iMilitary based game similarn depth to Civ?

human101101

Chieftain
Hi All,

I have really enjoyed Civ 4 and 5. I find I really enjoy the military strategy the most. Can anyone suggest games (Mac or PC) that simulate military scenarios to the same depth that Civilizations does?

Just so I am clear, I am not looking for a first person shooter, but rather a strategic military simulation. I am primarily interested in the time arena of 1939 to present/future. Thank you.

UPDATE: Just wanted to mention the games I was already familiar with with pros/cons

1. Harpoon (all versions) - Great game but interface is very lacking in my opinion
2. TOAW (1 - III) - Almost too strategic. I would like to be able to give individual units orders rather. Interface is also pretty bad.

The Hearts of Iron games sound like exactly what you're after (WWII grand strategy) - except they go into way way more depth and the learning curve is kind of a brick wall. They are, however, fantastic.
Hearts of Iron 2 (with expansions) is the more polished experience
Hearts of Iron 3 had a very rocky start, but it's starting to be absolutely exceptional and the second expansion has just been released.

Take a look over at paradox plaza. You may find some of them too strategic, but they're what I'm playing right now.

Sounds like you might want to look into the Hearts of Iron games.

Wow, ninja'd

yeah, hearts of iron sounds like it to me.

I'll add to the group recommending Hearts of Iron. I'd start off with HOI2, myself, since the third one only adds more complexity to it such as that I can't even get my head around it all yet...

The Paradox games are generally quite good once polished--they sound like what you are going for.

I'm going to have to disagree with some of my fellow posters, though, and recommend you jump right into HoI3 like I did (no HoI2 first). Although it seems overwhelming at first, you will pick up on it in no time. Just don't play a major like the UK, Japan, France, or the Soviets first. They have too much stuff to keep track of.

I've always felt the best nation to start HoI as is Germany. Yeah, you'll probably make a mess of everything, but you'll learn pretty much all the basics from it, there's always stuff to do, and you're not sitting around getting bored while you wait for someone to invade you.

Top Bottom