IGN Civ 6 stream live (ended)

There are at least two wonders that require you to have founded a religion and grant Great Prophet points, so I'd be shocked if there isn't some kind of use for them.

OK that is a good point...If something comes After a religion and grants Great Prophet points, there is probably some special use.

To me, the most natural mechanic would be that later great prophets have some ability besides founding a religion. The first X found religions, and maybe you can't get more than one, but after that there should still be great prophets, but with other abilities instead. There's lots of potential abilities of course, various things that improve religions or faith generation.

didn't we see a screen saying that 'all great prophets already appeared' in some video? I think this happened rather early in the game.

To me, the most natural mechanic would be that later great prophets have some ability besides founding a religion. The first X found religions, and maybe you can't get more than one, but after that there should still be great prophets, but with other abilities instead. There's lots of potential abilities of course, various things that improve religions or faith generation.

Would be hilarious actually if later era great prophets were basically televangelists and shucksters. Maybe that would make a good mod.

Special ability: Builds a tile improvement that is replica of Noah's Ark, filled with animatronic dinosaurs.

Make it happen, modders.

Who is the woman from Firaxis, what's her role? Am I imagining it or is she the voice from the first look videos :think:

Sarah Darner, the associate producer, I believe.

I am a little concerned that her Civ experience only consists of Civ Rev and Civilization 5. :sad:

If Apostles add beliefs to religion, then it'd make sense to me that further Great Prophet points could go towards generating Apostles. Dunno if that's how it actually works, but it seems like it'd be one direction it could go.
Hmm. Im pretty sad apostles act as mini prophets. I thought there would be a rock paper scissor mechanic between missionaries, apostles, and inquistors.

Sarah Darner, the associate producer, I believe.

I am a little concerned that her Civ experience only consists of Civ Rev and Civilization 5. :sad:

Well I wouldn't worry about that, producers just run the scheduling, budgeting and that sort of thing, they don't have creative input.

Well I wouldn't worry about that, producers just run the scheduling, budgeting and that sort of thing, they don't have creative input.

Well, then no worries. :)

Kind of interesting that we haven't seen any civs that really focus on religion yet that I can remember. I wonder if this means we'll be seeing some of that very soon. I imagine Saladin of Arabia has a heavy religion focus, and maybe Afonso of Kongo too.

So there goes another video that shows that there is still 0 signs of competent AI presence in the game. Is there any proof so far it can finally move and shoot? It's funny how they dodge the question about AI around 19-21min video. They basicly say bla bla bla we have agendas and barbarians are cool:crazyeye:

So there goes another video that shows that there is still 0 signs of competent AI presence in the game. Is there any proof so far it can finally move and shoot? It's funny how they dodge the question about AI around 19-21min video. They basicly say bla bla bla we have agendas and barbarians are cool:crazyeye:

I'd say it's very likely it can move and shoot just based on the fact that all they'd have to do get that functionality is glance at the code in the community balance patch for Civ V. I haven't really seen a lot of videos of ranged units at all though. They did say to expect catapults to be used in city assaults.

So if I understand it right, you need to have religion as a defense now? If you ignore it (maybe you don't even found one) and some other civ gains the upper hand against the other religions you can only sit there and look how you lose?
While religion was too meaningless in Civ 5 for me, this seems hard.
You have to do science, obviously, even if you don't want to win the space race. You have to do culture as defense against cultural victory, and for civics among other reasons. You have to do military to not be conquered. And now you have to do religion so that no other civ can gain that 50% with all other civs. While this leads to some awesome strategical opportunities, it may also lead to a lot of "have to do this in order not to lose" instead of "I want to do this to win".

There are people suggesting that to defend against religion you will need to attack that country with the religion. I'm not sure this will work. If you take over their cities that city won't stop being religious, instead the percentage of your population that follows that religion will increase bringing your opponent closer to a victory.

The way I see it, the only way to beat religion is to have a religion.

So if I understand it right, you need to have religion as a defense now? If you ignore it (maybe you don't even found one) and some other civ gains the upper hand against the other religions you can only sit there and look how you lose?

You can convert to one of less popular religions and use it to protect your lands against missionaries.

You could beat them in some other victory type.

Also, I don't think AI winning religion will be a common case.

P.S. A funny thing is - if you target conquest, you may end up losing religious victory by capturing too many cities of that religion :)

While religion was too meaningless in Civ 5 for me, this seems hard.
You have to do science, obviously, even if you don't want to win the space race. You have to do culture as defense against cultural victory, and for civics among other reasons. You have to do military to not be conquered. And now you have to do religion so that no other civ can gain that 50% with all other civs. While this leads to some awesome strategical opportunities, it may also lead to a lot of "have to do this in order not to lose" instead of "I want to do this to win".

If someone is spamming religion like that, that is when you invade them and take away their ability to keep doing it.

I like it a lot. It restores the possibility of losing if you sit back and play idly. Civ IV had this as well, in the form of Domination victories based on the number of tiles acquired, versus just taking all the capitals. It made it super dangerous to not intervene in other people's conflicts. Sorely missing in Civ V, hope that's back too.

You can convert to one of less popular religions and use it to protect your lands against missionaries.

You could beat them in some other victory type.

Also, I don't think AI winning religion will be a common case.

P.S. A funny thing is - if you target conquest, you may end up losing religious victory by capturing too many cities of that religion :)

Your P.S. is one of the reason why I think you need a religion. If you convert to another religion like you suggested, you will still need a lot of faith to get the missionaries/apostels for defending against other religions. Do they still get more expensive? I guess we don't know that yet, but given that settlers and builders get more expensive...

Is it somehow possible to make a religion "yours" ?

E.g. by getting another players holy city ?

Would be a mean way to steal a religious victory away by launching a full out war on the enemies holy city to take control over the religion by force :O

Top Bottom