1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Improved Graphics for CIV

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Chuggi, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Personally I prefer defult graphics they are brighter and more vibrant whether or not they are less realistic or not
    On side note, Great work though!

2. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

I'm going to release a patch for this mod soon, it will change/fix the following:

3. Xink

Xink King

Chuggi - please do not be offended or upset with what I write...

Your mod is beautiful and very detailed however if there is a suggestion that I could make to improve it then it would have to be to increase the vibrancy and brightness. I suppose I am just agreeing with french's post above.

Looking at your first post you can really appreciate the detail in the difference that your work has made but the screenshots are rather subdued compared to the sparse and barren originals.

Keep up your great work :goodjob:

4. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

All feedback is good feedback.. I'll brighten the blend textures a little then I'll post a screenshot, for comparison.

5. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

To brighten AND to saturate a bit more would be most welcome. I cannot bring myself to switch to IG completely because it's so much desaturated. And I've got a pretty vibrant monitor to feel the difference.

6. Xink

Xink King

Excellent news there Chuggi and I agree with Elenhil, it is just as important that the saturation of the graphics can be increased as well as the brightness. Otherwise if the vibrancy is not increased they will just look a little washed out.

7. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

:) I like them less saturated - as they are now. I don't like "candys" personally. If texture would be brightened it could look better. No matter what you'll make Chuggi - it'll be ok (if it'll be saturated i'll change colors personally - so treat my post as opinion rather than suggestion)

8. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Ok, here are the results of making it slightly more colourful:

Even brighter and more colourful still:

I also have some updates for the CivFeatures mod, with some added terrain and forest variety (Arizona will look different from Egypt, for example).
    Spoiler CivFeatures :

9. grossm2

grossm2 Chieftain

Looks great - I especially like the variety in deserts and trees.

I didn't see any of the desert plateaus in the new screens - did you take them out or just not have any new pictures of them?

10. Kao'chai

Kao'chai Newbie in Modding

Hey that's the philippines

11. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

I think there's a couple of plateaus in the Middle East.

This is based on Rhye's Earth Map. ;) The new terrains and forests won't be available on random maps unless cephalo has enough free time to create a new version of PerfectWorld for CivFeatures. :)

12. Xink

Xink King

Both of those examples are excellent and a great improvement over your originals.

Colour, vibrancy and saturation all add up to great eye candy :)

It was my first impression, when I looked at the pictures on page one, that they were dark and lacklustre compared to the originals, even though they had greater detail.

13. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Cool, I'll keep the first screenshot as the default (I don't think it's a lot different from the originals tbh, which is why I made the second screenshot :p). I'll also include the textures used to make the second screenshot if anyone wants really vivid textures.

14. manaia

manaia Chieftain

nice work mate, thanks :)

15. ripple01

ripple01 Emperor

Hi Chuggi,

The buttons for the LH's that you've done look so vibrant and colorful; when I make one, it looks dull in comparison. How did you do this, if you don't mind sharing a trick... :)

Cheers,
    ripple01

16. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

@manaia - thanks. :)

@ ripple01 - to be honest I can't remember exactly, but I know I turned the contrast up and sharpened it a bit. Which leaderhead did you want a button for? I can make a template for you so you can use the method for other leaderheads. I also used asio's button maker for the borders.

17. ripple01

ripple01 Emperor

Cool, I am using asio's button maker for the borders as well. I am trying to go through my mod, CivFusion, and create buttons for the other LH's that match the one's you've done for this mod.

If you want to make a template from the recently released Xerxes, that would be awesome. What I am doing is taking an ingame screenshot of the diplomacy shot of a leader, and reducing the size of the .jpg to 20%, then clipping a 64x64 button from that. It seems to roughly match the scale of the buttons you've done. Yours just look bright and colorful and mine look dull. :)

Cheers,
    ripple01

18. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Hmm... I just downloaded your mod, and extracted everything to the CusomAssets folder.... I see the new trees and new resource graphics, but the base terrain (grassland, desert, plains) is all the same default CivIV version...

19. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Have you cleared your cache? And check if the new textures are effectively in the Terrains folder, especially if there were already other texture files in it which this mod replaces. I had it that simply dragging the stuff over in some cases didn't overwrite.

20. Poppis

Poppis Warlord

This looks great. I agree with Morgan UK that the two brighter screenshots look amazing.

Any ETA on the new patch?