Illegal Immigration

Slightly radical idea:

1. Allow everyone free access to any nation they wish.
2. After a period of time, possibly as t -> infinity, the world will settle down and all areas of land will be able to support the number of people that live there. If it can't, people move out. If it can support more, people move in.
3. The world reaches stable population limit and everyone lives happily ever after.

The Europeans are getting what they deserved. They robbed African and Asian countries dry and I think the people deserve some of their wealth back.

luiz said:
Also important to mention that regardless of restrictive laws, the immigrants will always find a way in.

Only a lunatic could thing that africans can be stopped of immigrating to Europe, or mexicans to the US. Immigration for many people is a matter of life and death, and so they will emmigrate or die trying.
It is a matter of life or slavery, but that does not convince most immigrants.

If we can minimise illegal immigration we can minimise slavery in the US.

It is true some fools will still get through, but there number would be much fewer.

blindside said:
The Europeans are getting what they deserved. They robbed African and Asian countries dry and I think the people deserve some of their wealth back.
I did not rob the Asians and africans? Why should I suffer?

I am against letting everyone in. When America was being built we had many factories and ample land to live on. Time have changed, we are adjusting to a service economy and land is getting scarcer than before. We don't need the men of other nations anymore since we have enough of our own people. It sucks that they won't be able to seek a better live blah blah blah but the end result is tough luck.

Kick them out. We've got cheap labor that don't know how to speak English. We call them high school students.

rmsharpe said:
Kick them out. We've got cheap labor that don't know how to speak English. We call them high school students.
I resent that :lol:

blindside said:

African wealth?
:p

Also, my country didn't have colonies there. Just Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium and Italy didn.
7 of currently 25 EU states, with several others standing outside too.
Again, colonisation, at least in Africa, ment progress and infrastructure aside from foreign rule and colonisation itself.
Without it, Africa would be in even worse state than today.

chunkymonkey said:
Slightly radical idea:

1. Allow everyone free access to any nation they wish.
2. After a period of time, possibly as t -> infinity, the world will settle down and all areas of land will be able to support the number of people that live there. If it can't, people move out. If it can support more, people move in.
3. The world reaches stable population limit and everyone lives happily ever after.

So, your idea is: let them all in, wait until the rich states collapse financially,
and be happy?

luiz said:
Let them all become full citizens.
Why should the place you're born determine where you can live? That's ridiculous thought, created by ridiculous nationalism.

Because it's a way to avoid serious religious or ethnic conflicts? To protect your own identity?

Squonk said:
Again, colonisation, at least in Africa, ment progress and infrastructure aside from foreign rule and colonisation itself.
Without it, Africa would be in even worse state than today.

How do you know it would be worse off without colonization?

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she with silent lips. "Give me
your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The
wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless,
tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

-Emma Lazarus (From the Inscription on the Statue of Liberty)

If someone travels to the United States and wishes to become an American, I see no reason whatsoever, why they should not be able to. I understand that there must be limits however, to keep the immigration system legal and fair to all. But if it were up to me (as INS Czar) I would increase immigration quotas across the board ~ again as long as the immigrants intended citizenship as their end goal.

But even though I can see benefits for both sides, I definitely do not support work visas or temporary work permits for non-residents. As others have mentioned, the American economy has been shifting from manufacturing-based to service-based and as long as there are people out of work, we don't need new low level/entry level workers to increase competition for those jobs even further.

The United States Government needs to work much more closely with Mexico and other Central American and South American nations to alleviate some of the great economic disparities and human rights issues that are causing the illegal immigrant problem. And we also need to seriously address the underground Asia --> America slave trade where people are smuggled here only to end up kept as de facto slaves of organized criminals.

America was once a beacon of hope for people from all nations. There is No American Race.. All of our ancestors (even the native Americans) came here from other lands. We need to preserve and cherish this legacy that has made us a people with such wonderful diversity.

-Elgalad

GerrardCapashen said:
How do you know it would be worse off without colonization?

How do You know it'd be better?

Without colonisation, Africa south to Sahara with some xceptions perhaps would have no electricity, no communication system, no education system, no health system, no modern economy, no state but some tribal organisations.

My country's been colonised too.
And it is interesting to observe. In XIX century, it was divided in 4 parts.
One under Prussian (German) controlOne under Austrian control, autonomous
One under Russian control, though part of it was temporily autonomous

Prussian rule was awful when it comes to national and religious stuff, Polish language, culture and catholic faith were being persecuted,
but it left good infrastructure at least.
It actually tried to do sth good with these lands. It wasn't that hard, these lands were always better developed than the rest, but still.

Austrian rule was generally the most mild, but the emperor didn't care about the economy very much. The region has moderate infrastructure.

The part that belonged to Russia, but was temporily autonomous, the infrastructure comes from times when Poles were in charge mostly.
Thanks to it, western Poland was the most industrialised part of Russia.
Still, the eastern part is much worse, and the lands directly under Russian control, the situation was hopeless.
Not to mention that Russian rule was the ruthless of all.

Perhaps Poland would be better off if it was independant - it's definitely true when it comes to the east, but west - I'm not sure.

And Africa? Africa was centuries back in comparison to Russia, not to mention Germany or Britain.
Surely the rules were hard, racist, insert whatever You wish here,
but in the end, they turned benefitial for African people.
Also, note that if certain European states wished to keep the African states for a longer times, they were able to do that. African states should be thankful for them for freeing them freewillingly.
Us, Germany, Russia and Austria even didn't want to greant independance (at least not without keeping some).

The ease of illegal immigration and the farcical nature of UN provisions on Refugees encourage people all over the world to abandon their nations at the first sign of distress, instead of doing what everyone else in history has done . . . stayed and worked on the problem! It also gives dissidents encouragement, since they know they can always fall back on a luxurious Western lifestyle if they fail to disrupt the stability of their country. Not to mention the fact that they clog up the bureaucracies of the countries they target, cost them a fortune and make the peoples of those countries hostile to ALL immigrants.

Having said that, I'm totally for immigrants to the West; with a falling birth-rates, we badly need them. However, we should have control of it, and the choice to select peoples according to 1) their age 2) their skills and 3) the integratability of their culture. :D

I will add my two cents!! Illegal immigration should be STOPPED! If you wish to come to the US go through the normal channels. I live in Las Vegas and it seems like I am living in another country. I am a minority with tons of channels dedicated to latino and on and on. If you want to visit here no problem do your culture thing speak your language. If you intend on becoming a citizen then learn freaking english!! I am pissed at both political parties and our government for not making the English language the national one.

Now, do not get me wrong I do not mind someone keeping their culture alive while living in the US. What I object too is speaking in another language all the time which in essence ditches what this country is about and brings in another culture pushing aside the values and cluture that has made America great. I think we should also enforce the laws and arrest/fine all businesses who hire illegal immigrants. All illegals in the US some 15 million should be rounded up and sent back to points of orgin. Mexico encourages their citizens to go to the US multiply bring your money back to Mexico. They are doing just that and in a few more years latino will dominate the South West. This is not right America is not about one race of people dominating the country it is about everyone becoming an American by living by the way all of the previous people have that came here from every nation on earth. Learn how to be American not retain your old culture. Sheesh, I am done ranting. :D

Top Bottom