Immortal Cookbook II: Pericles of Greece

I'd like to withdraw my game from the voting as I unfortunately can't guarantee that I'll be able to complete each round. I consider this game won anyhow in several of the saves. :)

Round I report:

Spoiler :
Settling in place. Techs: Agri->AH, while building Scout -> Worker -> Settler.

Lincoln comes from the east. Far east probably.

Found horses, so I'm gonna put some wheels on them.

Bismark is the founder of Buddhism.

Khmer to the east, probably closer than Lincoln. Unless Link circled from somewhere to get to me.

Mining -> BW next. My scout meets a barb archer to the east. Great, I was going to get my settler there first to block Sury. Switching to southern horses. But my scout actually wins! Change of plans, roading east.

Meet Cathy and found Sparta:

My super scout survives a battle with a Warrior (mine has Woodsman II and is on a jungle tile). It has 8XP now, if only I could get it to 10... Ok, if he makes it out of this alive, I'm giving him a name!

No dice... Tomb of the unknown Scout it is.

Pottery -> Writing.

Corrinth founded.

GS in the capital, settled for Academy.

Converting to Buddhism. The lesser evil with Sury near me... And maybe I'll get some Buddhist loving and free techs...

No techs, but get copper for horses from Bismark.

Not looking good...

And sure enough, Sury declares war on me... Let's see, chariots versus Swords...

Two more turns. How fitting that I'm facing the stack'o'doom...

At least Sury only has 7 units to my 9, so I won't lose the city on the first turn. Plus I'll get rid of some of my money issues when my troops die! Great hopes! :p

Four defeats and three victories! I'm alive! Yes!

What to do... I have two chariots with Flanking 1 and about 16% retreating chances, but I'll have a Phalanx coming out through slavery. I decide to wait in the city.

And Sury retreats! Yes, yes, yes!

Ok, not out of the woods yet, so I'll play another turn to see if I lose Sparta (in which case it is pretty much game over...)

THIS IS SPARTA! Sury's pissing his pants.

The end. And yet, not.

State of the world: I have 6 cities, a terrible tech rate (which can be improved by swtiching some tiles around to get math in under 10 turns) since I've had to fend off a lot of barb action and I've recently switched to production again to get those Phalanx out. I'm also last in pretty much everything except land, and I'm at war with Sury.

Let's see if anyone did worse.

Attachments

• Immortal Carl Corey 2 AD-0025.CivBeyondSwordSave
    186.3 KB · Views: 66
Chomp.

Vista did some auto update thingy, somehow it managed to eat all of my saved game files across the board (including losing an almost won Rome: Total War save I had been working at off and on for about three months, argh!)

Looked at some spoilers, and my round was not as impressive as some of the rounds posted here, so no great loss.

I think the loss of my saved games was the final straw. I don't have as much time and/or energy for Civ at this time (started playing poker again), so I'd like to request a removal from the roster. I will still be following this thread/game and I will try to play the rest of the rounds but I won't promise anything.

As Gliese and Soirana have retreated from this game, this is the final roster for it:

ABigCivFan
Araneya
RRRaskolnikov
Jet
Kaleb
Abegweit
KingMorgan
carl corey

We've got 8 players, which is a decent sized roster, especially for Immortal. :) Voting begins today and ends Sunday night (or earlier if we get all the votes by then).

If I've missed a valid save (1AD) please let me know.

Too late to join, but I just played up to 1 AD anyways...

no huts?
Spoiler :

What a brutally stong start:eek:

Move warrior on plainshill, find corn, move settler 88 on forest, else too many FPs...
View attachment 193641

My almost immortal scout had a surpisingly long live, but then a barbarcher ended it... ...still, he revealed quite some map and I have already marked some nice citysites... ...IF I can get them all, the AI will def. have some problems here.
View attachment 193642

Things went pretty smooth... ...forgot to make more screens... ...have 6 cities + 2 settlers + two spots blocked + decent chance on capturing a barbcity (some swords are on the way...)
View attachment 193644
Have changed cityplacement a bit, due to new info...

Getting 10-11 cities up and running with this land actually means "game over" for the AI...

Worders:
Zeus, GLib (whipped this round in capital), Academy (in capital), Panth (can be whipped next turn in helpercity)

Army:
Mainly archers, some swords, not impressive, but politics are OK, some 3-5 swords more are planned, since I only stole iron some turns ago...

Tech:
View attachment 193643
Trading along with Dari, not beeing able to trade for Math huts a little...

Strat:
Breed GSs in Capital +1 helpercity, else cottage everything and sprint to lib

Having read now the othe spoilers, I know now my report isnt detailed enough, here comes some more (I also seem to have expanded into the opposit direction then the rest, leaving me with no horses and no bronze:lol:)
Spoiler :

Research:
Agri, Wheel, Pot, Mining, Archery, AH, Bronze, Writing, Aest, Myst, Poly, Lib, Priest, CoL, trade for Alpha, Iron, Monarchy.

Early strat:
Getting huts up along the FP river, settle along FP river, settle quick and grab lots of land, run GS in 1 city to get academy, the focus on army (I only have archers), in parallel build lots of settlers (7) and workers (10), get some nice wonders because I delay trading Aest quite some time: Zeus (with Eles, for Power), Pant (GPs) and the GLib (more GPs). Getting these 3 wonders delayed expansion and infra quite a bit, because I had to chop the GLib and the Pant without math...

I have build baracks in all cities I think, to keep power up and havent joined any religion. There is already war among the AIs, but I dont remember the enemies...

No huts, no events (says so in the first post ;) ). The idea was to keep things as uniform as possible between the different players so that we can compare saves more easily.

Agreed about the start being very good. For those of us who don't usually play Immortal though it doesn't hurt to get a good start like this. And the Immortal barbs gave me quite some trouble which set me back a lot. I had much better rounds (until I got DOWed by two AIs at the same time :lol:) in IMCI when I could easily contain the barbs through fogbusting or in EMCI due to having to deal with Emperor barbs instead of their Immortal cousins. :D

You're free to play shadow rounds as long as you put them in spoilers like this one. As are the other people who have said they were going to play but didn't get to post a round 1 save. Hope to see you around for future IMC games as a member of the roster. :)

My Votes:

1. Kaleb 3pts. Good city placements, good city specialization, good overall development and potential.

2. Abegweit 2pts. Good science rate, good overall development, but the big downside is the capital, after moving to this location you gained 6 not so useful plain tiles hence dramatically reduced the potential for a super Beauracracy capital, this capital will grow a lot slower than others and produce much less science than capitals submitted in the other games.

3. Jet 1pt. Good city placements, good potential but slightly underdevelopped.

Hi people,

I quit home for 4 days and I don't have time for votes... :( I don't want to do that in a hurry... (it woudn't be fair with all those good saves)
I will try to find more time for the next round... again sorry about that

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Too late to join, but I just played up to 1 AD anyways...
Snaaty, I can't download your game. When I try, I get Jet's instead. I think that this is because you both have uploaded games with the same name. Could you rename it to something else? I'd really like to see it. :D

Snaaty, I can't download your game. When I try, I get Jet's instead. I think that this is because you both have uploaded games with the same name. Could you rename it to something else? I'd really like to see it. :D

Just rename it when you download. ;)

Just rename it when you download. ;)
Doesn't work. It shouldn't be a problem anyway since Firefox will create a second file with (2) in the name while IE overwrites the previous one. I tried deleting the other game. Doesn't work either. :confused: I even tried clearing the cache.

One strange fact is that after I download it, the number of views doesn't change on either Snaaty's file or Jet's file.

If you can access it, can you upload a copy for me? Thanks.

Doesn't work. It shouldn't be a problem anyway since Firefox will create a second file with (2) in the name while IE overwrites the previous one. I tried deleting the other game. Doesn't work either. :confused: I even tried clearing the cache.

One strange fact is that after I download it, the number of views doesn't change on either Snaaty's file or Jet's file.

If you can access it, can you upload a copy for me? Thanks.

Do you get to choose where to put the file as you download? Perhaps you somehow get an automatic download to a certain folder where it overwrites by default? No idea never had that issue, should be something you can change in settings in that case.
I checked the links and they are definitely not the same. The only other explanation I can give that makes sense with what you're saying is that Snaaty accidentally clicked on Jet's save when he uploaded.

Do you get to choose where to put the file as you download? Perhaps you somehow get an automatic download to a certain folder where it overwrites by default? No idea never had that issue, should be something you can change in settings in that case.
Firefox has a mode in which you automatically download to a certain folder but it doesn't overwrite. As I said earlier, it changes the file name to put a (2) in it. You are right. It is indeed possible to change the settings. Same result either way. I also tried downloading from a different computer, one that doesn't even have civ on it. Still the same result.

I checked the links and they are definitely not the same.
I have checked them too and I agree. They are not the same. It remains that I get the same file when I download.

The only other explanation I can give that makes sense with what you're saying is that Snaaty accidentally clicked on Jet's save when he uploaded.
So you haven't downloaded the file and don't know whether the two are the same? This explanation is possible but I rather doubt that Snaaty has a copy of Jet's save.

I downloaded without problems looked very much like Snaaty file:)
At least maches his screenshots:lol:

Renamed it and uploaded. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Snaaty-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    183 KB · Views: 79
I downloaded without problems looked very much like Snaaty file:)
At least maches his screenshots:lol:

Renamed it and uploaded. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the work, friend, :) but in my computer it's still Jet's file and doesn't match the screenshots. I gotta think the problem has something to do with my Internet provider. Tomorrow I will try another.

My save is just that good.

Top Bottom