Implementing a 'Like' feature for higher quality posts

If some of the disapproving members were to be believed, clicking 'Like' on a post is a direct path to the collapse of society and the Salem Witch Trials, CFC Edition.
I went through this thread again and couldn't find anyone making such claims - but it's always a good strategy to strawman the opposition's opinion into absurdity!

It's nothing more than a way to express appreciation or agreement (or both!) with someone's post. Many times, you can create a quality post and receive no replies to it because there's nothing to say in response.
Yeah... so? Is your need for validation really so big that having made that post stating your opinion does not make you happy, and only when others respond positively by taking the time and clicking a button you can be at ease?

If so, then what if you make a quality post with an unpopular opinion and still don't get any likes? Or will you just avoid saying unpopular things now? O_O

The addition of Likes allows you to know whether or not your post was well-received without needing people to muddy the waters with "Yeah, I agree, but I have nothing more to add." comments.
And what do you make of that knowledge? In the past, when nobody responded to your comment it would be: "Oh well, guess it wasn't that interesting to people." - now you may get 0 upvotes while people below you, disagreeing with you get 90 upvotes and you'll be like: "Oh, I wish I knew why people don't agree or disagree with my point. If only they took the time to formulate their opinion instead of just clicking a button!"

I don't see how that's better than before, to me it sounds like it will leave WAY more questions for everybody who's not the one making the post that agrees with the popular opinion.

Yeah... so? Is your need for validation really so big that having made that post stating your opinion does not make you happy, and only when others respond positively by taking the time and clicking a button you can be at ease?

If so, then what if you make a quality post with an unpopular opinion and still don't get any likes? Or will you just avoid saying unpopular things now? O_O

And what do you make of that knowledge? In the past, when nobody responded to your comment it would be: "Oh well, guess it wasn't that interesting to people." - now you may get 0 upvotes while people below you, disagreeing with you get 90 upvotes and you'll be like: "Oh, I wish I knew why people don't agree or disagree with my point. If only they took the time to formulate their opinion instead of just clicking a button!"

I don't see how that's better than before, to me it sounds like it will leave WAY more questions for everybody who's not the one making the post that agrees with the popular opinion.

Given your thread in OT I'm not inclined to take you very seriously on this subject anymore, but I've said on more than one occasion that the Like system is optional and is simply a nice thing to partake in if you so desire. "Needs for validation" and self-censoring don't come into play with minor attractions unless the person themselves have a problem. And in that case, the presence or absence of a Like system isn't the issue -- they are. I'd like to think that my post count after a decade on CFC would clearly indicate that I have no urgent need for validation nor that I rely on arbitrary like counts in order to contribute or be active. I do like seeing likes on my posts. I don't need to see them, but I like to.

Given your thread in OT I'm not inclined to take you very seriously on this subject anymore
What? Because I've created a self-contained thread where I give likes to whoever posts for no reason at all other than posting you don't take my position on the problems with the system when used in serious discussions not serious anymore? That's pretty silly.

but I've said on more than one occasion that the Like system is optional and is simply a nice thing to partake in if you so desire.
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure I already told you that this is a nonsensical statement. The like system is not optional, all that is optional is me giving likes. Receiving likes, and the negative effects like features usually have on the forums are not optional. Hell, the battle.net-forums are the perfect example of that (although of course they also have a dislike-button, which makes the problem MUCH worse).

And no, I am not saying those are "detrimental effects that will be the end of all life on earth", I'm saying that there are negative effects that outweigh the positive effects that... basically are none other than "Hey, I can now push a button instead of creating a post!".

"Needs for validation" and self-censoring don't come into play with minor attractions unless the person themselves have a problem. And in that case, the presence or absence of a Like system isn't the issue -- they are. I'd like to think that my post count after a decade on CFC would clearly indicate that I have no urgent need for validation nor that I rely on arbitrary like counts in order to contribute or be active. I do like seeing likes on my posts. I don't need to see them, but I like to.
Or in other words: "I don't need to take drugs but HEY, DON'T TAKE MY DRUGS AWAY!!"

I'm joking of course, but still, you're wrong. As we see on social media, need for validation and self-censoring go hand in hand, even if it's just something completely unimportant as facebook likes. Your claims directly contradict what I have seen in the past. I mean, I would even agree with this part here: "And in that case, the presence or absence of a Like system isn't the issue -- they are." - because yeah, in an ideal world (as I already wrote above) a like system would be a great tool to reward good, neutral posts, but as it stands people are people, and as people we enjoy seeing when people agree with us and are likely to, even if only subconscious, change our behavior to fit that of the (perceived) group.

Well, except me of course, I stand above it all and love saying things that make others dislike me if I think their opinions are silly. I'm basically reverse-Jesus.

Your claims directly contradict what I have seen in the past.

Visit better websites is my recommendation. I've been fortunate enough to spend my time on websites where that isn't a problem.

Or maybe on websites where you haven't noticed the negative impacts.

If you want to see what a 'like' system can do to a website, go to reddit. Any and all dissenting opinions or unpopular posters are downvoted into eternity and completely ignored. Post something incredibly witty and right-on and you'll be getting upvotes out the wazoo. Even if your comment had nothing at all to do with the original post.

Keep that nonsense away from CFC, please. At least likes here can't change the order of posts.

Yet.

I agree with all of this especially, and I am glad (as someone who has expressed annoyance at having to quote multiple people just to express approval for their well articulated position) to finally just be able to like posts! I think you may deserve some of the credit; and so I have 'liked' your early posts in this thread as a result. Along with quoting you; out of sheer joy at having a like button!!!
Whoa. I just came back from a short vacation and I'm quite happy to see there's now a Like system in these forums! Never actually thought it would be implemented, let alone only 4 months later. This is a step in the right direction, congratulations to those who had the courage to go ahead with it!

Thanks for the support, nzcamel :D

Any and all dissenting opinions or unpopular posters are downvoted into eternity and completely ignored.
For one, this forum has only a single textual 'like', not a way to downvote anything.
For two, this forum is a 'traditional' forum in lay-out and all, with posts chronologically (i.e. not based on likes) below each other and quoted messages inside these posts.
For three, this forum doesn't hide posts depending on the amount of likes.

For one, this forum has only a single textual 'like', not a way to downvote anything.
For two, this forum is a 'traditional' forum in lay-out and all, with posts chronologically (i.e. not based on likes) below each other and quoted messages inside these posts.

And four, reddit is built on the karmic up/down system. CFC isn't built on likes nor is it dependent on likes for content to be seen. :)

L
Like I said at the bottom of my post, at least likes can't change the order of posts. Yet.

I welcome the 'Like' feature, too. A simple way to say that you agree without clogging up a thread with posts that do no more than just that. The fears of people who are coming from a reddit or Facebook angle are (IMHO) completely unfounded, as this site will deal with Likes in a totally different way and they won't have the importance they have on sites like those.

It's going to take some getting used to remembering that I have the option to like a post, but overall I'm very happy that we have it now.

And what I find also quite important, are elitist issues. This place, like many other similar fandoms (yes, this is a fandom), is having issues with elitism.
We've already had some pretty contentious arguments here regarding "elitism." I really hope that's not going to get dredged up again.

Do we really want to create in-site celebrities?
It doesn't take a "like" system to create in-site celebrities.

All this (and my other posts) said, over the past couple of days I've given out a few "likes" to people who I thought made a good post. I give these "likes" in all sincerity and hope they're not offended.

I don't care much for Like features. It really doesn't earmark high-quality posts, but posts expressing popular opinions which people agree with. It's not the same thing.

I can't believe this is so contentious. I want to be able to go through a thread and indicate my support for what others have said, without having to create a new post to do so! Seems very straightforward and time saving for all of us.
The forums can only be less cluttered as a result.

I want to be able to go through a thread and indicate my support for what others have said, without having to create a new post to do so!
That's exactly the reason why I am against it. If you want to show your support for something, be part of the discussion, if you want to like what other people have written, that's what facebook is for.

That's exactly the reason why I am against it. If you want to show your support for something, be part of the discussion, if you want to like what other people have written, that's what facebook is for.

I'm happy to be part of the discussion if I have something to add that has not been said. I am not happy to repost someone else's post just to give it a thumbs up as that isn't actually being part of the conversation; especially when I could be doing that with 5, 10, 15 posts...which just makes it harder for people to follow the thread as they skip over un-needed agreement posts.

Your opposition to this change is mind numbingly daft.

Top Bottom