I'm doing it! Clean re-install!

Think that was from @Seraiel? At least I saw a post like that in the HoF forum. Probably a month or two back.

There are other way to solve Windows fixes too.
yeah, I saw that later. Gumbo and I were discussing the issue via PM some months back when he had the issue. But yeah, that was PM and not public.

Don't know what the situation is for those games since they are still in development (but I saw something about 'Linuxification' from the Camelot team), but it's much easier to run games on Linux these days than it was only a couple years ago. Main reason is something called DXVK and Wine. Don't use steam myself, but they have something similar as well called Proton. Development and funding is much better these days, partly due to what steam/valve have done (they actually deserve praise there, despite how much I dislike their philosophy and DRM 'infrastructure' otherwise). DXVK is simply fantastic news for us.

Wine has been great and all, but it hasn't been specifically focused on games, while these newer developments are.

Of course it varies from game to game, and I don't know how well these two would work, but statements like "games don't work on Linux" is much less true these days than it was. There are sites like https://www.gamingonlinux.com/ too, with dedicated people who seem to get just about anything to run. And awesome people like Adamhm on the GOG forums, who has made many installation scripts that does everything required with basically a click of the mouse, including the installation script I use for Civ4.

(and this is besides other awesome news like many independent game studios releasing proper Linux builds, which for some odd reason multi-billion dollar companies are unable to do...)

If you or others are intrigued by Linux and the other opportunities with it (like control of your own computer, or an operating system that isn't a resource hog), then I'd recommend to try out a dual-boot system (both Windows and Linux installed side by side). That is how I started out. Eventually I pretty much never fired up Windows, so I simply removed it. That is many years ago now, and I haven't missed it.

Rule of thumb is someone has already had the issue if your installing a game that is over 10 years old.

Basically right click on your shortcut and change from winxp compatibility to Windows 7.

I was playing with this issue for years. Albeit on full screen mode the issue went away so I felt no need to fix it. Was mainly an issue for SGOTM where ideally you don't want to be in full mode due to the game crashing when you Alt tab between screens..

Actually, there is. That is what DXVK is about. I'm less sure about DX12 (I don't keep up on these things any more), Vulkan is better anyway, but after a quick search I saw something about Microsoft of all crooks porting it to Linux. Maybe needed for all these new corporate gaming services. Like almost all servers on the planet, those too probably run on Linux.

Top Bottom