Interesting Screenshots

You can grow at size 1 with the Agricultural trait. ;)

That could be the reason. Settle-on-wheat-farm-a-cow cities would be pretty ridiculous in that case. Even without Agricultural.

From what I've seen in games over the years, it doesn't appear the AI is programmed to look at bonus resources when picking a site to settle on. They do look at strategic resources, and possibly luxuries, but otherwise pick a spot that wont overlap the "x" of their nearest cities, if the terrain allows. If they settle on a bonus resource, it appears to be by chance because the site met their criteria for those other reasons. They miss being able to use many bonus resources due to the way they settle. The AI also never seems to move their first settlers at the start of the game, no matter how poorly placed they are.

They also are unable to differentiate between volcanoes and mountains and will settle next to volcanoes. When the volcano erupts and destroys the city, they try to settle the exact same spot again. I've seen the AI settle their first city next to a volcano, and also their second city next to another volcano a few tiles away. By coincidence, the spot was just right so the 2 city "x" didn't overlap.

The AI program appears to be: settle where you are, put next cities at spots the "x" wont overlap with previous cities, seek out strategic resources you cant see yet, seek out little spots of empty land in the player's territory and ignore everything else.

Conclusive proof that the map generator is a sadistic bastard:

Yeah, and that Iron source was the only one I could easily get to.

For further proof, I could go out to the rest of my empire, which includes massive amounts of desert, plains, and hills, and some jungles and marshes in the north. In the south, I have a city I took from France so hilly that it can't grow above size 4 unless I capture more French land and take some tiles it currently can't use, and even then, it still can't grow very high. Other parts of the map are similar, from what I can tell. The amount of food on this planet is ridiculously low.

Conclusive proof that the map generator is a sadistic bastard:

Yeah, and that Iron source was the only one I could easily get to.

For further proof, I could go out to the rest of my empire, which includes massive amounts of desert, plains, and hills, and some jungles and marshes in the north. In the south, I have a city I took from France so hilly that it can't grow above size 4 unless I capture more French land and take some tiles it currently can't use, and even then, it still can't grow very high. Other parts of the map are similar, from what I can tell. The amount of food on this planet is ridiculously low.

what settings did you use?

I'm not completely sure, but I think Normal Temperature and Humidity, 4 Billion Years Old, 70% Water, Pangaea.

So, I decided screw that map, and started a new game. My land there is less downright horrible, but I still have a couple of poor tundra cities that are capped at size 2.

Anyway, what I came to post about:

What do you mean I only have one source of Silks? I have 2, I'm just sending one of them to the Russians. I also don't have my own source of Ivory, yet she says "We only have one source of Ivory, we should find more to trade to our friends" :crazyeye:

Beware the Japanzantines! They both, because of glitchiness, have the same color, and are next to each other on the power graph. Luckily for my sanity they didn't start next to each other and make it impossible to tell the difference...

As a bonus, I have a story of something that happened that I couldn't get a picture of: The Carthaginians dropped a Numidian by one of my cities with a Galley and then declared war on me the next turn. The Numidian didn't attack the city, but the Galley did. My Spearmen killed it. The hell?

Beware the Japanzantines! They both, because of glitchiness, have the same color, and are next to each other on the power graph. Luckily for my sanity they didn't start next to each other and make it impossible to tell the difference...

That is going to be awesome if they both grow rather large, and then someone murders one of them overnight.

As a bonus, I have a story of something that happened that I couldn't get a picture of: The Carthaginians dropped a Numidian by one of my cities with a Galley and then declared war on me the next turn. The Numidian didn't attack the city, but the Galley did. My Spearmen killed it. The hell?

Did he promote? ... Anyway, do you have any mods installed? I wouldn't think they'd affect the base game, but I've heard that they do funny things to units sometimes (and I know I've seen a transport carrying an Amphibious and a non-Amphibious unit have both of them attack from the sea in a mod), so that might be it.

That is going to be awesome if they both grow rather large, and then someone murders one of them overnight.

Well, Japan's pretty much in the center of the continent, so they could easily either grow large or get murdered over night. I'm not sure about the Byzantines, who are dwelling on the Northern Edge.

Did he promote? ... Anyway, do you have any mods installed? I wouldn't think they'd affect the base game, but I've heard that they do funny things to units sometimes (and I know I've seen a transport carrying an Amphibious and a non-Amphibious unit have both of them attack from the sea in a mod), so that might be it.

I believe he promoted, but I don't remember. I'm fairly certain I don't have any mods installed, and I know this is just the base game.

If it helps, this is C3C version 1.00 with no patches, because despite 5 years of trying, I still can't get them to work.

Did you have a privateer or any kind of ship parked in that city? Ai loves attacking these things?

It was still the AA, so I certainly didn't have a Privateer in the city. I don't think I had any other ship in the city, either.

yeah in my mod the AI does that crap all the time. It really gets annoying when a civ you have a trade deal with strolls over with a galley and attacks your city with it

What do you mean I only have one source of Silks? I have 2, I'm just sending one of them to the Russians. I also don't have my own source of Ivory, yet she says "We only have one source of Ivory, we should find more to trade to our friends" :crazyeye:
This one is obvious, your advisor is talking about the number of recourses you are handing out to your peoples.

switch on color blind help :goodjob: (that's a good thing even in 'normal' games)

You can't own Ocean tiles in your cultural borders unless they're only two tiles away from land (which is only possible if the map has been edited)

This one is from my story. I beat the Toltecs in war, and left them with 5 cities- and all 5 have "New" in their name.

Top Bottom