Insert Epic Mod Name Here (INEMONH)

Is this a great scenario?

• Yes!

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No!

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
So, in this case, should I think about adding Civinator to the credits of my mod as well, as I used the same game concept as Cheezy?

I think the comment is a bit ridiculous, regardless of whether or not it was brought up out of a continuing discussion from a different thread. Complaining about not having your name mentioned in the credits for a base idea such as this is a bit nit-picky. I doubt the base idea was Civinator's alone; it's a common occurrence in many mods, mine included, and an idea that is not hard to come by if one looks hard enough.

So, basically, we've never credited ideas in the past, so why be irked that Cheezy continued the tradition? The idea is hardly copyrighted.

Bumping this thread may have been an overreaction - but at least it's an understandable one. And better posted here than as a rant in other threads.

There's a difference between not attributing an idea to a sole individual and not crediting in-depth assistance that makes it possible for an individual to achieve a goal. Civinator has offered such assistance both publicly and via pm to many - myself included. And I know I've been closed off from further advice because of his perception of lack of acknowledgement by others. I can't think of any good reason not to acknowledge substantial support and advice.

And to add to Blue Monkeys comment, it is one thing to not give credit where credit is due, it is yet worse to claim credit for work done by others.

And many of us DO give credit for ideas, I know I do, when my faulty memory allows me to recall such things...

So, in this case, should I think about adding Civinator to the credits of my mod as well, as I used the same game concept as Cheezy?

I think the comment is a bit ridiculous, regardless of whether or not it was brought up out of a continuing discussion from a different thread. Complaining about not having your name mentioned in the credits for a base idea such as this is a bit nit-picky. I doubt the base idea was Civinator's alone; it's a common occurrence in many mods, mine included, and an idea that is not hard to come by if one looks hard enough.

So, basically, we've never credited ideas in the past, so why be irked that Cheezy continued the tradition? The idea is hardly copyrighted.

It seems, you and some other here can´t read! It´s not me who asks or begs here for credit of ideas. It´s Cheezy who gave himself the credit for the concept. He gave himself the credit for everything with the exception of units. Everything means everything - and this includes the concept. So to answer your "a bit ridiculous" question, you must not ask me, but Cheezy (as he says, he deserves the credit for that game concept). Cheezy didn´t continue a tradition. To give oneself the credits for everything has an other quality than not to give credits to ideas. The last of both options is no problem for me, but the first.

As Gojira54 said, my post wasn´t out of the blue. Additionally to the link and discussion in that other thread, the update of my mod CCM will be finished this year and hopefully the worldmap, too. I don´t want to give credits to Cheezy for ideas I had and I don´t want discussions that I have copied his way of doing worldmaps. So I wrote this in my post above, I repeat it here, as it seems this is necessairy.

I´m concerned, how some posters like you here twist the facts to the opposite and I´m wondering if this is intended.

So, what's your point? What do you want? Complaining is pointless, so obviously you want something in return for the injustice that has been dealt.

I still think the comment is ridiculous. All you're doing is complaining that Cheezy gave himself "credit for everything." Big woop. If you want to be mentioned in the credits, I stand by my statement that it is not necessary to include the sources for ideas in the credits unless the idea is fundamental to the mod (and if the issue is brought up in a reasonable amount of time, not, as Quint mentioned, 4.5 years after the fact).

With all due respect, I stand by my statement. The post was ridiculous. And I can read.

So, what's your point? What do you want? Complaining is pointless, so obviously you want something in return for the injustice that has been dealt.

I still think the comment is ridiculous. All you're doing is complaining that Cheezy gave himself "credit for everything." Big woop. If you want to be mentioned in the credits, I stand by my statement that it is not necessary to include the sources for ideas in the credits unless the idea is fundamental to the mod (and if the issue is brought up in a reasonable amount of time, not, as Quint mentioned, 4.5 years after the fact).

With all due respect, I stand by my statement. The post was ridiculous. And I can read.

More time to answer you seems to be wasted...

That was a long time ago. Cheesy probably doesn't visit around here (Civ3), but maybe he does who knows. Perhaps a private message to him would have been sufficient? (since he has been on). I haven't played this mod much, so don't know how good it is, but there isn't thousands of posts, so it's popularity and visibility isn't incredibly vast.

I agree that it was obviously an idea you gave him, and he used it. The guy probably didn't think to include credits for ideas.

At best, he may have been disrespectful? Whether or not it was on purpose can't really be known.

Top Bottom