Ideas needed: Common Events

Squatters
Req: An unworked cottage improvement.

Sir, we have learned that an unworked cottage outside of -City- has been inhabited by a band of squatters. They have taken good care of the cottage, agree to pay taxes, and have even made progress on expanding it. However, the land owner demands you force them out. What is your decision?

-Let them stay... so long as they pay their taxes. (Upgrade cottage, +1 unhappy in city for 10 turns.)
-Push them out. And see that the land owner pays to compensate for the unworked property! (Recieve 20-45 gold.)

A chain event, since these seem to be rarer.

Pleasurable Union

Requires: contact with leader of another gender. Good, evil, or neutral, it's all the same.

My Lord/Lady, -leader- of the -civilization- proposes that the two of you meet privately, so that you might discuss the future relations of our empires. And maybe other things; I can provide a bottle of fine wine to make things go smoother, if you like...

-Respectfully tell him/her that any buisness we have to discuss can be handled by my ministers. (Nothing happens. End chain.)
-Alright, but no wine. I have a feeling I will need my wits about me if this is to go well. (+2 relations bonus: 'Past events have brought us closer together.')
-I will leave the choice of vintage up to you, Minister. Now, let me prepare myself... (+3 relations, 'About that night...', continue to next part of chain a few turns later.

Complications
Continues above. Differentiates by gender.

Female leader: My Lady, the results are confirmed, and imply it was a result of that night. How should we handle this?

-Hide this until the child is born, and continue doing so thereafter. Let no one know, ever. (End chain. 33% chance for -1 unhappy in all cities ('Our leader has been hiding her actions from us!'), 33% chance of -6 relations with other civ ('You have hidden my child from me!')
-Do not hide that I am with child, but do not tell who the father is either. (End chain. -3 relations with other civ ('Did that night mean nothing to you?)
-Contact him. I don't care if he's busy with other concerns, we have things to talk about. (Continue chain. Temporary -5 to relations: 'You have caused me great political hardship at home!')

Male leader: My Lord, we have reason to suspect that -Name- has become pregnant with your child. Now what?

-Well, if she doesn't contact me, I won't bring it up with her, and it's like it never happened and no one ever needs to know. Score! (End chain. 33% chance for -1 unhappy in all cities ('Our leader has been hiding his actions from us!'), 33% chance of -6 relations with other civ ('You refuse to accept your child!')
-What do you usually do, Minister? Child support? (End chain. -3 relations with other civ ('Did that night mean nothing to you?)
-Contact her. Let her know I wish to talk things over. Hopefully it hasn't made her crazier than usual... (Continue chain. Temporary -5 to relations: 'You have caused me great political hardship at home!')

Conclusion

-Other leader- wants to know what you think should be done with the child.

-It should be raised by his mother.
-It should be raised by his father.
-It should be raised equally by both of us. (+6 relation bonus. 'In the end, I suppose it's for the best.'
-If you were willing... we could raise it together? (Requires net relations +10. Permanent Alliance.)

One minor thing. Exclude Os-Gabella ;)

I'm sure Hyborem would be a very good father.

I am sure Basium is a good father tooo :p

And Tebryn

...I wonder what would happen if you got this event with Keelyn.That would be disturbing

And Tebryn

...I wonder what would happen if you got this event with Keelyn.That would be disturbing

Isnt Keelyn really 20 something years old, but has the mental personality of a 7 year old hyped up on sugar?

Basium would be the dad that always pressures his kid into the football team, where Tebryn would probably push his kid to cheat at Poker games.

It would be interesting to figure out what each leader did for their Kid... would make some interesting options for that Event's conclusion.

And Tebryn

I considered adding in "he/she was a child, you sick . .. .. .. .!" if you tried it with Keelyn or Cardith, but I thought I'd let other people edit the idea. ;) (More seriously, the final choice set needs appropriate rewards/punishments for choosing the child to stay with one parent or the other. Bonus unit for one, but bad penalty towards the other?)

Maybe tomorrow I'll do a mock version for leaders of the same gender. 'Project Bromance', if you will.

"Oh, Hyborem..."
"Basium..."

And then the One enters creation to stop it. :crazyeye:

(Nah, it'll probably be a comedy version. First some beers, then convenient memory loss...)

Younger Council
Requirements: Elder council
Youths from [city name] are complaining abort the local Elder Council. They claim that its members spend their time on telling stories form their youth instead of doing anything useful. They demand a representation in the council so that they could control its work.

There is a reason why it's called Elder Council. We shall keep to the tradition.
+1:mad: for 10 turns
Let some of the younger citizens join the council.
Elder Council -1:science: +2:culture: +1:) for 10 turns
Get rid of the elders. They have no idea how today’s world work.
Elder Council -2:science: + 4:culture: +1:) for 10 turns
The state should take care that the elders do their job. Assign some official to the council.
Pay 50 Elder Council -1:science: +1:gold:

Philosophers’ Stone
Requirements: Alchemy Lab
Our Alchemists from [city name] have found a way of turning lead into gold!

We should make sure that this knowledge remains a secret. Make sure no one from outside the lab learns about it.
+1 gold resource in [city name]
Precious metals and gems are the source of the wealth of nations. Turn all lead in the country into gold.
+10 gold resources in [city name] + 500:gold: + 100% inflation +50% inflation in all countries you have contact with

Not Philosophers’ Stone
Our Alchemists from [city name] have found a way of turning coal into diamonds.

We should make sure that this knowledge remains a secret. Make sure no one from outside the lab learns about it.
+1 gems resource in [city name]
Precious metals and gems are the source of the wealth of nations. Turn all coal in the country into diamonds.
+10 gems resources in [city name] + 250:gold: + 50% inflation +25% inflation in all countries you have contact with

Strange Fire (chain event)
Requirements: Forest
A fire has consumed a forest outside [city name] The locals claim they have seen a mysterious figure walking into the woods right before the fire.

I’m afraid there is nothing we can do.
Lose forest
Have the forest replanted.
Pay 10:gold:

Witch
Requirements: Strange Fire
Locals from [city name] claim they have found a witch responsible for the forest fire. They are calling for her execution.

Release her we don’t execute on the whim of people.
15% chance of barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name] +1:mad: for 10 turns.
Throw her into the water. If she doesn’t drown that means she is a witch.
50% chance of follow up event.
A forest-burning witch you say. Maybe we could persuade her to join our cause.
Requires Evil. Pay 100:gold: 50% chance of receiving a Mobius Witch. 25% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
We should listen to the people. Kill her.
25% chance of barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name]. +2:) for 10 turns.

Follow up event
The witch does not drown! What should we do?

Kill her before she escapes.

50% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
Let her go.
Requires: Neutral or Evil. 25% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
A true witch? Maybe we could persuade her to join our cause.
Requires Evil. Pay 100:gold: 25% chance of receiving a Mobius Witch. 10% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].

Wealthy noble.
Requirements: Slavery
A wealthy noble in [city name] has passed away. He had no legal heirs but three of his slaves claim to be his children.

They can claim whatever they want. Bastards have no right to the heritage. We should claim his possessions and his slaves for the state.
Receive 100:gold: and two slaves.
I don’t care what they say. We should claim his possessions for the state and sell his slaves.
Receive 200:gold:.
Lawfully or not they are his children. Divide his possessions between them.
Reward: a conviction that you are not a greedy man.

Skilled craftsman
Requirements: Forge
A very promising journeyman in [city name] is infuriating local master craftsman by wasting his time on making jewelry instead of weapons and tools.

We could use a service of a skilled jeweler. Fund him his own workshop.
Pay 500:gold: receive Jeweler in [city name]. If that is not possible then pay 250:gold: [city name] gains jewelry resource.
He should return to his work as a blacksmith.
Forge +2:hammers:

Cookbook
Requirements: Library
An ancient cookbook from the Age of Magic has been discovered in library in [city name].

That’s great news I have always wanted to know what people from that age ate.
Library +1:food:
That can not be a good omen. This book must be cursed. Have it burned.
No effect except a feeling that something bad might follow the first option.

Thundergod
Requirements: Mysticism, city near a mountain, not Infernals, Mercurians, Ilians.
Citizens of [city name] claim that a god of thunders lives atop a nearby mountain. They want to build him a temple.

Do they not know the history of their world? There are no gods of thunders.
+1:mad: for 10 turns
A little bit of ignorance among the masses does not hurt. Fund the temple.
Pay 150:gold: Receive a Pagan Temple.

Sea Serpent named Wilbur
Requirements: Fish resource
A Sea Serpent has been seen hunting near one of our cities. The creature does not seem to be interested in our ships but may be a threat to our fish supply.

There is nothing we can do.
20% chance of losing Fish
We shall send warships to deal with it.
Requires at least one warship. 10% chance of losing Fish 50% chance of barbarian Sea Serpent appearing on tile (independently so you can both lose Fish and have Sea Serpent appear on tile)
If it is not aggressive then maybe we could try to tame the beast.
Requires Animal Handling Pay 100 50% chance of receiving Sea Serpent named Wilbur 25% chance of barbarian Sea Serpent appearing on tile (mutually exclusive) 10% chance of losing Fish (independent)

Archery contest
Requirements: Archery range
The best archers from our nation have come to [city name] to put their skills to the test in a tournament.

That’s nice.
+1:) for 2 turns
This event should become an annual holiday.
Pay 50 Archery range +1:) (permanently)
We should employ the best competitors as soldiers.
Pay 50 Receive 1-2 archers with Drill 1-4 (randomly) and 10% chance of receiving each of the following: marksman, keen sight, precision

Trade centre
Requirements: Market, Moneychanger, Inn, Tavern, not in Mercantilism
[City name] has become an important trade centre. Merchants from all over the country and abroad are flowing to it.

That seems like good news.
+1 trade route in [city name]
We should encourage trade by lowering taxes in [city name].
Requires Foreign trade Market -3:gold: +2 trade routes in [city name]
We should tax them to fill our coffers.
Pay 250:gold: Receive Tax Office with additional +1:mad: (permanently)

A number of those are good, but I don't see why the desirable witch choices should be Sheaim-only. Evil-only you could make a case for, but a civ-specific choice for something as varied as that?

A number of those are good, but I don't see why the desirable witch choices should be Sheaim-only. Evil-only you could make a case for, but a civ-specific choice for something as varied as that?

You've got a point. I'll change that.

Migrants
Requirements: none, this event is supposed to appear mainly early in the game.
A group of immigrants arrived at [city name] they want to settle on the outskirt of the city but locals are distrustful of them.

Let them settle if they want to.
+1 settled citizen (not +1 population so effectively it’s +1:hammers: in city) +1:mad: for 10 turns
They are not welcomed here. Tell them to go away.

Ironman
Requirements: Iron Working, Mage Guild, Forge, not Luchuirp, contact with Luchuirp.
One of our adepts and a blacksmith have created a man from iron. They say they had learned of such creatures from a dwarven merchant but their creation is still far from perfect.

See if we could use their creation for warfare.
Pay 150:gold: Receive Iron Golem with Weak.
Maybe our Luchuirp friends could help improve their work.
Requires at least pleased with Luchuirp. Pay 250:gold: Receive Iron Golem Luchuirp player receives 100:gold:
That’s nice.

Grave robber (this event is supposed to serve as a warning)
Requirements: a city with at least two defenders
A few graves in [city name] have been found open. The bodies are missing.

That’s very disturbing news. Make sure that governor investigates the matter thoroughly.

Self-taught necromancer
Requirements: always happen the turn after Grave robber
Our guard have found the man responsible for grave robbery in [city name]. It seems that he wanted to create his own undead army.

We shall see how his army deals with ours.
A barbarian Adept with Death I and two Skeletons appear outside [city name].

Pirate bay
Requirements: your Privateer on Coast tile without resources within your territory
Captain of one of our ekhm… unofficial ships has found a bay near our shore that would serve as a good place for a port for our “unofficial” fleet.

That’s exactly what we need. Supply him with necessary materials.
Pay 100:gold: receive Pirate Cove on tile.
I’m afraid we can not support his idea right now.

Prison break
Requirements: City with Dungeon and a garrison
There has been a prison break in [city name].

Send forces to find the fugitives.
Unit is immobilized for 1 turn, 25% chance of barbarian Axeman appearing outside [city name]
City guards have to deal with that on their own.
50% chance of barbarian Axeman appearing outside [city name]

Cloverfield
Requirements: Grassland
A meadow covered entirely with four-leaf clovers has been found near [city name]

Abominations! Burn them! And the land around them too!
Grassland turns into Plains
That’s nice. I heard they bring good luck.

Goblin Factory
Requirements: Workshop
Local workshop is gaining renown as a leader in production of garden gnomes.

These little green ugly creatures? Well I don’t mind as long as it brings money.
Workshop +1:commerce:

Breeding in captivity
Requirements: Gorilla Cage, Wolf Pen, Lion Cage, Tiger Cage, Human Cage, Elf Cage, Dwarf Cage, Orc Cage (8 different versions of this event)
Local animal tamer/slave driver is trying to make Gorillas/Wolves/Lions/Tigers/Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Orcs held captive in [city name] breed.

I wish him good luck.
10% chance of receiving respective animal/slave.
That’s brilliant idea. Make sure he receives funding from our treasury.
Pay 20:gold: 50% chance of receiving respective animal/slave.

Ran Boo
Requirements: Priesthood or Iron working or Bowyers or Animal Handling or Poisons
A former monk named Ran Boo is offering his service as a mercenary in [city name]. He’s not cheap but he knows his work.

Hire him.
Pay 300:gold: Receive Monk named Ran Boo with level 6 (promotions spent) Combat I-III, Drill I-II and Strong.
We can not afford his service.
If he is worth so much he must have a lot of money from previous employees. Make sure he does not leave the city alive.
Requires Evil, Assassin/Nightwatch/Shadow/Marksman in a city Pay 50:gold:, 50% chance of receiving 300-500:gold: 50% chance of losing unit.

The Lost World
Requirements: Recon unit next to a jungle tile.
One of our recon units has found a valley populated by huge lizards. It seems that they survived the Age of Ice completely cut off from the rest of the world.

That’s interesting news.

A barbarian Druid, two Lizardmen and Beastmaster all with hidden nationality and held appear on tile.

Younger Council
Requirements: Elder council
Youths from [city name] are complaining abort the local Elder Council. They claim that its members spend their time on telling stories form their youth instead of doing anything useful. They demand a representation in the council so that they could control its work.

There is a reason why it's called Elder Council. We shall keep to the tradition.
+1 for 10 turns
Let some of the younger citizens join the council.
Elder Council -1 +2 +1 for 10 turns
Get rid of the elders. They have no idea how today’s world work.
Elder Council -2 + 4 +1 for 10 turns
The state should take care that the elders do their job. Assign some official to the council.
Pay 50 Elder Council -1 +1
Hehe, I like this one. It should be added in.
Philosophers’ Stone
Our Alchemists from [city name] have found a way of turning lead into gold!

+1 gold resource in [city name]
Precious metals and gems are the source of the wealth of nations. Turn all lead in the country into gold.
+2 gold resources in [city name] + 500 + 100% inflation +50% inflation in all countries you have contact with

Not Philosophers’ Stone
Our Alchemists from [city name] have found a way of turning coal into diamonds.

+1 gems resource in [city name]
Precious metals and gems are the source of the wealth of nations. Turn all coal in the country into diamonds.
+2 gems resources in [city name] + 250 + 50% inflation +25% inflation in all countries you have contact with
These on the other hand, are insane. 100% inflation?!? Even 50% for the diamonds is insane! There is no way having ONE extra resource(Which won't even benefit you unless you trade it) will balance that out. The bonus gold won't either.
Witch
Requirements: Strange Fire
Locals from [city name] claim they have found a witch responsible for the forest fire. They are calling for her execution.

Release her we don’t execute on the whim of people.
15% chance of barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name] +1 for 10 turns.
Throw her into the water. If she doesn’t drown that means she is a witch.
50% chance of follow up event.
A forest-burning witch you say. Maybe we could persuade her to join our cause.
Requires Evil. Pay 100 50% chance of receiving a Mobius Witch. 25% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
We should listen to the people. Kill her.
25% chance of barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name]. +2 for 10 turns.

Follow up event
The witch does not drown! What should we do?

Kill her before she escapes.
50% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
Let her go.
Requires: Neutral or Evil. 25% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
A true witch? Maybe we could persuade her to join our cause.
Requires Evil. Pay 100 25% chance of receiving a Mobius Witch. 10% chance of a barbarian Mobius Witch appearing outside [city name].
What, so players are penalized for doing the right thing and delaying judgement? I like the idea in general, but the event needs to be reworked.

The rest of them seem pretty decent.

The second option for Philosophers' Stone is supposed to be insane but you should take into consideration that it damages your opponents as well. If you only have a few cities against large empires it could hurt them more than you. I know it does not sound like "common event" but 95% of the time you should choose the first option, the second one is for cirqumstances one would try to avoid to help (sic!) a little players that lag behind.
Althought it's true that one extra resource is not enough. I'll change it to 10, but the idea remains the same.

The main idea behind the witch event is risk and it's not really deleaying judgement. Keep in mind that the proof of innocence is dying in the water so it's not exactly the right choice.

Wood events!:

Sir, a wood of -(insert tree here)- has been discovered on one of your properties.

a)use the wood to make bows!
(+1 bow strength if Black Yew)
b)Use the wood to make ships!
(+1 defense for ships if Oak)
c)Be creative!
(Some sort of monetary bonus if Birch, since you can make canoes and paper)

If the tree and choice dont match up, you get nothing.

How about some events that effect units? The Champion event is totally awesome, but more could be added, stuff to give unusual promotions for instance.

Everyone gets annoyed at the goblin event, but it particularly bugs me because it permanently alters the terrain. I had an idea to make it just create a "goblin waste" improvement on the tile, replacing whatever was there before. It would still give -1 food, but you could remove it with an adept with nature I.

Ogre
Requirements: Forest, not Clan of Embers (Orc Cage giving happines for Orcs wouldn't make sense)
A lone wounded young ogre has been seen in forest outside [city name].

If it’s alone and wounded it should be easy to capture. Then we could lock it in a cage for our own amusement. Send people after it.
Requires Evil or Neutral. Pay 50:gold: [city name] gains Orc Cage.
Poor creature. Send people to capture it so we can help it.
Requires Good or Neutral. Pay 50:gold: [city name] gains Orc Cage.
It won’t survive long. Let it die.

Redecoration
Requirements: Palace, or Forbidden Palace, or Winter Palace
Our chief architect suggest adding new decorations to the palace.

We could add some stone statues.
Pay 20:gold: Palace +1:culture:
How about some marble sculptures.
Requires Marble. Pay 30:gold: Palace +2:culture:
Maybe some golden ornaments here and there would do the trick.
Requires Gold. Pay 30:gold: Palace +2:culture:
I think bronze statues would do just fine.
Requires Copper. Pay 30:gold: Palace +2:culture:
I’m afraid we can not afford this.

Great speaker
Requirements: Courthouse (not Governor’s Manor)
One of the lawyers in [city name] is gaining renown for his eloquent, moving and honest speeches. People say he raises the use of language to the rank of art.

I suppose that’s good news as long as he does not use his talent against us.
Courthouse +1:culture:

The next one is in no way a common event. It is based on an anecdote regarding Hannibal Barca and one of his commanders who came up with this idea. Hannibal chose the first option.

Cannibal’s dilemma
Requirements: state religion other than Order, Empyrean, Runes of Kilmorph, not Mercurians, not Infernals (paradoxical, but their army consists only of units that are not alive)

One of your commanders has an idea. If we teach our soldiers to feed on dead bodies of their enemies we could reduce our reliance on supplies and therefore make our army more mobile and less vulnerable to being cut off from the support from our homeland.

An interesting idea, but if they were left without both food and fresh bodies of their enemies they could turn on their comrades. That is the risk we can not take.
Although risky this plan may actually work. I give him my permission to put it into action.
Alignment changes to Evil. If you’re a member of the Overcouncil your Membership changes to No Membership and you go into anarchy for 1 turn. All living units gain Cannibalize. Gain Cannibalistic trait: All living units start with Cannibalize, all living units have a chance equal to ½ of lost HP of becoming Barbarian (per turn). So for example a unit with 10/100 HP has 45% chance of becoming Barbarian.

They Fought like Warrior Poets
Requires: One Melee unit stationed in the city, Cultural output of +2 in City. Unit must Die for event to take effect.
Sire, the patriots of [Civ] charged the fields in battle. They fought like Warrior Poets. They fought like [Civ Adjective]

-We must not waste time grieving, we must use the opportunity they have given us so that they may not have died in vain. No Effect
-Spread the tale of their heroic sacrifice to our people. Pay Small sum. All Cities recieve +15 Culture.
-Construct a small monument to their sacrifice. They fought like true [Civ Adjective]. Pay 40 Gain "Monument to the Warrior Poet" in nearest City. Provides a 33% chance for units built to have Heroic Defense I
-They were true patriots of their nation. Make sure that everyone knows of their sacrifice, and that we honor them accordingly. Pay 100 Gold. Start a Golden age.
-Give every city a monument to their sacrifice. I want it to be known that they fought like [Civ Adjective]. They fought and died for their freedom. Grants a Monument to the Warrior Poet in all cities. Pay Substantial Fee.

You have bled with worse.
Sire, our people are getting rallied behind the efforts of our military and are joining together in local militias.
-This is good news.
Recieve two warriors in [City] with the Valor promotion
-Help get them properly equipped.
Pay small sum. Receive two Warriors with the Valor and Strong promotions.

Arrows are for Sissies
Sire, our front line troops have gotten in an arguement with our archery batallions over which is the better weapon. They have asked for our council.

-Tell them that real men throw swords.
+15% cost of military troops, all Melee units are granted Drill 1 for free. This extends to units that are built after the event.
-Tell them that real men throw swords. Train them in using them for defending our cities if they chose not to use a bow. +20% Cost of Military Troops, Same as above, but also grant City Defense 1.
-Show them that the Distance is the only weapon they need. +15% military cost, Archers are all granted the Dexterous promotion
-I will not get involved with this arguement. No Effect
-Archery is the cornerstone for winning a war. Make some of our melee troops use a bow and see how it makes them understand the concepts. +20% Military Cost, All archers gain Dexterous, and the Fletcher building provide +1 Happy (We are glad you understand the concepts of defense!)

Top Bottom