If you could add great works what would they be?

The Iliad and the Odessy by Homer, if it hasn't been mentioned yet.
The Alexiad by Anna Komnene.
Any of Aristofanis works.

Both GWs of writing. And Homer and Aristofanis as great persons.

I would like to propose a few selections.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

I seen too many guys with land in their head. They never get none under their hand.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

How inconvenient! Always before it had been like snuffing a candle. The police went first and adhesive-taped the victim's mouth and bandaged him off into their glittering beetle cars, so when you arrived you found an empty house. You weren't hurting anyone, you were hurting only things! And since things really couldn't be hurt, since things felt nothing, and things don't scream or whimper, as this woman might begin to scream and cry out, there was nothing to tease your conscience later. You were simply cleaning up. Janitorial work, essentially. Everything to its proper place. Quick with the kerosene! Who's got a match!

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

I don't say he's a great man. Willie Loman never made a lot of money. His name was never in the paper. He's not the finest character that ever lived. But he's a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid. He's not to be allowed to fall in his grave like an old dog. Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Work was like a stick. It had two ends. When you worked for the knowing you gave them quality; when you worked for a fool you simply gave him eyewash. Otherwise, everybody would have croaked long ago. They all knew that.

Some musical suggestions:

I'm Waiting for the Man by Lou Reed
Baba Yetu by Christopher Tin
Cuncti Simus Concanentes by Santa Maria de Montserrat (yes, that is a place; the composer is unknown)
Tank! by Yoko Kanno
Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman
Hello Dolly! by Louie Armstrong
Bohemian Rhapsody by Freddie Mercury
My Generation by Pete Townshend
A Tisket a Tasket by Ella Fitzgerald
Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra
Music of the Night by Andrew Lloyd Webber

ok guys my final selection for the mods debut is set and you can see the selection on my mods page located in the modding forums link in my signature. This is only for the first release after the mod releases I'll still be adding a bunch of great works/civs/balances. If you have any more ideas continue to post in this thread.

Some ideas for Great Works of Writing:

- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax (1971)

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

- A.A Milne, Winnie the Pooh (1926)

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”

- Roald Dahl, The Witches (1983)

“It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.”

- Hans Christian Andersen, The Little Mermaid (1837)

“But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.”

- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights (1847)

"Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends; they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies.”

- Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre (1847)

“Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! - I have as much soul as you, - and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you!”

- Anne Bronte, The Tenant of Wildfeld Hall (1848)

“Beauty is that quality which, next to money, is generally the most attractive to the worst kinds of men; and, therefore, it is likely to entail a great deal of trouble on the possessor.”

- Wu Cheng'en, Journey to the West (1592)

"Nothing on this world is difficult, but thinking makes it seem so. Where there is true will, there is a way"

- JM Barrie, Peter Pan (1904)

"Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it"

- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels (1726)

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old"

OK:

TS Eliot: Four Quartets.

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

WB Yeats: The Tower.

O sages standing in God’s holy fire
As in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing‐masters of my soul.

Mervyn Peake: Titus Groan.

He saw in happiness the seeds of independence, and in independence the seeds of revolt.

Anna Komnene: The Alexiad

Time in its irresistible and ceaseless flow carries along on its flood all created things and drowns them in the depths of obscurity.

Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

It was a pleasure to burn.

Aldous Huxley: Brave New World

But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.

Isn't the rule if its 100 years or older and the original artist is dead than its public domain beside in this situation its fair use and I don't mind putting a clause saying if u want me to remove this art than sure kind of a thing, I fairly sure I'm safe as the newest painting I have is from 1903 that's 110 years old and should be in public domain.

that works as a general rule but i think we are entering some territory where copyright extensions might reach and surpass the 100 year rule (Mickey Mouse being the first to come to mind). in my college days i think the technical rule was up to 70 years after the creator's death with some extensions being allowed but only under specific circumstances. (Disney already extended it a time or two.) of course these things changed if the rights were sold to new owners. probably a quick google search can direct you to some info on public domain properties.

but honestly, no one should be coming after you for infringement anyway unless you are doing something disparaging to the work or profiting from it. good luck on the mod. it will make for some really nice game flavor.

Xbox, according to fair use laws, your mod is safe, as long as you do not mock others' works or profit from others' works (and depriving the copyright holders of potential profit). After all, there are so many mods based on currently copyrighted works by currently living people both here in CivFanatics and in the Workshop that banning mods based on currently copyrighted works is futile.

If you feel like some more abstract works of art.
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/504a6895ecad046d2700000b-1200/hubble.jpg
http://www.presidiacreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/162.jpg
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/hubble120111/h01_hs201111.jpg
Artists could be
The Alpha and the Omega
Hubble Space Telescope
The Big Bang
etc...
[Edit] This is probably a better source
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/

Also
V-J Day in Times Square (aka The Kiss)
Alfred Eisenstaedt
(Art)
Tank Man
Jeff Widener
(Art)
Wait For Me Daddy
Claude P. Dettloff
(Art)
La Jeune Fille a la Fleur
Marc Riboud
(Art)
Earthrise
William Anders
(Art)
Sir Terry Pratchett
The Colour of Magic
(Literature)
Gene Roddenberry
Star Trek
(Literature/Art?)
George Lucas
Star Wars
(Literature/Art?)
Robert Jordan
The Wheel Of Time
(Literature)
Joss Whedon
Firefly
(Art?)

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Kurt Cobain
(Music)
Thunderstruck
AC/DC
(Music)
Song 2
Blur
(Music)
Hallelujah
Jeff Buckley (and yes i know its a cover buts its still amazing)
(Music)
Hurt
Johnny Cash
(Music)

Also If you could release a mod with just the Great works added that would be awesome
Numerous Edits (I could seriously keep adding to this list ALL DAY)

And some more
give it a bit of Australian Culture (lol)
Waltzing Matilda
Banjo Paterson
(Literature)
A Child in the Dark, and a Foreign Father
Henry Lawson
(Literature)
North-east View from the Northern Top of Mount Kosciuszko
Eugene von Guerard
(Art)
Shearing the Rams
Tom Roberts
(Art)

some historical works

Great writing: Chronicle of henry of livonia - Henricus De Lettis (henry of latvia)

An icelandic saga maybe? Several are particularly well known but i cant type or pronounce the names

The life of alexander nevsky: possible great work of art or writing.

Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman
Hello Dolly! by Louie Armstrong
A Tisket a Tasket by Ella Fitzgerald
Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra
Music of the Night by Andrew Lloyd Webber

Those made me so happy to see, you have no idea.

Some obscure (world-wide) choices from my home country:
http://akorra.com/2011/11/13/top-10-korean-paintings/

A Cat and a Butterfly, by Kim Hong do (late 18th century Korean painter)

A Dream of Amusement in the Garden of Peach Blossoms, by Ahn Gyeon (15th century Korean painting)

Two Men Wrestle, by Kim Hong-do (18th century Korean painting)

A View of Geumgang, Jeong Seon (18th century Korean painting)

Mother Dog, by Yi Ahm (16th century Korean painting)

In a similar vein, it would be nice to see a couple of works from obscure countries like Poland as well. Or maybe that "famous" Venetian trumpeteer, one of whose songs is Venice's Peace and War theme (though they do, notably, have the Venetian painter Bellini in the game already).

Some more:

Franz Kafka: The Trial

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.

Philip Larkin: The Whitsun Weddings

Our almost-instinct almost-true:
What will survive of us is love.

George Orwell: 1984

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird (not in any of the GW lists people have put up, though I could have sworn I'd seen it in somewhere)

The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.

JRR Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

(I know that this is a Euro-centric list, but my knowledge of world literature is even more limited than my knowledge of Western literature, so I apologise).

They should find a way to fit movies in there, maybe with a Hollywood wonder in the modern era you start getting "Great Directors" :).

Some more for Great Works of Writing:

- Charles Perrault, Cinderella (1697)

"Everyone stopped dancing, and the violins ceased to play, so entranced was everyone with the singular beauties of the unknown newcomer"

- Lord Byron, Don Juan (1819)

"All who joy would win
Must share it - Happiness was born a twin"

- Robert Louis Stevenson, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1886)

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm"

- Bram Stoker, Dracula (1897)

"There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights"

- Agatha Christie, Murder on the Orient Express (1935)

"The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances"

- CS Lewis, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (1950)

"If you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again."

Music
Guilty Gear Complete Box Set
BlazBlue Box Set

Literature
Childhood's End if it isn't there already
Dragonball (shut up, you loved it too, and where would we be without those Vegeta memes?)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (there is a manga)
A Certain Magical Index
A Certain Scientific Railgun

And a couple more:

Amin Maalouf- Samarkand (OK this probably isn't quite GW material, it's just one of my favourite books):

Life is like a fire. Flames which the passer-by forgets. Ashes which the wind scatters. A man lived.

John Donne: Songs and Sonnets

Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it?

We really should make a decision on what movies count as (literature or art)
I personally think Art but then...

Top Bottom