1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Improved Graphics for CIV

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Chuggi, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

v2.0 is ready to download now. It's roughly 42MB to download.

>> Download <<

Spoiler Changelog :

- Fixes CTD with grid button.
    - Fixes problem with the tundrablend.dds (thanks R8XFT)
    - Fixes the alpha channel on Joao. (thanks ten_yen)
    - Improves grass and plains using seZ's textures from Fury Road.
    -Improves a lot of the detail textures, I have used some from Colonization and made some new ones for the grass and desert textures.
    - Ocean and coastal tiles are now easier to differentiate.
    - Adds a new variety of trees to the temperate areas.

- Improves some resource graphics.
    - Updates some leaderheads skin tones.
    - Some other minor updates.

- Fixes "coastal" viewport graphics in Civilopedia
    - Changes plains terrain to make it easier to differentiate them from the grassland terrain.
    - Some other minor updates.

Let me know if anything needs fixing. :) This doesn't include any special terrain features like coral, that will be an optional upgrade later on.

2. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Downloaded v2.0. Thanks for it. :)

A question, can we simply delete all folders and files of our CustomAssets folder and put your mod in it, provided no other custom changes were in CustomAssets?

3. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Yes, that would work. :)

4. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

I also want to say that the v2.0 looks great. Especially the water!

5. coreybowman

coreybowman Warlord

two questions: 1. when i extract the file directily to mydocuments\civ4\customassets, it creates another file in there called custom assets.it dont look right so i just extrated them to a default location then put the art, python, and res in their respective folders. it that right or should there be a custom assets folder in the custom assets folder? 2.does this work with blue marble installed.

6. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Yes sorry, the CustomAssets folder should be extracted over the top of your CustomAssets folder. When it asks you if you want to overwrite anything, select yes to all. It doesn't matter if BlueMarble is already installed because this mod should overwrite it, but I still recommend uninstalling BlueMarble first.

7. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

This new version is marvelous. :goodjob:

8. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Thanks Geo. :) I used seZ's terrain for the grass and plains blend files in this version, they really add a lot more variety.

9. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

I fully agree :)

10. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Yeah, I can zoom in what I want and still discover more detail.

11. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I didn't notice any extra grass or cacti/plateau in this version.

Did you decide not to put it in?

12. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

This includes all the other features, like the grass. ;) I should have a first release for this soon.

13. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

@Chuggi, I have just finished a massive graphical conversion inlaid in my current mod.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7378401#post7378401

Feel free to use anything you see and like. I haven't released it so just let me know if you want anything. As you can see I managed to make a decent light/warm forest, it's not perfect but I think it looks pretty good.

Kevin

14. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

It looks good, very much like Colonization. :D Do the trees look a little more spaced out than usual, or am I imagining this? One thing though - the peaks don't have any snow on them - is this the same for the peaks in the artic regions? I also checked out your main mod, quite a huge project you're undertaking. :D

With the coral, I have managed to get it to show up underneath the water, but the model I used for it (same as the grass model) didn't look good so I'm going to make a new model. I think I will keep the coral spaced out, with a texture underneath for the best effect.

15. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

Is the water in kevin's mod different from the water in yours, Chuggi? I had the feeling that it has more waves. At least for coastal waters these waves look quite nice.

16. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

That water is made by Anhu. You can find it here if you like. :)

17. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Oh, you should have asked the creator of Planetfall's seafungus if you had trouble putting it down sealevel... :mischief:

18. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

It didn't take me long to figure out. :p There was something in the XML I had to change.

19. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

@ Chuggi :p yes they're spaced out, all I did was remove the opaque alpha for one of the three deciduous tree leaves variants. Unfortunately I cannot remove all trunks, but most are gone. The trees might be a tad thinner, or at least it was intended.

the water is anhu but zoomed in and tinted differently. And really it looks better with a zoomed in texture

If you want to do easy "light forest" just change the tint. Then what I did was used Gimp's 'clear' function to remove one of the deciduous leaf texture variants. I'm sure you can do the same in photoshop, I just didn't know specifically how. If you manage to get rid of all remaining trunks in your mod, let me know :) But it's presentable as is, if nothing can be done about it

I'll look into the peaks, I think it depends on what terrain is under it, but I really have no idea. Something I'll definitely want to look into, I thought I saw this among your feature list

also im not sure which screenshot you saw, but ive edited it all somewhat

ps glad to know it's possible to stick stuff underwater, didn't know you could

Looking forward to trying your new version

20. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

It's possible to make the trunks transparent, but at the moment it will make all of the trunks transparent because of how the uvw map is placed. You could always move the uvw map around in Nifskope though, if you wanted to make just some trunks transparent.

asioasioasio and I have been working on some new water textures. I'm thinking that the waves should be smaller so as to fit in scale wise with the coast better.

With the peaks, I've made the overlay textures slightly more transparent in places so that the terrain underneath shows through, so it looks more natural than every moutain being identical - but you can't have different overlay textures for different terrains. I'll keep looking into it though. :)