Intrigue

teakbois

Prince
This is the weakest part of the expansion to me.

There seems to be no political ramifications for gathering it, or sharing it. And its mostly worthless. 'secretly plotting against you' rarely turns into an attack. Its nice when you get the rare sneak attack on a city message, but the whole system just seems rather poorly implemented

This is the weakest part of the expansion to me.

There seems to be no political ramifications for gathering it, or sharing it. And its mostly worthless. 'secretly plotting against you' rarely turns into an attack. Its nice when you get the rare sneak attack on a city message, but the whole system just seems rather poorly implemented

Well if you're caught, they confront you and you take a diplo hit or they kill your spy. If you successfully steal intel you can turn around and share it for a diplo bonus which is nice.

That said I've noticed that it's not always correct likely due to the AI being fickle. As you stated they don't always mount an attack despite their plans or end up changing their target. Yesterday I sent my first spy to Wu and found out the army she was marching in my general direction was heading off to attack an undiscovered civ. Next turn she DoW'd me instead, which tells me the AI is likely constantly weighing their options.

They do, but somewhere along the line, someone else did it first and thus he decides to be friendly with you instead.

I kind of like it. My spy told me that Bismark was plotting against me, and Theodora next turn told me the same thing. I spent all my gold upgrading, and switched all my cities to military production and rapidly pumped out a respectable army. Apparently, Bismark changed his mind at this point, but since his "must go to war bit" had been flipped, so he marched south and attacked Theodora.

Later, Theodora told me Napoleon was coming after me over the sea, heading for Cologne (poor Bismark). I starting setting up a Cologne Wall; gatling guns backed by artillery; and sent out one of my two Frigates on that side of the continent to serve as early warning. As soon as Napoleon encountered my frigate with his armada of Ironclads, Foreign Legions and Destroyers, he DOW'ed me, captured the Frigate, then nothing happened for a while, then he offered straight up peace. Then he proceeded to conquer his entire continent.

I like sharing intrigue with my friends, it's one more tick on the "like each other" list.

This was the best part of the espionage part of the expansion for me; I really enjoyed learning about these potential invasions so I could prepare. And I did find the diplomatic bonus for sharing useful.

I sent a high-ranking spy over to the Iroquois. I got Hiawatha is going to attack someone...Hiawatha is plotting against you...Hiawatha's Army is planning a sneak attack against city X.

I then planned a defense and set up my navy to take some of his coastal cities. He had also plotted against or planned invasions of other various civs and I warned them. Most of those attacks did not pan out. I have to imagine that the preparations for defense dissuaded Hiawatha from following through with his machinations.

It's actually kind of fun. I've also been keeping tabs on Sweden's enemies so keep in good graces with them.

You know, it occurs to me that I could use this to my benefit by NOT sharing, then preparing my own assault on one (*drools* or BOTH) of the two AIs, since I will know in advance that their military forces will be occupied.

I have the feeling the Ai knows that you have gathered intrigue .

Does anybody seen the AI actualy atack the person the intrigue said?

Each time I got information that the AI is plotting against me suddenly he changed his mind.And I didn't even increased my military.. .

Same goes for messages like the AI is atacking a other civilizations i've never seem them actualy do it, its like they know you told the target their plans pretty wierd

If this is true whats the point of intrigue?

You know, it occurs to me that I could use this to my benefit by NOT sharing, then preparing my own assault on one (*drools* or BOTH) of the two AIs, since I will know in advance that their military forces will be occupied.

I've done just this. Found out an AI was prepping for war, let that war happen and swept in behind them as they were preoccupied.

Top Bottom