Introduce Yourself!

Hello, I'm new here, but an old fan of Civ since Civ 4. Although, Civ 5 got me through my deployment to Afghanistan in 2011.
Anyways, new to the board and modding. So, stand by for the dumb questions.

No mods to Civ yet, have for FO4/Skyrim SSE though.
Started with CTP for Linux way way back.
Have a video posted on getting it to work with modern distros, it's still a fun play.

Alas, got sucked into the Diablo series for many years, then WoW. (don't ask my playtime in that game. It's kinda a stoopid big number)

Came back for 5 and all the stuff with it, started using mods.
With 6, playing with the tools and may make something, dunno what yet.
Having too much fun with the possiblities with FireTuner right now.

I'm the tinkerer type. "What happens if I do.... oh, that's what happens. Note to self..."
:)

I've been playing Civ games since Civ5 was released in 2010. I feel bad for not playing the older games, but I do like the talking leaders. Combined with interesting movement.
I studied Anthropology for my Bachelors and Masters degrees.
Got no modding skills to offer, except for historical research for Civilopedia, Unique ideas, even city-lists.

In particular, I'm interested in the indigenous peoples of the Americas. I've got a whole row of thick Smithsonian books about all the North American Indians, divided into cultural area. And a book about South American Archeology.
The second area of the whole I'm interested in is Southeast Asia. Third is West and Central Africa. Fourth is Oceania. Fifth is East and Northeast Asia. Sixth is South Asia. Seventh is likely West Asia. Eighth would be Europe.:p

Hello everybody. Civ6 is my first Civ game, and when I bought it I immediately became interested in modding. At first I kind of dabbled in everything, but now I have settled on making XML-based Alternate Leaders/Civs. Right now I have finished everything for an Edward IV of England mod, but I don't know how to make my leader art show up in-game. I've tried many ways.. None of them work.:mad: :badcomp: I also have a Bohemia civilization with Ottokar II as the leader. I need to finish the text and the leader art for it.

If anybody is interested in helping with text/leader art, please tell me.

One day I hope to have a map of Europe where it's so crowded with civs that each one can only have one city and everybody is having a land rush for Iceland :p

I've been playing civ since Civ 3, started playing in 2001. I've started modding civ 3 with my friend. Then Civ 4, civ 5 and now civ 6. I've always been fascinated by the World wars.
So that is why I've made the Relive World Wars mod. I try to make the best I can (I've made some arts and a lot of coding), but now I'm modding Civ 6 alone, so it's a long shot.

Hi everyone. First interested in Civ when I stumbled across the Civ 5 Battle Royale. I loved learning about new cultures and leaders that I was only vaugly aware of before hand. Picked up Civ 6 at launch and now ready to enter the modding frey. Currently working on a South Africa mod with ideas for a few others as well.

Only picked up Civ VI because of YouTube, never played one before, am completely hooked. Also been stark against modding games for a long time, but since playing this game, leader mods and city state mods and stuff have grown on me and now I'm trying my hand despite never coding or programming a thing in my life. Be gentle lol

Hey guys.

I've been a Civ player since the first game came out (although I was a little too young to truly appreciate it), and have played every single version a little too much. I've been a lurker on the CivFanatics forums since Civ IV and figure it's about time I gave something back to the amazing community here.

I'm not the best player, so creating a strategy guide isn't quite my thing, but I am a composer of music. So I'd like to make myself available for any of you out there that are creating any mods that might require music. I am a classically trained, orchestral composer, so I'd be very interested in helping to craft something that would fit in seemlessly with the original score for the game, or for any sort of overhaul that demands a classical soundtrack - like a traditional fantasy setting.

I guess I could go ahead and do this introduction thing. I'm a programmer and have been one a very long time, although as a job I've done it for only five years. As a modder I've been "active" (read: inactive...) since the Civilization II days. On technical level I can understand quite fast how mods work, but my interest has mostly been on localization side of things since I'm a Finn and happen to have a love for the Finnish language. That is why I work with a language pack, and why I don't do other kind of modding since my job takes most of my time, and the remaining time goes with either translation or playing the game, or just other life in general (what, what is this thing called life outside Civilization!).

But if you want or need some strong opinions on how to do localization in Civ 6 then you know who to ask for help :D I also recently released my language pack in Steam Workshop as a mod that works with both vanilla and R&F so if you need to know how to make a dynamic mod that works with either case then I guess I can help with that as well if having issues.

As a reminder the right way to ask for help: make a thread or ask a question in a relevant thread, and only then if you think I might be able to help then send me a PM and link the post. I really dislike (and leave unanswered) questions that are sent directly in private, because then others won't be able to get the info if they happen to need it.

As a reminder the right way to ask for help: make a thread or ask a question in a relevant thread, and only then if you think I might be able to help then send me a PM and link the post. I really dislike (and leave unanswered) questions that are sent directly in private, because then others won't be able to get the info if they happen to need it.

Welcome to the forums!

If someone does send you a question in private, could you tell them that or make a thread yourself? They may not know this is your policy.

Hi. Have lurked for a few years. Always looking for tips and thangs lol...enjoying the Nubia civ (early range units FTW lol). Working on a warmonger penalty mod. See y'all around probably ;)

Bonjour
Hello

Je suis français et mon anglais n'est pas vraiment bon, pas assez pour du langage sérieux, aussi j'espère que vous me pardonnerez.
I'm french and my inglish is not so good, not for a serious discussion, also i hope you can forgive me.

Je suis ici pour essayer de créer des mods qui ajouteraient simplement des nations personnalisées, inspiré par ce genre de mod : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184896420
I'm here for try to make some mods that just would add customs nations like this inspiration : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184896420

Je n'ai jamais modé quoi que ce soit et il me faudra tout apprendre depuis le début, mais j'espère avoir de l'aide. Alors merci pour votre accueil.
I never mod anything before and i have to learn everything from the beginning, but i hope you can help me. I thank you all for your welcome.

Hi everyone, it seems i missed that "introduce yourself topic" some months ago when i began to create mods for civ6.
My pseudo is "Shirohô", im 33y old, from France, and very passionate about mods because i always loved to tweak my stuffs.
I was originally a mod creator in Skyrim, witcher 3, warcraft 3, all Mass Effects, but i started with civ6 not so long time ago ... it's strange i didn't start sooner considering civilization series are my favourite pc games !

Not so long ago, I didn't know much about modding civ6, i only have my fragile basics from the 3years of computer university i did around 10 years ago. I always had deep regret not fullfilling my Computer science diploma (i gave up before having it). Later i became a comic artist and i love this job but it is a very hard life = bad health from drawing on computer 10hr/day and accepting you will be poor all your life and hardly having a social life too lol

Anyways, i get few progress there and there and hopefully, may be with your help btw, i will be able to complete all the mods i dreamed about for civ6 ! (all are called Radiant + something mod if you came accross one of them)
Im also the kind that doesn't go to sleep if there is still a mistake in my code even if it's 3.00 am and working in few hours but am sure you are aswell...

I saw there are lot of talented people modding civ6, nice to meet everyone here !

Meowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

A fan of cats and Sid's Civilization series (the first game was Civ2, played Civ 3, 4 and 5 and now playing Civ 6 Vanilla (even with RF installed.. just got a new and able computer fit for this game). and saw many mods (particularly new units ones like 'Moar Units' showcase (and how to). and also planned to make a Civ 6 Vanilla ones that adds more bits of historical accuracy/ actual functions (How come MG does more functions of offensive barrage like 18th century Fieldguns and less on a point defense as this weapon was usually deployed? and Bombards came BEFORE musketry, not AFTER)

Do I need programming skills (and which programming language is needed) to add new units or additional variety of unit appearances (like Cavalry with tricornes in addition to generic cavs with either Shako or Tarleton helmets)? What is the name of the tools maker of Moar Units mod uses to make new units? (particularly out of existing graphic materials or anything available to download in this page, like to make a culverin out of existing bombard barrel and fieldgun carriages. or add smokestacks to a frigate to make a steam powered (and armored) version for industrial era?) is this tool capable of painting a new colour into an existing sets of models or do I need an additional tools to make a new skins ? (like creating a 'bluecoat' Line Infantry by reversing Redcoats tunic colour schemes, resulting in an infantry similar to Prussian Line Infantry of Frederick II's era or American Continental Army ones?, are French 'Marines' created entirely with this modding tools alone? And to make Pike and Shotte units in Vanilla with regular strenghts and not Corps like what i've seen in Moar Units showcase). And to move existing units availability to different era (unlockable with different techs, for example... Bombard unlocked in Medieval Era, Machineguns and AA with Replaceable parts rather than Advanced Ballistics)... Switching classes of any existing units (Redcoats actually fits in Anti-cav class better than Melee) or permitting Range attack options to any melee units (And vice versa. think of Persian Immortals in RF).

Oh I almost forgot.. How to make a new unit portrait out of the sample actual appearances of the new units? (or replace Bombard 'crew' portrait with its 'self').

Apparently, I never introduced myself.

I started playing Civilization at 5. Unfortunately, I didn't find it sooner.
I've always loved modding (used to mod a lot of Command & Conquer games: RA2, Generals, RA3, etc).

I'm a C# Developer as my day-job and do a decent amount of SQL development as well.
I love making tools that make peoples lives easier, particularly tiny annoying things like adding the CompatibleVersions tag to all of your .modinfo files.

If you ever think there's something I could help automate, I'm all ears :)

Hi guys,

My first Civ played was Revolution (yes, really) and after that i played a lot at Civ 5 and 6 alone and with my friend or with my father. I like play RTS like C&Cs, AoE, WC3 and other videogames genre.
I decided to start modding Civ6, I would like to create new Civs, so I'm really interested at learn how to mod the game, create new stuff.

Who am I?
My name is Massimo, I'm from Italy, 21 y old and I studying at university. I'm learning C#, SQL, HTML and PHP.

I'm happy to join the forum, we'll see you soon!

I'll throw my hat out there. Hello all, I tend to go by Zugaikotsu.
I'm probably fairly new to Civilization series compared to most of you, with Civilization V being my first real introduction to the series. I am, however, familiar with the genre from well before with both traditional RTS/Turn-Based Global 4x strategy on both the video game and board game variants.
While fairly new to this community, I've been part of a few larger gaming communities and modding communities in my time, but I have not really jumped back in since leaving college and entering into my career. I work professionally as a programmer working as a Project Team Lead, and have delved into a few languages, and am fairly comfortable with SQL, Database structures, and large-scale code control.

Most of my passion for coding perhaps originated from my time learning in the modding community before. If possible, I would like to help and contribute here to not only progress the community with created items (which admittedly I may not have the most time to actually do), but to help others with utilities or guidance into developing items to better further the community and game. I look forward to working with you all.

Wait a minute, how has it been almost a year since anyone has introduced themselves on this thread?

Anyway, I joined in 2017 after lurking for a few years, and yet I never noticed this thread until now. My first Civ game was Civ II, but it was Civ IV that got me both hooked on the game and interested in modding, and I've been following the series ever since.

Civ IV was when I discovered map scripts, and other map types besides the normal stuff that you get with Shuffle. Lakes in particular blew my mind, once I realized that I could normalize the map size and play with a ridiculous amount of land. I also hacked the shuffle map script to roll Lakes half of the time so that whenever I started a game, I had no idea what I was going to find.

But I didn't publish any mods until Civ V BNW. I loved the game, but I missed my hacked Civ IV Lakes map shuffle so much that I wrote a shuffle-style map script to include Lakes plus all the other vanilla map types. Then over time I noticed other things that I could fix, and the map script evolved along with my understanding of Lua and the Civ V map generator.

Then Civ VI came along, and after a few months I decided to port my map script. I'm glad I did, because terrain has a huge impact on gameplay: rivers for housing, terrain and resource adjacencies for various districts, mountains for science, canals, volcanoes, ice that melts, civs starting in water...

So if anyone needs help with a map script, I'd be happy to answer questions or give advice. Otherwise, I think I'm finally finished with the map script that I started back in 2015, so now I might actually play the game again :crazyeye:

Hi all,
Joined when I was playing Civ 3 ... apparently that was 2006! Wow, time flies!
Started very loosely getting into modding in Civ 4 (basically just minor edits/tweaks of the most awesome mod ever: Rhys and Fall of Civilization for Civ 4 BTS --- and then the successor to that mod: Dawn of Civilization)
Left the civfanatics forum for many years while playing Civ 5 (but no modding or even any looking at game files)
But now I'm in Civ 6 - and ever since I took some technical courses on code development last summer (mainly in C#, Javascript, CSS, HTML, and SQL) I've been doing more and more modifying game files (though no official mods as of right now) Unfortunately, a lot of really important stuff in Civ 6 is done with lua ... which I'm trying to get used to, but still really new at it.
Then, after realizing I wasn't using all the resources available to me (after I left this forum years ago and moving my online presence to the Steam forums) I logged in here today to see what goodies I can find in this forum, and maybe hopefully eventually I can be of help to someone else!

Salam and Greetings to all.

Just a restrain-movement-order old school guy attempting to educate myself with learning to create a small and humble mod to stay alert and not go senile ....

Your tutorials are priceless !

Thanks in advance !

Top Bottom