Imperium Romanorum

I'll be joining as well as Marcus Swimandciv Camillas.

Family History

The ancient House of Camillas dates back to the legendary founding of Rome. For centuries, their men found themselves as trusted advisers of the kings. During the war with Korea, Cornelius Camillas was considered vital in his role of organizing the supply of the army. During the reign of King Pompilius, the Camillas House left the public service and spent most of the next centuries dedicated to learning. They were dissatisfied with the corruption of the monarchy, but they found the alternatives to be despicable. Marcus Camillas opposed Superbus and was forced to flee Rome. He returned to Rome during the coup and recruited support from the populace. He now resides in Rome with the intention of helping to build a new government that will avoid the tyranny of Superbus.

In that case, I won't be in Rome.

Of too Seoul with you then.

I'm not discarding Antium yet. :p

Seoul is almost certainly superior, in that it was once a capital (probably has good land and a fair population), and in that it lacks a current occupant to contest with you for influence.

Yes, I know. However, I'd rather see the map before deciding.

I'll pass, thanks, not really that interested.

I'm totally lying. Of course I'm in - as the gens Noctus. I'll do creative stuff when it's not 11:30PM with a screaming baby to deal with.

Oh dear GOD YES! Hallelujah! I am joining!

Domum Flavius

It's leader, Nero Magnificum Dirige Tambien Flavius, is a great guy. :) He has visions of a great big palace in Rome. ;)

House History

Domum Flavius is directly descended from the great Flavius Dynasty that ruled the Imperium hundreds of years ago. Indeed, Nero Magnificum Dirige Tambien Flavius is a direct descendent of the first emperor of the Flavius Dynasty, Magnificum Veteris Guido Tambien Flavius. The time of the Flavius Dynasty was one of great prosperity for the Roman people, when gold flowed in through the multiple trade routes.

Unfortunately, the Flavius Dynasty ended with the last and least worthy member dethroned.

Now, Nero Magnificum Dirige Tambien Flavius hopes to rebuild Rome's era of prosperity.

Did you read the backstory tam? Rome has only just come out of the Roman Kingdom period, there has never been a Principate or a Roman Emperor in this reality ;) try and keep it realistic.

~Formation of the Government~

The Patricians of the Roman Kingdom have overthrown the King! The people are in turmoil as the Patricians form the new government, some fear an uprising of the Koreans is imminent. Word is that King Ferdinand of Spain is furious about the assassination of Superbus and his family. With the overthrow of the old government comes the overthrow of the old society. Previously the kingdom held the policies of Tradition, Legalism, Oligarchy, Landed Elite, and Monarchy, what shall the new policies be?

Issues:
  • How is the new government going to be structured?
  • Who will be in charge of what?
  • How will city hexes be named?
  • What are we going to do about the Koreans?
  • What are we going to do about the Spanish?
  • What will our new Social Policies be? (We have 5 to choose. Current trees we can unlock: Tradition, Liberty, Honor, and Piety)
  • What are the orders for all the current units?
  • What should Rome build?
  • What should Antium build?
  • What should Seoul build?

We have met, but have no relations with: India, English Union, Republic of France, Inca, Germans, Kathmandu, and Florence.

We have good relations with Almaty, and bad relations with Spain

Rome:
Spoiler :
Rome is 100% Roman.

Builds:

Antium:
Spoiler :
Antium is 100% Roman.

Builds:

Seoul:
Spoiler :
Seoul is 20% Roman.

Builds:

Property Maps:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Economic Overview:
Spoiler :

Military Overview:
Spoiler :

Technology Tree:
Spoiler :

Speech in the Forum Romana:

-

Fellow patricians, people of Rome. The monarchy has fallen and the time has come to forge a new and just method of governance, one which ensures our Imperium can be projected decisively, and one which ensures that no one man should have so much power as to bring Rome itself to ruin should he himself become corrupted.

Brothers, I have pondered this matter deeply, and after much work I propose the following Constitution of the Romans, a framework for a new government and a new era, so that from the ashes of the Kingdom a glorious and powerful new res publica may be born as a beacon unto all the nations.

-

Constitution of Rome

-

The Roman Senate:

-

The Roman Senate is the Patrician Assembly that governs the Roman Republic. It votes and decides on matters regarding social policy, national taxes, technological research, law, the granting of triumphs, and declarations of war. It is open to public observance with the exception of closed sessions called by the Princeps.

Amongst those entitled to sit in the senate are certain officials possessed of Imperium with direct personal responsibility over various spheres distinct from the ordinary magisterium of the senate and/or with specific roles to play in the senatorial process. They are as follows.

-

Princeps Senatus: The First Man of the Senate, head and guardian of the state, the Princeps is directly responsible for foreign relations, overall command of the military and care of the treasury. The Princeps in addition to having the right of first speech in the senate and announcing the topics for discussion also possesses the veto over any proposals in same senate and is sacrosanct. The Princeps Senatus is elected by the Senate for a life term.

Consuls: Two in number, both must give assent to any laws proposed in the senate for them to take effect. Consuls also are responsible for taking field command of the army during wartime with at least one taking direct command while one remains in Rome. The Consuls are also the highest judges in Rome with authority to preside over trials. A consul can veto any of the others consuls actions. They are appointed to office by the Princeps Senatus.

-

Any other patrician in the senate is simply known as a senator, and has the right to debate on senatorial proposals and make proposals and vote in the senate on senatorial matters (as distinct from the personal imperium over various areas to the above officials). All patricians are entitled to sit in the senate, but a patrician, with the exception of a consul or the Princeps during the course of their duties, must reside in Rome in order to exercise senatorial privileges and be counted as a senator.

---

Consilium Praefectus

Prefects are responsible for the civil administration (builds, local governance, land distribution and management) of cities with each city having one Prefect. Prefects are ranked by seniority of the city with the Prefect of Rome being known as the Praefectus Urbi. The original Prefects are to be elected via popular vote, thereafter hereditary with the senate having power to transfer the hereditary rights to prefectural power to another lineage. The Prefect of newly settled/conquered cities are to be appointed by the senate. A prefect must reside in the city of the region he governs.

The Praefectus Urbi heads a council of prefects called the Consilium Praefectus that exists to ensure that each prefect’s orders are in accord with the policy of the wider empire, and not detrimental to the greater good of the empires development. The Praefectus Urbi has the rights to veto a lesser prefect’s orders if the lesser prefect remains obstinate. This veto can be vetoed by the senate.

---

The Roman Tribunate

The Tribune of the People is elected by the plebs as a personification of the plebeian masses as their voice in government. Therefore one must be a plebeian to hold this office. The tribune has the power to speak to, and propose laws for the consideration of the senate. He is sacrosanct. A tribune must remain within the pomerium (bounds) of Rome to exercise his powers

-

In this system the position of Princeps Senatus ensures decisive leadership in times of crisis, and a single voice to foreigners for our nation. While the senate and the consuls powers ensure that he does not presume to make himself a King, providing balance, and ensuring that the Senate governs by collegiality.

The Tribunate I propose would also ensure that the plebeians would have a way to participate in the administration of Rome, ensuring that their vioce is heard so that no one may presume to oppress and silence them as the Superbii did.

The Consilium Praefectus would ensure that local governors do not presume themselves local kings, and ensure a means for a coherent national policy, and for reigning in bad local leaders and unworthy prefects.

This system is just, it is fair, it ensures the right patrimony of the patricians is not cowed as of old under a tyrannical King, but freely expressed through brotherhood and collegiality. I urge my brothers to adopt this method of governance for the greater good of Rome! For once our method of government is determined, we can determine all other matters with certainty and clarity, and lay the groundwork for a new golden age for the senate and people of Rome.

-

~ Gaius Caelius

Patricians and plebeians of Rome. We must re-organize and unite to put Rome back on the oath to glory. Therefore, I agree to Gaius Caelius proposition for a new government. I agree that we must quickly organize our government to respond to the growing instability in Seoul, and to the worsening relations in Spain.

I am for Gaius Caelius proposition of our new government.

Ok, creativity time.

Marcus Noctus was a military man. He had signed up with the legion of Appius Claudius, later to be called Coreanus, as soon as he was of age. During his ten year tour he excelled and quickly became a centurion. During a brief period in civilian life he married and had a son, Valerius, but soon grew restless. He returned to Claudius' legion and again excelled, becoming the legion's Aquilifer and personal friend of Claudius.
During the final attack on Seoul Marcus was mortally wounded but he would not let the Aquila fall until Seoul was in Roman hands. Then he handed the Aquila to Claudius and allowed himself to collapse. Before passing to the Elysian Fields he asked Claudius to take care of Valerius. Claudius agreed.
For the next three years Claudius provided for Valerius, providing him food, shelter and the best tutors in Rome. But then Claudius also passed on.
Juno had never seen fit to bless Claudius with a son so on his death he adopted Valerius making him sole heir to his wealth and position.
Thus Valerius Claudius Filius Nocti, son of a humble soldier, became a patrician, a senator and a Roman of considerable influence.
Start in Rome.

Note to dot: I know this isn't the specified style of name but it uses the correct Latin form of my username and reads more like a Roman name (although I'm slightly modifying Roman adoption naming from the historically correct Noctanus to Son of the gens Noctus).

Whilst I concur with the bulk of the proposed constitution I disagree with the position of Princeps Senatus. We did not cast out the kings to raise another tyrant. I propose that said position be replaced with that of Dictator, an emergency position that permits rule by decree. When the senate declares an emergency they may opt to appoint a Dictator to guide Rome until the emergency has passed. In the event that the emergency lasts for more than two sessions the position must be confirmed every other session.

The proposed position of Princeps Senatus, and the powers invested therein under my constitution are hardly comparable to that of a tyrant or a King. Indeed the Princeps Senatus, far from being a poor substitute for a monarch would have relatively little power, and those powers the position would posess serve only to ensure the perpetuation of collegial government by the senate, or to ensure Rome has a capable individual to represent it to foreigners.

Indeed the Princeps Senatus would have precisely no power over civil administration, or have the power to implement law, or impose his wishes via decree. All technological, social and political issues would be resolved via debate in the senate, and it is from the senate that laws, and all important decisions of state would be produced!.

Truely, of the powers he would have, overall command of the military serves merely to ensure that forces are cohesive, and to ensure that field commanders do not have all their own way, possibly acting against Romes interests or become enemies of the state. The faculty of foreign relations merely acknowledges the fact that Rome needs someone to represent it as head of state to foreigners, and to negotiate with them on our behalf. Management of the treasury merely ensures that every-day expenditures are not a bickering ground for sour old politicians with their own agendas, and the veto is not at all different from the veto's of the consuls, in that it serves to protect against manipulation in the senate, and ensures that measures are just rashly entered into without consideration.

Furthermore, in a great distinction from the Monarchy, the Princeps Senatus would be elected by the senate, and upon his death a new Princeps Senatus would be elcted to replace him. It is absurd for you to suggest that the position is a veiled monarchy when it is the senate that appoints the Princeps, and from the senate that his authority comes. After a Princeps death they would simply elect a new princeps who would in no way be associated with the old one, unless the Senate unwisely perhaps, starts to get an urge for a repeat of the oppression of the Superbii, something we can all agree is most undesirable.

As such I think all right-reasoning romans should reject your erroneous opinions. Especially so considering they are so hypocritical to suggest at the very time you accuse me of proposing a new hidden King an extraordinary office of dictator who would posess the ability to rule by decree during an emergency. Would you have it that in the next war we appoint you dictator so you can use the opportunity of absolute power gifted to you, to stab us all in the back so you can become a new King!? Your proposal would open the door for a return to the very tyranny we fought so hard to banish and be an open door to any warlord or violent ingrate to wheedle his way into a new-monarchism of the very kind you hypocritically accuse me of promoting. Indeed it is so absurd as to make one think that you were a supporter of the Superbii and their absolute monarchy and wish to establish mechanisms for a monarchy's restoration, or that you are otherwise gravely ignorant of the danger your proposition would have to our new found liberty.

Whilst I concur with the bulk of the proposed constitution I disagree with the position of Princeps Senatus. We did not cast out the kings to raise another tyrant. I propose that said position be replaced with that of Dictator, an emergency position that permits rule by decree. When the senate declares an emergency they may opt to appoint a Dictator to guide Rome until the emergency has passed. In the event that the emergency lasts for more than two sessions the position must be confirmed every other session.

:agree: Although I agree with most of the Constitution proposed by Gaius Celius, I do not agree with the personal power of the Princeps Senatus. However, I see the need for a single and clear head of the Senate, to speak for Rome. That is why I propose that he simply has the power of veto retired. I also find that in times of distress it might be necessary to dispose of a Dictator who can act without the clumsy and slow Roman bureaucracy slowing and deterring him.

ooc: Oh, this Constitution! So Romanocentric! I see why you wanted as few people as possible in Rome, you don't want political opposition in the Senate, right?

ooc: I don't mind people in Rome, its just that we need someone to be in Seoul to actually govern the place.

ooc: Yeah, yeah, sure. If only Seoul had a port! :( But at least it has some better tiles than Antium... Bah, what the heck!

ic: The Calibus family is established in Seoul.

I believe, Gaius Caelius, that you are being disingenuous. You provide very sound and logical reasons for the existence of the powers you would grant unto the Princeps Senatus, but there is no reason for them all to be held by a single man. Despite your protestations to the contrary a man who holds the purse strings, controls the military, sets the agenda and wields a veto for life is a king in all but name. I suppose you were hoping that due to your lineage and proposal of this constitution that you would become our first Princeps.
In comparison the position of Dictator that I proposed is, as you pointed out, extraordinary. In addition, in a point you carefully ignored, it is time limited and requires regular reconfirmation by the senate - thus making the power derived from the senate, as is your proposed position of re.. princeps.

If it makes you less concerned I propose that the Dictator be prevented from modifying the constitution and interfering in the criminal justice system and that it is the duty of every Roman citizen to bring down a Dictator who refuses to cede power by any means necessary.

Top Bottom