seconds explaining himself to an angry mob, the townsfolk seem ready to forgive him.

a) We cannot tolerate crime, especially when directed at our public monuments. Have the boy prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. (+1:mad: in [city name], -10 to the crime rate)

b) It wasn't until after he removed the head that the townspeople realized that they were taking their heritage for granted, and that's a crime, too. Order the boy released. (+1:) in [city name], +10 to the crime rate)

The Iconoclast

A schoolgirl in [city name] says that her research has uncovered new evidence that the town's founder was nothing more than a murderous pirate. Publication of this research could upset the townspeople.

a) Our founding myths are too important. Persuade the girl to keep the truth secret. (+1:) in [city name], -X (should be a small amount) :science: towards [tech being currently researched])

b) Her cromulent research will embiggen our scientific progress. Let her speak freely. (+1:mad: in [city name] +X (should be a small amount) :science: towards [tech being currently researched])

c) [Lanun only] A pirate? Publish the research and announce a celebration! (+1:) in [city name], +X :science: towards [tech being currently researched])

And finally, one that's NOT from a TV show.

The Commissioner of Lights (Requires a city with a lighthouse)

The Commissioner of Lights of [city name] has an idea for upgrading the city's lighthouse, but needs funding for it.

a) The lighthouse is fine as it is. Besides, we can't afford it.

b) Fund the upgrade. Let's hope we get some benefit out of it. (Subtract X :gold: from treasury, Lighthouse in [city name] yields +1:food: (20% chance) , +1:gold: (20% chance), +1 trade route (20% chance), +10% trade route yield (20% chance) or no effect (20% chance).)

As I said, I don't if "feature-lock" means no more new events, but I enjoyed coming up with these, even if you end up not using them. If you do accept any or all, feel free to modify as you (and/or others) see fit.

2. 1234567890

1234567890 Warlord

Trapped Frostlings

Some Frostlings got trapped and caught by hunters near <City>. What do you want to do with them?

- Just kill them.
    No effect

- (Reqs Good) I pity those miserable creatures. Release them, they are harmless.
    1 :) for 5 turns. 50 % chance to spawn a barbarian Frostling with Weak promotion near <City>

- (Reqs Balseraphs) Strange creatures ! Add them to the freak show, they are amusing !
    Creates a Freak Show or add a Frostling Cage (or human cage if frostling cage doesn't exist)

- (Reqs Calabim) Eat them.
    +5 :food: in Storage Box

- (Reqs Illians) Hire them, they are our brothers.
    Recieve 1 Frostling with Strong promotion in <City>.

Broken Golem

A broken Golem was found near <City>. It seems to belong to the Luchiurp...

- Who cares?
    No effect

- (Reqs peace with Luchiurp) Give it back to the dwarves.
    +2 relations with Luchiurp

- (Reqs peace with Luchiurp) Have it repaired, pay the Luchiurp if necessary.
    Substracts 25 :gold: from your tresaury. Recieve a Wood Golem

- (Reqs peace with Luchiurp) Sell it to the dwarves.
    Recieve 25 :gold:. -1 relations with Luchiurp

- Let's try to repair it ourselves.
    Substracts 15 :gold: from your tresaury. 25 % nothing happens, 75 % recieve a Wood Golem with Weak promotion.

- (Reqs Luchiurp) Repair it and make it stronger so it won't break anymore. Recieve a Wood Golem with Strong promotion.

Epidemic disease (may trigger with Blight)

People in <City> suffer from the blight, more than any other in your empire.

- There is nothing we can do.
    -1 pop in <City>

- (Reqs Herbalist) Our Herbalist has to work harder and test new potions.
    Nothing happens

- (Reqs Sheaim) The End is near, there is nothing to worry about.
    +1 :) in <City>. Recieve 1 Pyre Zombie in <City>

- (Reqs Calabim) Eat everyone before it's too late!
    -3 pop in <City>. +15 :food: in your storage box. All of your vampires gain 3 XP.

- (Reqs Death Mana OR Ashen Veil) I know what to do with the corpses...
    -2 pop in <City> Recieve 2 Diseased Corpses.

- (Reqs Illians) Have the corpses buried in the snow, so they won't pass their disease.
    Nothing happens.

3. 1234567890

1234567890 Warlord

Angry crowd

An angry crowd is standing in front of your palace. They are complaining because they think you don't like pie.

- Who cares?
    +1 :mad: for 10 turns.

- I LOVE PIE! LET THE FESTIVAL BEGIN!
    Substracts 20 :gold: from your tresaury. +1 :) per 2 pop.

- I hate pie. Have them repressed.
    5 turns of disorder in your capital. Your units in the capital gain 5 XP.

- (Reqs Calabim) Have everyone eaten until they stop complaining. I like pie but I prefer human blood...
    -2 pop. +10 :food: in your storage box. All of your vampires gain 5 XP.

- (Reqs war with someone) Tell them our ennemy doesn't like pie.
    Substracts 25 :gold: from your tresaury. Recieve 1 Axeman with enraged and crazed promotion. -10% War Weariness in your capital.

4. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

Loved The Trapped Frostlings event, "eat them" indeed.

LoL, The Iconoclast, an event that enbiggens us all!

5. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

I see what you did there.

6. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Well, back in the first post of this thread Kael wrote that common events should be fun. Even if he doesn't use any of mine, I certainly had fun writing them.

7. 1234567890

1234567890 Warlord

Pacifist demonstration (Reqs war with someone)

Some people are demonstrating against the endless war in <City>.

- Who cares?
    +1 :mad: in <City> for 10 turns.

- They are right, I will start the negociations.
    +1 :) for 10 turns. +25% War weariness in <City>.

- Repress them.
    5 turns of revolt in <City>. All of your units in <City> gain 3 XP.

- (Reqs Barbarian Trait) Send them to the front, so they learn how to fight.
    Recieve an Axeman with Weak promotion. +1 :mad: in <City> for 10 turns.

- (Reqs Calabim) Hmm... let's have lunch!
    -1 pop in <City>. +5 :food: in storage box. -10% War weariness in <City>. All of your vampires gain 2 XP.

Cannibals (reqs starving city)

People in <City> are starving, they have eaten human flesh to survive.

- There is nothing we can do.
    +1 :yuck: and +1 :mad: in <City>. +1 :food: in City tile. The event may happen again.

- (Reqs Evil) Encourage them, this is very useful...
    Your units in <City> gain the Cannibalize promotion. +3 :yuck: in <City>. +2 :food: in City tile. The event may happen again.

- This is disgusting! Stop it now!
    -1 pop in <City>. 3 turns of revolt. Your units in <City> gain 2 XP.

- (Reqs Good) Send some supplies in <City> to prevent them from doing it again.
    Substracts 25 :gold: from your tresaury. +5 :food: in Storage Box. +2 :health: in <City> for 10 turns. +1 :) in <City> for 10 turns.

- (Reqs Calabim) Good job! I just wonder why they didn't share with us.
    +10 :food: in Storage Box. +3 food in City tile.

8. JustinianVII

JustinianVII Prince

Strange Adept
    (requires Mage Guild)

A strange adept has recently joined the mage guild of (city). While the student is incredibly smart and talented, all the other students and even some of the instructors steer clear of him. Many claim he delves deeply in necromancy and dark arts, some have observed strange experiments, and everyone says that anyone who gets in his way often falls victim to some strange circumstance.

-Disturbing, but let the instructors handle it how they will.

-We need all the proficient Adepts we can get our hands on, let him serve the nation.
    (-30 :gold:, +2 temporary :mad: in city, gain Adept with Death I and Entropy I)

-You tell me this as if it's a problem. Have him advance immediately.
    (Requires Evil: -30 :gold:, gain Adept with Death I and Entropy I)

-Dark arts? Expel him from our country, he is not welcome here!
    (Requires Good: +1 temporary :) in city)

9. Skitters

Skitters Prince

I've been kind of thinking about the Council of Esus as a state relegion - assuming that having the religion as state religion could be set as a requirement for an event - perhaps one way to get around not having priests would be to have a Council of Esus congress event that perhaps repeats every 5/10 turns after adapting the faith? This event could give you a host of miracles that could be prayed for (at the cost of some gold)

In a darkened room, in an undisclosed location, you gather with other veiled attendants, after some time one speaks up &#8220;If you have coin, perhaps we could pray for a miracle for you?&#8221;&#8230;

- Pray for the injured 100 gold: 50% chance of CoE units. 25% others
    - Pray for the afflicted 50 gold: 75% chance of curing CoE units of diseased, poisoned etc, 25% chance for non CoE
    - Pray for experience - 100 gold: a CoE unit will gain 0-20 experience points
    - Pray for Shadow - 50 gold: all CoE units are granted Blur and Shadowalk promotions, 50% chance non CoE units will gain them
    - Pray for Support - 200 gold: 3-5 Mistforms, each lasting for 1-3 turns appear (perhaps with the largest stack of troops or with highest experienced troop)
    - Pray for enlightenment - 200 gold: adds x beakers to research
    - Pray for information 200 gold: reveals city data for civs at war with
    - Nothing today thanks

10. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

@Justinian:

Nice event, I think I know where that's coming from. Now all we need is a few events involving the Ministry of Magic.

11. JonathanStrange

It would be good to have the new ideas/events incorporated into future patches.

12. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

The grove:
    requires a forest within the cities big fat cross
    In a forest near (city name), local citizens have found a grove which they claim is sacred. People tell of wounds mircaulously healing and diseases dispersing from drinking the water.
    -Really? That is most fortunate! Our people will benefit from this, surely.
    +1 :health: in (city name)
    -The area should be consecrated by our priests, and deemed a holy place. (requires Fellowship of Leaves)
    the forest is replaced by an ancient forest; +1 :health: in (city name).
    -Have an alchemist distill the waters of the fountain. (Requires Alchemist Lab, 25 Gold)
    Recieve 3 Healing Salves, lose 25 gold.
    -This is a sign from Sirona herself and the proper respects must be paid! (requires Shrine of Sirona in (city name))
    Start a golden age.

13. JonathanStrange

A FoL event!? Yes! That's another one for the Leaf dudes!

14. 1234567890

1234567890 Warlord

Do you like my events? If you hate them, don't read the following lines...

Earthquake

An earthquake has occured near <City>. Some rifts and caves appeared in the earthquake zone.

- So?
    No effect.

- Have the deeps explored by some scouts.
    -25 :gold:. A Dungeon is built near <City>.

- Send some dwarves, maybe they will find a treasure...
    -150 :gold:.
    - 25% a random ressource appears.
    - 25% nothing.
    - 50% a Treasure is found.

- (Reqs Runes of Kilmorph) Make some sacrifices to Kilmorph, our goddess who dwells beneath.
    -50 :gold:.
    Starts a Golden Age.

15. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Well, the threshold question is whether having the mod in "feature-lock" means no new common events. I don't know when Kael last added events, so it could be that he's not interested in any new events at all. If, however, he IS open to new events, then it depends on whether he likes any particular event and feels it can be coded in such a way so as not to disadvantage the AI.

So it's all up to Kael. :worship:

And even if Kael decides that he doesn't want any new events at all, maybe some of these suggestions will make it into some of the modmods that are out there.

16. Switchblock

Switchblock Kuriotate Scholar

As I've said many times before, I'm waiting for someone to get ambitious and make an "Ultimate Event ModMod"

17. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Just for fun, given today's date.

The Threatdown (Requires bears somewhere on the map)

"A jester in [city name] has issued his list of the top 5 threats facing our people. The number 1 threat? BEARS!"

I couldn't really think of an effect, maybe +1:) in the city for 5-10 turns? (He's a jester, after all.) Or 50% chance of +1:) (people find the jester funny), 50% chance of +1:mad: (people get frightened) -- either way, for a short duration, only 5-10 turns.

Seinlanguage

"A jester in [city name] has made a name for himself by finding humor in ordinary everyday life. Many of his tales begin with such phrases as 'Did you ever notice ...?' and 'What is the deal with ...?'" [+1:) in the city for 5-10 turns]

18. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Angry Partisans
    Requirement: Must have made peace with a former enemy within the last few turns.

Some angry citizens are protesting the recent peace treaty with <enemy name>. They claim that <enemy> is a threat to the world, and can't be truste. They are demanding you resume the war, and threatening to do so themselves.

• Have them arrested, make sure they can do no harm (requires Dungeon, +1 :mad: in city for 20 turns)
    • Hire some Asassins to take care of this problem quietly (costs 100 gold, requires Evil alignment)
    • Ignore them(violent option, see below)
    • Send a mediator to talk with them, try to convince them of the virtues of peace (50% chance for +1 :) , 50% chance for violent option)
    • My people are right. I was a fool to sign that peace treaty. Recommence hostilities immediately. (+2 :) in city permanantly, you declare war on <enemy>. -3 relations modifier with <enemy>)

The violent option:
    --------------
    If you are unable to defuse the situation, a random number of troops would spawn around the city. They would start with Enraged, Hidden Nationality, and the alwayshostile effect. The number of troops spawned would be based on city size. The type of troops spawned would depend on what techs you have access to. It would be essentially the same as the Great General Recruit spell, except that the resulting units would be hostile to you.

19. Arathlan

Arathlan Chieftain

Medicinal Herbs
    Requirements: forest in the city radius

A small patch of rare healing herbs has been found deep in the forests near <city name>.

+ Excellent, harvest them immediately (gain 1 healing salve in city)
    + See if we can bring them to the city for propagation. (Costs 25 gold) +1 Health in city permanently)
    + [Requires FoL] We should encourage their growth in the wilderness (Costs 100 gold, 50% chance of +0.5 health per forest in city radius).

20. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Your unit has eaten some magical herbs. +1 movement for 1-3 turns.

Pixies have moved into the forest. +1 :commerce: on the effected tile.

Dwarven refugees set-up shop in your lands. +1 :hammers: on the effected tile.

A gypsy caravan arrives in town. You get 4 choices, +1 :) or +1 :culture: for 10 turns both cost of 50 :gold: or enslave the gypsies for +1 population (evil civs gain +1 :) good civs +1 :mad: for 10 turns), or just send them on their way.