Intrateam Succession Game

Welcome to the CFC Intrateam Succession Game!

We are playing as Mansa Musa of India. The settings in this game are designed to mirror the ISDG game: Emperor difficulty, Torroidal world wrap, single land mass, etc.

Starting screenshot:

Roster:

YossarianLives
Maga_R
Caledorn
Bowsling
classical_hero
tobiasn
Arkipeller

And the save:

Attachments

• ISDG Team SG BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    64.3 KB · Views: 209
So here is what I was thinking about the rules / settings for the game. These are up for discussion.

I'll play 20 turns first, then Maga_R plays 15, and we play 10 turns per set after that.

24 hours to post a "Got it" when it is your turn, and an additional 48 hours to play your set. We can be mostly lenient with this. If you have been participating in discussion between sets, you'll get more time. If you haven't posted since your last set and we don't hear anything from you 24 hours into your turn, we'll move to the next player. Try to take screenshots and post a detailed description of what happened during your turn set.

No reloading at all. Whatever happens during your turn, is what happens.

One of the main goals of this game is to see what we can learn that we can apply to the ISDG. Let's see how we can spotlight our traits, UU and UB. Let's see what we can observe from our opponents' traits, UU and UB.

The primary goal is to have fun, of course!

Anything else we should discuss? Any questions about how a SG works, or how this SG in particular will work?

Ok, a little commentary about the actual game.

First thing I noticed is that we have no resources visible at all! Why can't we see those hills 2S of our settler, does oasis block vision? I'm thinking moving the Warrior 7 (NE) and going from there might be best. What's the rule for resources / food / forests in the capital's BFC?

Does anyone have any ideas for long-term objectives in this game? Emperor is going to be a challenge, I think, so we shouldn't try anything too crazy. Playing the hand we're dealt will be important. I'm looking forward to hearing what the rest of you have to say.

Ok, a little commentary about the actual game.

First thing I noticed is that we have no resources visible at all! Why can't we see those hills 2S of our settler, does oasis block vision? I'm thinking moving the Warrior 7 (NE) and going from there might be best. What's the rule for resources / food / forests in the capital's BFC?

Does anyone have any ideas for long-term objectives in this game? Emperor is going to be a challenge, I think, so we shouldn't try anything too crazy. Playing the hand we're dealt will be important. I'm looking forward to hearing what the rest of you have to say.

Hello,

can I play during weekend? I am very busy recently, have not even completed our old GOTM :(

Wow. Dat start... Oasis is ok in the start, but a perpetual 3/0/3 tile.. oh well. Agree with scouting NW, that plains hill tile might be worth settling on for the extra :hammers:

Without moving anything, here is my first notes:
There is a body of water 2E2N from or warrior. It is unknown if it is ocean or fresh.
There is at least a 2hex-mountain-range south of our oasis, both of the hexes seems to be on plains.
There is a body of water 2W2N from our warrior. It is unknown if it is ocean or fresh.

---
In current position, if city is built we get:

1 desert tile, with oasis
12 plains tile: 3 with hills, 5 with forests
7 grassland: 4 with forests

here there is not included: hidden resources or resources in the not revealed tiles

Hello,

can I play during weekend? I am very busy recently, have not even completed our old GOTM :(

Yeah, that shouldn't be any problem. I won't get to the first set until tomorrow at the earliest (actually will be really busy so I hope people aren't too upset if I have to delay my first set until Friday). That means that your window falls on this weekend.

Wow. Dat start... Oasis is ok in the start, but a perpetual 3/0/3 tile.. oh well. Agree with scouting NW, that plains hill tile might be worth settling on for the extra :hammers:

Yeah, this looks like a pretty tough start. The plains hill looks tempting for the extra :hammers:, but then we lose a bunch of forests for medium-term :hammers:, and it also takes us off the fresh water of the Oasis. Depending on what the warrior sees, I am almost tempted to send the Settler to check out those southern hills, but that could delay settling our capital by two turns. tbh, my strategy is usually to SIP, trusting the game to provide a sufficiently strong start. Isn't there a rule for how many resources / trees / food the game needs to provide for the starting tile's BFC? I am really conflicted here.

Without moving anything, here is my first notes:
There is a body of water 2E2N from or warrior. It is unknown if it is ocean or fresh.
There is at least a 2hex-mountain-range south of our oasis, both of the hexes seems to be on plains.
There is a body of water 2W2N from our warrior. It is unknown if it is ocean or fresh.

---
In current position, if city is built we get:

1 desert tile, with oasis
12 plains tile: 3 with hills, 5 with forests
7 grassland: 4 with forests

here there is not included: hidden resources or resources in the not revealed tiles

Ouch, that analysis does not make me excited about our starting location. Where's our food?

I'll move the warrior 7 tonight and check whether those bodies of water in the fog are fresh or salt. I'll post the results here so we can discuss a little more before I actually play my turn.

Yuck!

What if we move the settler 2S, onto the plains hill? That way, we get the best of both worlds: extra hammers for the PH, and fresh water. Plus, we've got a decent shot at uncovering more food.

Moved the warrior.

Spoiler :

Double yuck. I think we're going to have to move the Settler south. Unfortunately we lose a movement point as we cross the Oasis, so it's going to take us a couple turns. The only other option seems to be SIP and hope the food is in the fog.

There has to be some food in the 7 fogged bfc tiles... right? I say we just sip.

Yeah we should just take what we got and when we need food we can irrigate the region. I am thinking that eventually we will find the perfect capital spot and eventually shift to that one and leave this spot for a lesser city.

Alright, so this is my plan of action for my turn (I think I saw them call it the P-P-P in SGOTM for Pre-Play Plan):

• SIP
  • Move Warrior counter-clockwise around capital to explore while keeping him nearby
  • Tech Agri, AH or Hunting depending on the food we reveal when we SIP
  • If no food is revealed, then tech BW
  • Worker-first, then probably grow to size 2 building a warrior
  • Probably switch to a settler or worker at size 2, depending on what is in the BFC
  • I'll be working the oasis tile the whole time probably for a great commerce boost
And that will probably finish up my turn set. I'll play later tonight (in 5-8 hours), so there is still time for suggestions if anyone has different ideas.

I think SIP makes sense.. Moving settler south to the hills will have us settle on turn 3 at the earliest. Not worth the gamble..

Rest of plan looks spot on :)

Moved the warrior.

Spoiler :

Double yuck. I think we're going to have to move the Settler south. Unfortunately we lose a movement point as we cross the Oasis, so it's going to take us a couple turns. The only other option seems to be SIP and hope the food is in the fog.

I am really sorry I missed on that left body of water, I was certain I did see the color blue... must be blind or something.
This also may affect that I can have missed on the second body of water.

I played the first set last night but ran out of time to post about it. Here is the save, and I will post a summary with pictures later.

I don't think I got us off to a very good start. Sorry guys.

Attachments

• ISDG Team SG BC-3200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    100.6 KB · Views: 203
So here is my turn report:

T0 - SIP as we had discussed as a team. I didn't grab a picture, but this revealed Sheep on the grass tile 44 (west-west) of the capital, and a forested plains banana 63 (east-southeast) of the capital. There are a BUNCH of floodplains just beyond those southern hills. Not the best capital site by any means, but we'll have to make due.

As for tech, I was really conflicted. I was considering either Agri=>AH for the Sheep, or BW for those forests. In the end, I decided to go for BW first to give that first worker something to do. Thinking about it now, going for the food techs first probably would have given us a faster start, but we're locked in now.

Spoiler :

T1-T4 - Slow turns, just exploring with the warrior.

T5 - Borders pop, reveal a little more land.
Spoiler :

I switched off the Oasis and onto the 2:food:2:hammers: banana tile, delaying BW by a bit, but speeding up our Worker.

T8 - Discover our first rival, Boa of Zulu. Looks like we're neighbors with them in this game, too!

Spoiler :

T10 Judiasm is founded in a distant land

Spoiler :

T13 - Christianity is founded in a distant land.

Spoiler :

I've never played with the setting where you get to choose your own religion. One thing I didn't realize is that this makes it a little harder to be able to tell which religious techs have been researched, and which ones are still up for grabs.

T14 - Discover the Zulu capital.

Spoiler :

Our Worker also completed on this turn. Since BW isn't finished yet, I move it down to a riverside hill to start Mining. I switch back to the Oasis tile and start growing while building a warrior.

T16 - BW finishes, reveals Copper 88 (north-north) of the capital. Now my plan was to start pre-chopping our settler, but with a copper tile to improve, that's probably the better option. I pause the mine and start moving up to the Copper, spending a turn on a chop on my way up. Set research onto Agri on the way to AH. I guess the one good thing about delaying Agri is that now we get the bonus for the Zulu knowing it already.

T17 - First animal appears, a lion southeast of our capital.

Spoiler :

T20 - And that's my turnset. I got us off to a slower start than I would have liked. To be honest, if I was playing SP, I probably would have re-loaded and tried a different approach. Oh well. Here are the final pictures

Spoiler :

Our capital grows to size 2 next turn. I'm not sure if it would be better to switch to a settler at size 2, or get up to size three working the sheep, and then build the settler working the improved Copper, Oasis, and 4-yield banana. We'll also be able to put some chops into the Settler to speed it up.

Here's the Roster:

Maga_R <<< Up Now!
Caledorn <<< On Deck
Bowsling
classical_hero
tobiasn
Arkipeller

YossarianLives <<< Just played

And the save is in my previous post. Good luck Maga!

It may be on my side, but I can't see any of the screenshots below the one of Boa, Yossarian. Well written turn report, btw!

The broken images should be fixed now. Let me know if you're still having problems viewing them.

Maga, I cancelled the Worker's move, so it's up to you what to do with him next. He has 2 turns left on the Copper mine and my suggestion would be completing that, then chopping out the Settler while we wait forever to get AH for a semi-decent food bonus. We'll never have enough food, hammers or commerce in this city to make it a worthwhile capital, so we definitely want to relocate at some point.

Hello, long day at work, I barely manage to play my turn in our Pitboss before the turn rolled :-(

Just downloading the save, will try to post my plan Saturday.

Top Bottom