Interesting Screenshots

That is a quite impressive way to destroy the Ottoman navy by the Chinese! If it weren't for the Ottomans being so silly about putting nearly their entire navy in an unsecure port, I'd say the AI behavior was almost intelligent. At least half of it was.

well , if AI was smart enough to bring whole armies to land , we humans would be like hard pressed to win , right ?

Heh. We are happy with anarchy. If one chooses "yes, let the revolt begin", does the anarchy turn counter get reset?

Another thing; too bad I forgot to save the screenshot, I had a medieval infantry standing outside of Persepolis. Me and Persia had signed peace, and Persepolis was on another continent and I had no way to retrieve the unit. After several tens of turns the Persians finally contacted me and I got to automove it. It ended up on another continent on the opposite side of the planet! I had one city pretty close, even though it was on another continent than Persepolis. Aren't the automoved units supposed to go to the nearest unoccupied or friendly territory?

Heh. We are happy with anarchy. If one chooses "yes, let the revolt begin", does the anarchy turn counter get reset?

In Conquests, it doesn't change anything. In PTW it does re-roll for anarchy, so you can try again if you get a very long revolt.

While I am busy fighting the Mongols, I became under attack by the second largest rival remaining on the map.

Egypt throw its low price german luxuries overboard and launched a sneak attack on me (in fact, since I had build the UN, they had even Furs for free - but the vote was unconclusive).

At that point of time I was unable to diverge any significant forces toward Egypt as Temujin was in full control of the large northern continent (formerly Iroquios Nations, Aztec Empire, Persia and Norse Kingdoms) with a large and more or less modern navy, army and airforce.

So I kept Ramses totally antiquated forces with Submarines and Artillery of my shore.

So far my three Submarines have sunk 11 transport galleys and 4 war galleys. And still Ramses insists that I have to pay for a peace treaty.:wallbash:

Why does the KI allways think, just because there are no troops in my inland cities, that these cities are defenceless and easy to conquer?

And for anyone wondering about the KV-1 in Frankfurt: No, Germany has Panthers and Tigers as its tanks of choice, but Frankfurt has build the great wonder "Krasny Oktyabr Tractor Factory". ;)

love this. reminds me of a game of CivI I played where my trireme finally made it to another coast to unload my phalanx and settler and an Egyptian tank took me out
:ar15::rotfl:

I have never before seen a city occupy a single square. I surrounded it with the intention of flipping it (since I've not yet been ready to go to war with Japan - saving it for last), and I got every square except the city itself. It's utterly bizarre-looking.

(Warlord, Tiny Pangaea, 80% Normal 4BY Warm, no barbs, normal aggression.)

Attachments

• Kagoshima.jpg
    Kagoshima.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 208
In such a situation the chances of flipping are quite high because all 20 tiles of the fatcross are under foreign control. But chances are probably still a bit too low to count on it. What really catches the eye however is that most of your towns have not grown into cities. Aqueducts are among the buildings with the highest return on investment while banks are rather the opposite and should wait till after the build up of a strong offensive force of (in this case) cavalry.

I have never before seen a city occupy a single square. I surrounded it with the intention of flipping it (since I've not yet been ready to go to war with Japan - saving it for last), and I got every square except the city itself. It's utterly bizarre-looking.

(Warlord, Tiny Pangaea, 80% Normal 4BY Warm, no barbs, normal aggression.)

that is why we love this game

In such a situation the chances of flipping are quite high because all 20 tiles of the fatcross are under foreign control.
It did eventually flip, as expected. I'd just never seen anything like that before.
What really catches the eye however is that most of your towns have not grown into cities. Aqueducts are among the buildings with the highest return on investment while banks are rather the opposite and should wait till after the build up of a strong offensive force of (in this case) cavalry.
I hadn't really thought of banks that way, but I hadn't focused on Aqueducts (though in retrospect probably should have) simply because for so long I could not generate enough food. There is only one river (barely visible at the bottom of the screenshot) and it took a long time for me to get control of it so I could start irrigating. By the time I got Electricity, I had already started focusing on building Cavs, Cavs, Cavs (which I'm doing now) and forgot to build more Workers so I could start irrigating wherever I wanted. I'm working on expanding toward taking out Rome (Neapolis was a surprise flip) before heading for Japan (assuming I don't get a Domination victory by then, which is quite possible). Of course, at this point, since Kagoshima has flipped, I probably won't have much concerns for the inner towns while I just focus on Conquest, but I'll take another look at it.

Even with a lack of fresh water just the step from size 6 to size 7 is a big improvement. There hardly are cases where aqueducts are not worth the effort.

Even with a lack of fresh water just the step from size 6 to size 7 is a big improvement. There hardly are cases where aqueducts are not worth the effort.

for myself - I was always one to build all that I could wherever I could but I have since been taught discretion - here at CFC - I don't build an aqueduct in a city that does not have 2 extra food at size 6. I may add it if the situation changes after railroads. I apply the same rule to marketplaces.

After blackmailing me to get free salpeter did not work out, Babylon simply invaded me (what a surprise... not ;) ).

That did not work out either for them as they were repelled, caused my Golden Age and have got my counter-invasion at Birka.

But then it did not went too well for my forces during the fightings over Birka.

I have lost several Texas Rangers (Flavor Cuirassier, but with blitz ability), my defence army (the Mounted Camel Guards) was redlined in its very first battle with a Knight and my reinforcements were still far away.

Then the luck changed into my favor: i have got three (3) battle leaders in a single turn.

And with that, the war was decided in my favor. Babylon no longer had a chance to win.

Then it was over nearly all but two of my Texas Rangers were in armies. I think that I need to produce some more before the Pentagon gets operational. ;)

Next stop is Trondheim: the Vikings raided me during the final stages of the Great Iroquois-Babyloninan War. :trouble:

Not pictured, but the greatest prize in this war was the city of Babylon itself with the Pyramids, Sistine Chapel, Copernicus O., Mausoleum, Leonardos Ws. and Sun Tzus Art.

Last edited:
love this. reminds me of a game of CivI I played where my trireme finally made it to another coast to unload my phalanx and settler and an Egyptian tank took me out
:ar15::rotfl:
I had the same expierence in Civ3, then I was proud that I owned a third of the world population without even meeting an adversary. Until my scouting Frigate did run into a mongolian Battleship...

They had allready defeated everyone else. IIRC Carthago was with three island cities the largest survivor.

Same game as before, but I am in the final stage of Iroquois World Domination.

But Theodora seems to play a different game (one there Varna is not her fifth capital in a single turn and her last city).

And no, I did not started a single war in this game.

I just founded a city in the unused jungle in the south of the Island of Byzanz, that was promptly raided by Theodora (and thereby cancelling my delivery of rubber and salpeter to her).

But I must admit, that she is stuborn.

Not that it will help her. She has three Musketmen left, while I have seven still unused armies next to Constantinopolis.:trouble:

This is the first game, there I had so many battle created armies, that I temporary run out of free offensive units. :eek:

Last edited:
Aren't the automoved units supposed to go to the nearest unoccupied or friendly territory?
In this case, by any chance was the 'nearest' friendly territory actually on the other side of the 'International Date Line' (i.e. the east-west map seam) from the offending unit?

(Since you have a CivDOS-Cavalry icon as your avatar!) You may remember that way back then, the horizontal wrapping across the map seam always worked fine when units were moved one tile at a time, but sometimes (always?) caused wonkiness when the 'GoTo' command was applied: a unit on the far left/west of the map, when told to GoTo a tile/city just west of the seam, would shoot off eastwards instead (or vice versa).
Spoiler Embarrassing admission :
It didn't happen so much on the Earth-map, but on random maps, where it was easy(er) to forget exactly where the seam was (without looking at the minimap), I forgot about that behaviour on more than occasion. For land and sea units it was an annoyance, but the resultant 'Out-of-CheeseFuel-Errors' would usually crash a Bomber — and I did that more than once, as well :blush:
So I'm just wondering if something similar happened here, too?

ı hate Civ III for the sciences . Apparently after the first era you can't learn from the barbarians . In contrast to Civ I , where once ı learned recycling on some deserted island at the end of the game .

Untitled.jpg
Not my proudest but an interesting one I think. Clearly going to war with Greece here, managed to hold off enough for their spearmen to become obsolete

Now that was unexpected. I did not know that the Maya were that rich (Must have made some tech trades with the less educated players). :eek:

Smoke Jaguar made an alliance with Xerxes against me. While it puts the Bundesland Mayaland into some dissarray, it was otherwise a very bad timing since my main battlefleet (plus main army) was just passing Cuello on their way to Persia.

And yes, Cuello was the last maya city.

Isabella move artillery units into position to bomb Bodo.

This however works only because these artillery units are all of foreign origin (Peasant Milita, Pioneers, Combat Engineers and Royal Horseguards can salvage different artillery pieces from their enemy). ;)

Oh, and the english Elephant Cavalry is certanly scarred by the Maus in Stockholm. :D

What difficulty level is this? Such huge sums of cash in the hands of an AI are indeed quite unexpected, unless it's Deity/Sid... (Or unless it came from the human player...)

Top Bottom