Intrateam Succession Game

Not much feedback here, so I guess I'll go with my gut feeling (and possibly make things even more difficult for us :p). I'll give it until tomorrow, then I'll play the 15 turns and share the save for the next person in line :)

Cal and I chatted about his turnset a bit.

me: You’ve got a rough turnset coming up. Lots of decisions
Caledorn: Yeah, and allowing me the honour of playing these crucial turns may be our biggest problem for the rest of the game… Lol :) But I’ll do my very best! I’ll settle that city 2w of the sheep, and I’m thinking another city somewhere sw of our capital, so we get the benefit of the FPs
me: I’m thinking grow to size 4, 2-pop whip a worker, grow to size 3, chop another settler
Caledorn: My biggest concern though is the worker moves, as that really is a challenging thing to me. I never pay attention to chops etc, like Maga has done.
me: Yeah, unless there is something amazing to our east, south west seems like the way to go
We don’t want to give Zulu all of that land
I’ll take a look at possible worker micro tonight
Caledorn: No, definitely not. I’m glad we discovered FP’s early.
me: Yeah
Caledorn: If I am to chop the settler, should I prep-chop more forests with the worker we have? I think AH is nearly done if I remember correctly, and I’m thinking we want the sheep pastured ASAP right?
me: Right, I think it finishes in 2 turns. Prechopping until then sounds good.
Then maybe farm a FP for the new city to grow on. And start cottages
Then we can use worker 2 to finish the chops into the settler
Once we get roads there will be a lot to do
We might need a third worker out of the new city
But it will be so slow. And we want to grow onto fp’s. I’m not sure what’s best there
Caledorn: Sounds like a good offset for a plan
I’m not sure if I’ll have settler 2 settled within my allotted 15 turns, considering we should let the capital grow to size 4 first (I assume I should build a warrior while growing as we need the defence)
me: Yeah, warrior. It’s a 3 turn build working the copper, so depending how long it takes to grow, you might finish a couple
It’ll be good to get the sheep online
And I agree the settler probably won’t complete on your turn
Caledorn: Do you remember the output of a green sheep pasture? 4/2/x?
me: Should be 4/2/3 since we’re fin, I think
Not a lot of food in the capital
Caledorn: No it’s not a great capital site
me: +5 food at size 3, and it doesn’t get any better
The second city will have lots of commerce, but no hammers
I think our new cap might go in the south. Lots of juicy land down there
Caledorn: I’m not entirely sure the map script balances capital spots for all players evenly either, so we can assume that some of the AIs have better starting spots than us. Which also doesn’t help our outcomes @ emperor :p
me: I think we’ll do ok. I struggle at emperor usually, but if we are stopping every ten turns to strategize, we’ll do really well
Caledorn: I agree. That land down there is really nice.
As everyone can download the save each time someone is up, you and I can post screens using TFW for the team perhaps?
me: And even the north has some pretty good land. We’ll be able to expand very nicely
I saw you saved the screens there. It’s a good idea
Caledorn: I’m not sure if there is anyone else in the SG who has access to TFW..
me: No? They should!
We should encourage them to get it.
We can put our pictures there, and it will let them see more unpublished pictures of the main game, too
I think warrior 1 can continue exploring. No need to send him back since we already have a warrior protecting our second city, and the cap can do 3 turn warriors
The next one should head east
Caledorn: I had the same thought. I’d like to get the fog around the capital away, so I’ll make sure we don’t have any black spots of fog hanging around directly south of the capital, then head him se
And the next one can go e yes, possibly turning ne or se, depending on the lands we encounter, as we want him in defensive lands
me: Yep. The one after that will need to stick around to protect the third city, but can uncover any dog to the south that warrior 1 misses
Fog, not dog!
Caledorn: Lol
me: That is, if we can complete it before starting on the settler
Caledorn: True
And that I have no idea about, as I am not very good at analysing things like that in advance (yet)
me: How much food to fill the box from size 3 to 4?
Caledorn: Let me check
6/26
me: Maga might have the right idea about letting the overflow go into a worker or settler before switching off to grow
Caledorn: I have no clue about what forests she has prechopped
me: So that's 5 turns to grow at a +4 food surplus
Caledorn: We have an overflow of 4 hammers at the moment too
me: We should go ahead and put it into the warrior to get that last one out before starting the worker
Caledorn: How many turns will we have to build the worker before we can whip it do you think? If
me: Just 1 to 2-pop whip
Caledorn: But a fast worker cannot be whipped for 1 pop outright. I checked, and it requires 2 pop
Unless I'm doing something wrong that is...
me: Right. Grow to size 4, put one turn into the fw, then 2-pop whip
Caledorn: That sounds more correct based on what I saw yes

tl;dr I’m thinking grow to size 4, 2-pop whip a worker, grow to size 3, chop another settler

I just want to note that the gold we've found is on a pretty good tile. It is on plains by river. this means a nasty commerce and production at the same time. + it gives happyness

Plan sounds good :)

Good idea to just use tfw. I could make a separate folder for it maybe, like i did with demographics?

Maybe this is a weird thought... but I see we got a sheep north of us. This means that sooner or later we will gain that resource. How about cottaging the sheep? (I know this would make the Animal Husbandry kind of useless for now, unless we find horses)
Personally I would settle as many cities between the two rivers as possible and cottage them up fast (Mesopotamia-style)
How about settle either:
*the mountain 1 south, 2 east of the newly discovered spices. I would of course move that warrior SE to see if this is a reasonable tactic.
* two W for the sheep. This is a good strategy if the sheep is NOT cottaged.

BTW: I am very interrested in how large these rivers are. Could one of the warriors/ our future units discover this?

Sorry this took me so long, but here we go!

A quick summary of what I've done (together with Yossarian, as we were talking about the game while I played our turns :) - any mistakes are fully mine though ;)):

* I have built our second city, Terasvin, which should be changed to build a Fast Worker now.
* I did a bad when trying to prechop the forest N of Indira. It turns out it only had 1 turn left, and the forest disappeared. The result was that we built a second Fast Worker with the chop and a whip. I then let Indira grow to size 4 and set it to build a Settler which just completed.
* I have scouted more of our southern lands, and I found a good spot for our third city (noted on the map with a marker as City 3). This could be a potential site for a new capital in the future, if we don't find an even better spot.
* We encountered both Elizabeth of Ottoman (who we're currently running espy on) and Mehmed of HRE (whom's scout was eaten by a lion the same turn we encountered him - was pretty funny as the screen centered on his scout moving into a tile and then a barb lion raced in from another direction and ate it :D)
* I have roaded up our cities together, farmed one of the FP's near Terasvin, and prechopped some forests (I have used notes on the forests that are prechopped). One of our workers is building a road towards the copper (as I was really uncertain what else to do with him except that or prechop, and decided that getting axemen out quickly is a good idea on Emperor since the area is swarming with barbs already). One of our workers is working on a prechop near Indira currently - take care to not allow it to actually chop the forest like I did with the one North of Indira..
* We have completed The Wheel (obviously since I'm roading), and there's 3 turns left on Pottery.

Screenshots
Spoiler :

Savegame
View attachment ISDG Team SG BC-2040.CivBeyondSwordSave

You're up, Bowsling! :)

Some thoughts:

-That's going to be a killer 3rd city, a perfect combination of forests, hills, food, and commerce bonus from rivers to make an extremely well-rounded city. I agree this is a great candidate for our relocated capital.

-We need to put all that overflow in Indira into a FW. We'll lose hammers if we 1-turn that warrior. After we put 1 turn into the FW, we can switch back to a Warrior to grow. Maybe a Granary would be better once Pottery comes in, though?

-We need to put down more improvements around Terasvin, and City 3 is already on the way which will need it's own improvements. We also need to road down to City 3. So much for the workers to do! They should probably stop what they're doing and start moving to improve/connect our newer cities.

-What does the team think about our tech path after Pottery? Masonry and TGW for an espionage focus? Would we be able to get city 4 down 1N of the stone in time for that to play into things?

-I think we should sent the warriors to our northeast and southeast exploring out as far as possible. We can get garrison warriors out quickly from Indira so we're safe enough from the barbs.

I took the liberty to load the save so I could watch how we are doing (I don't like screenshots) and simulated five turns forward for fun. I did not explore during this, in case I met something we should not know about.

Interresting turn of events possible during next 5 turns:

T51: Earliest turn we can get our third city.
T54: I built Stonehenge in Indira by chopping the forests instead of building that warrior that we are currently building.

----
Personally I would prefer if we got archery soon: I suggest Hunting-Archery as next in line

Okay, I've had a look around a bit.

- I'm curious as to how you got a third city founded in only two turns? :eek: We don't have a settler.

- Although Stonehenge would be nice, I'd rather found the stone city and build TGW, especially considering the amount of room to spare on this map.

- For tech, I think the best route is to go Writing>Masonry (in time for our fourth city and a plethora of chops for TGW in Indira)>Mathematics. I'll go into more detail over MM in the future.

- With pottery coming in and Terasvin working two unimproved tiles already, I'm thinking a FW would good for Indira's next build. After this finishes, we can build axemen until stone and Masonry come in.

Also, it seems like the tags inside our territory were lost?

Okay, I've had a look around a bit.

- I'm curious as to how you got a third city founded in only two turns? :eek: We don't have a settler.
We do! Check the capitol Indira. I sent it to the spot marked with City3, but I find the tile west for it better in case you want a city with floodplains and stone

- Although Stonehenge would be nice, I'd rather found the stone city and build TGW, especially considering the amount of room to spare on this map.
I rather have a solid army patrolling and gaining barb-xp and having the cultural advantage of Stonehenge (free obelisks!), than TGW, which is ofc is easily made afterwards. That is ofc my own preferred tactic.

But ofc: I tend sometimes to play as I call it "Religious", so I like the thought that our capitol starts on making a Great Prophet (if Stonehenge is done, it will pop at turn 104 or earlier), which later can be used to make whatever Religious Moneymaker we will get.
- For tech, I think the best route is to go Writing>Masonry (in time for our fourth city and a plethora of chops for TGW in Indira)>Mathematics. I'll go into more detail over MM in the future.

- With pottery coming in and Terasvin working two unimproved tiles already, I'm thinking a FW would good for Indira's next build. After this finishes, we can build axemen until stone and Masonry come in.

Also, it seems like the tags inside our territory were lost?

Do you have the same save as I do? Caledorns turn 49 save?

Oops, that's embarrassing that I missed the settler. :eek2:

Yeah, I have the turn 49 save. For some reason, the tags are MIA.

:) Cale has marked the tile 3 east for the stone with "city3", but I guess you could move both warrior and the settler to the forest tile 2 east of stone and settle there. That way we get stone faster and you will manage that T51.

Any other that got some ideas?

@Arkipeller: Stonehenge is not a bad idea, but I really think that it this moment we need Workers more urgently. If we do decide to go for SH, it would be for the border pops more than the GP points. Religions are fairly difficult to found on Emperor. If we are able to get one, it would probably be a later religion and could lead to problems with our neighbors if they have already adopted something different. It's probably better to wait for someone to spread a religion to us. Archery is definitely not needed with the Copper about to get hooked up. Also, I want to delay Hunting as much as possible so we can continue building cheap garrison warriors. I think the City 3 location that Caledorn marked is too good to pass up, even if it misses out on the Stone. I am thinking City 4 can go north of the Stone to stay irrigated for the health bonus, bring in the Spices, and share floodplains with Terasvin for food. If we get enough workers over there, we can even hook up Stone and chop out TGW pretty quickly with all those forests. I'm thinking TGW mainly if we do want to focus on Espy in this game, but the protection from Barbs is a pretty nice bonus, too.

@Bowsling: Writing>Masonry>Maths or Masonry>Writing>Maths would both work. I personally prefer getting Masonry first. 1 or 2 Fast Worker's out of Indira in quick order is probably the best way to go, but you may want to sprinkle some turns building units / Granary to allow it to grow so we can whip those FW's. Otherwise, investing some of those chops into FW's or a Settler sounds good.

We should maybe adjust our "rule" about how long we have to play turns, since it seems like 24-48 was a little ambitious. This is meant to be a casual game so I think it makes sense to extend the amount of time we're giving ourselves to play the turns. At the same time, I don't want to take away a time limit completely as that could really slow things down. How about the following: 48 hours to claim the game, and an additional 120 hours (5 days) to play the turnset. That gives a total of a week to play the game from the time the save is posted. If a week passes without a turn report (or at least a post explaining the delay and giving a firm timeframe for when the new save will be posted), then we move to the next person on the list. Is the rest of the team ok with this?

We should maybe adjust our "rule" about how long we have to play turns, since it seems like 24-48 was a little ambitious. This is meant to be a casual game so I think it makes sense to extend the amount of time we're giving ourselves to play the turns. At the same time, I don't want to take away a time limit completely as that could really slow things down. How about the following: 48 hours to claim the game, and an additional 120 hours (5 days) to play the turnset. That gives a total of a week to play the game from the time the save is posted. If a week passes without a turn report (or at least a post explaining the delay and giving a firm timeframe for when the new save will be posted), then we move to the next person on the list. Is the rest of the team ok with this?

Then I would rather not be on the player list. I am so badly waiting for my turn and having to wait 2 months for one turn would make me loose interest.
Right now, the only thing that is making me check forums several times a day is the game between players. At the beginning, the SG did sound fun since it would go even faster than the Intrateam-Game. But right now it's at the same space, just without the regular fun I get each day by logging on and doing my turn and maybe discussing with my neighbours. Maybe I am just being inpatient here, but still I am not so very fond of that suggestion.
I learn best when it's possible to knit together a pattern between previously happened actions. I find it hard to see that pattern when a game goes really slow.
Even if we are discussing it on the forums here.

But on the other side: Many of you got kids, wife, maybe work that need more time than my fulltime teaching position. Maybe I'm just unreasonable.

Then I would rather not be on the player list. I am so badly waiting for my turn and having to wait 2 months for one turn would make me loose interest.
Right now, the only thing that is making me check forums several times a day is the game between players. At the beginning, the SG did sound fun since it would go even faster than the Intrateam-Game. But right now it's at the same space, just without the regular fun I get each day by logging on and doing my turn and maybe discussing with my neighbours. Maybe I am just being inpatient here, but still I am not so very fond of that suggestion.
I learn best when it's possible to knit together a pattern between previously happened actions. I find it hard to see that pattern when a game goes really slow.
Even if we are discussing it on the forums here.

But on the other side: Many of you got kids, wife, maybe work that need more time than my fulltime teaching position. Maybe I'm just unreasonable.

Sorry Maga + others: I forgot adding husbands

Top Bottom