IOT Developmental Thread

@Thor, is this a continuation of the one you GM'ed?

Would we return to our old nations or create new ones?
It is a continuation, albeit in a new thread, the aim being to start from roughly where we left off, hence my need to see who's game. I never really had a timescale for the first game, nor am I absolute on how many years have passed before this one. I might tweak the borders a bit for territorial regression, and of course open up what's left to newcomers; most of the NPCs can be retooled as prebuilt nations.

I'd probably return as some sort of faction that worships the abhorrents, born directly out of the ruins of the Neo-Incan/Marian state. (The Abhorrents are the furry mutants, yes?)
And the Kaetif. If this were Civ, the Abhorrents would be the barbarians. A death cult would be fun, and totally within your character. :lol:

It's worth mentioning the Kaetif as they would be another policymaking wildcard. A nation's stance toward them can have varying repercussions: giving them too much freedom in an unfriendly country may incite human revolt; likewise, keeping them downtrodden might encourage them to take up arms.

This game will be peppered with random events.

And the Kaetif. If this were Civ, the Abhorrents would be the barbarians. A death cult would be fun, and totally within your character. :lol:

Now what is that supposed to mean? :p

It's worth mentioning the Kaetif as they would be another policymaking wildcard. A nation's stance toward them can have varying repercussions: giving them too much freedom in an unfriendly country may incite human revolt; likewise, keeping them downtrodden might encourage them to take up arms.

This game will be peppered with random events.

Well we will definitely worship the Kaetif as evolved human beings. I sense that while your zones were the Tiberium reference, my nation will be yet another one; we must embrace the technology of radiation to evolve!

What would be considered unfriendly areas? Can we influence our people's stance towards the Kaetif?

Yes, I know it's early, but I'm really excited! :)

Hard to say, exactly. It'd be the kind of thing developed nigh exclusively through roleplay. I might write short bios for the returning nations in the OP to offer an initial outlook, but barring peer-to-peer discussion prior to going live, it'd be mostly guesswork on my part.

My thought process goes something like this: how sheltered a country was from the global nuclear exchange, its existing domestic policies, and the public sense of guilt/atonement for the post-nuclear crisis. The Hetmanate, for example, doesn't necessarily "like" the Kaetif, but considers itself morally obligated to accommodate them, and was one of the first nations to incorporate them into the armed forces.

My thought process goes something like this: how sheltered a country was from the global nuclear exchange, its existing domestic policies, and the public sense of guilt/atonement for the post-nuclear crisis. The Hetmanate, for example, doesn't necessarily "like" the Kaetif, but considers itself morally obligated to accommodate them, and was one of the first nations to incorporate them into the armed forces.

And any nation founded by me, given half our empire being Neo-Incan and thus the idea of furries was already widespread, would presumably be one of the most tolerant, if not the most?

...we're intolerant towards humans though since they're unevolved

Indubitably.

I'm looking forward to this, and would gladly retake the reins of the NCSA. I'm slightly disappointed that IIRC, alot of my land was wiped out by radiation from the New England Empire, even though I never used a nuke, and was only nuked once.

Rough draft of what I have done so far idea wise. Need suggestions here since I've only been looking at it with one pair of eyes. :)

Spoiler :
Background

It is 1955. Welcome to the Revolution! The Revolution swept across the globe, tearing apart every nation on the planet. What is the Revolution and why did it happened? No one knows. There was no order it seems. One day, humanity as a whole it was time to completely rewrite the borders.

And by the looks of it, they did.

The Rules

Note: all rules are subject to change, so please keep an eye out for them. Thanks. Yes, these rules are pretty much borrowed by IOTVI. No point in reinventing the wheel.

House Rules

1. Do not flame, troll, or personally insult any other player OOC or IC. At all. You may comment on certain things negatively, but don't take it further than that.
2. Stay on topic. Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT and have nothing to do with your personal religious/political beliefs.
3. Your posts should actually consist of something relevant to your nation and not just one-liner comments. Do not spam.
4. Long diplomatic discussions belong to the realms of Social Groups or visitor and private messaging, not the Game Thread.
5. No powergaming. By definition, powergaming is making your country surpass every other country by all terms including armed forces, technology, etc.
6. The GM is supreme. He reserves the right to change game rules, ignore or modify orders, impose restrictions on players, disband player nations, and so on.
7. Above all else, RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS.

I'll usually warn players first if they break the rules. If they break the rules repeatedly, then I'll apply this:

1st Strike: Player is suspended from the game for one turn.
2nd Strike: Player is suspended from the game for three turns.
3rd Strike: Player nation dissolved, and the player banned from ever rejoining.

I reserve the right to ignore this policy for players who really piss me off, and kick them out of the game instantly.

Inactive players (AWOL for more than 3 turns) risk facing the Wrath of the GM (WoG) ie having their nation disbanded. These players can rejoin the game, but their old territories won't be restored to them; they'll start off with 10 claims like every new player.

Joining the Game

To join the game, first choose a nation name and colour to represent your realms. Perhaps tell us a bit about your nation; your government, policies, history, and so on. Claim any five provinces on the map, with the condition that they either have to be contiguous or on the coast.

Updates

This IOT is a turn-based game. Each turn ends and a new turn begins with an Update. Updates will be rather irregular, but I will never update within 72 hours of a previous update. So, it is best to get your claims and orders in the first 72 hours of the turn. Why three days and not two? Because it works better for everyone.

I will make a Claims thread. Every update, you can post ONE post in this thread which should include

Claims
Declarations of War
Declarations of Peace
Any government-related stuff
Blockades
Etc.

Roleplaying

Roleplaying is the essence of IOT. It’s how your nation develops. It’s how alliances are formed and broken. Roleplaying is very encouraged. Feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting and the etiquette listed above.

I should note that we are at ~1955 tech more or less. There are no ICBMs (yet) and no one's gone into space yet.

The UN

There is the UN. Its mainly meant settling territorial disputes by vote. However, members can always propose peacekeeping missions.

Peacekeeping missions are missions used to restore order in neutral or collapsed regions. These may not seem important in the beginning, but should a region see an increase in civil strife, it can spill over into another territory.

Expansion

If you are not at war, you can peacefully claim FIVE provinces each turn. If no other nation claims the same territory, they will be annexed to your empire on update. They must be next to your own territories or on the coast. Note you cannot expand in this manner in wartime.

If there are competing claims, you can either discuss it amongs yourselves, or take it to the UN. I will call a vote of all the nations, and I will award the territory to the nation which receives the highest number of votes.

Note: all one-province islands except Greenland and all one pixel provinces costs 1/2 XP instead of one.

Leadership Points

The number of LP you have is dependant on the number of provinces you have. Each province=one LP. LPs can't be stored so any LP not used during a turn is lost.

LPs can be used to build armies and navies; fund counterespionage and espionage agents; fund WMD programs, and traded to other players for XP.

War

Armies cost 1 LP to build. Navies cost 2 LP.

Armies and navies are stored in a pool meaning you don't move them around on the map individually (just like in IOTVI). Navies are used for securing sea provinces from the enemy. When a nation has secured a sea province, they can choose who is allowed through and who isn't.

Attacking

Armies only attack adjacent territories or a coastal territory.

To attack, PM me where you want to attack and how many armies you're dedicated to each battle. Attacking over land gives the attacker the advantage. Attacking from sea gives a penalty.

Both land battles and sea battles work like this. Armies (or navies) will compete against another in an RNG and the RNG decides which army is lost. This continues until each army on both sides has went so having a larger force is an advantage in and of itself. After the combat loss rolls are finished, the game winning roll is thrown and whoever wins that wins the battle and gets or keeps the territory. Amphibious landings, chemical weapons, blockades, and flanking attacks affect RNG rolls.

Defending

Any army you don't use for attacking defends.

Military Aid

Nations can donate armies, navies, LPs, and WMDs to another nation.

Espionage

Espionage is a different beast in this game. It's mainly the game of trying to quell foreigners funding rebellions in your nation.

Counter Espionage:
Investment is cumulative and global, meaning you don't have to target anyone. Each point decreases the chances of an enemy act succeeding. If you have NOTHING invested, you can get screwed. Starts at 10.

Espionage:

This one you have to target. When you PM me, give me the target name and how many points you want to devote. Every point you devote reduces the target's CE points. You won't be discovered doing this for values under 10 LP. Every point above 1 equals 1% of being discovered. There's a chance you can discover secret things about the nation as well.

Fund Rebellion:

Funding a rebellion costs 5 LP and reduces the other player's CE by 10, making it more "cost effective" than simple espionage. However, you will always be caught and success depends on how much CE the target has and how much you fund the rebellion (5 LP is the minimum cost).

Double Agents

Cost 10 LP and must be targeted. How this works is that the player PMs the command and gives me a target. If that target uses espionage against the player using the Double Agent, instead of decreasing CE, the target will actually increase the CE. Same with funding rebellion.

WMDs

No one can build one of the three WMDs at all at the beginning. There are three WMDs. Chemical, Nuclear, and Biological. Each one has special effects and drawbacks to their use.

To begin a program, you have to have 30 LP (just an example) into the Nuclear, Chemical, or Biological tree. Each point above 30=1% chance of finishing the program the next turn.

Once you finish the program, you will be able to build low-tier versions of the weapon and I'll tell you about what further investment in the program can yield.

Nuclear Weapons:

Program Minimum Cost: 45 LP for first tier. 90 for second. 135 for third.

First Tier: Atomic bombs. Can be used strategically to disable the LP production of an enemy territory for three turns. Can be used tactically in battle to give a 10% chance of success in battle. Costs 5 LP to build

Second Tier: Thermonuclear Bombs: Can't be used tactically. Can be used to turn an enemy territory neutral. 20% of target becoming wasteland. Costs 10 LP to build.

Third Tier: Experimental: Can't be used tactically. Turns target into a wasteland. 20% of adjacent territories becoming wasteland as well. Costs 20 LP to build.

Note: Wastelands last 10 turns. They are unclaimable and can't be crossed.

Chemical Weapons:

Program Minimum Cost: 35 LP for first tier, 70 for second, 105 for third.

First tier: Incapitating Agents. Can't be used strategically. A player can use chemical weapons in combat to add a 5% chance of victory in RNG.. Costs 3 LP.

Second Tier: Lethal Agents. Can be used strategically to disable LP production of a enemy territory for 1 turn. Can be used tactically for a +10% in RNG. Costs 6 LP

Third Tier: Nova Gas. Can be used strategically and tactically. Strategic use disables LP production in target territory for 2 turns. +15% in RNG. Costs 12 LP.

Biological Weapons:

Program Minimum Cost: 55 LP for first tier, 110 for second tier, 165 for third tier.

All Bioweapons can only be used strategically.

First tier: 30% infection. When used, there's a 30% chance it'll infect neighboring provinces as well. From there, there's a 25% chance and so on. Disease can't spread by sea if the route through the sea is blockaded. Infected territories don't produce LP. Infection lasts 2 turns but can be reinfected. Costs 10 LP.

Second tier: 60% infection. Same as above. Disease keeps sperading but each turn, the chance of infection goes down 5%. Infection lasts 3 turns. Costs 20 LP

Third Tier: 90% infection. Same as above. Infection lasts four turns. Costs 40 LP.

Note: I do an RNG to decide if the weapon "mutates". There's only a 1% chance of that happening and given the costs, there should be little chance of it happening but if it does happen….it could be bad.

Collapsed Nations

Nations inactive for three turns collapse. Each territory spawns militias and warlords and bordering nations may have to deal with cross-border raids if they're not careful. It doesn't help that other players can still gift warlords LP....

Warlords can't expand.

Use of Straits
Players controllingthe following provinces can block other players from accessing the respective straits: Gibraltar or N. Morocco (Strait of Gibraltar), Suez or Sinai (Suez Canal), Istanbul (Bosporus), Copenhagen or Malmo (Kattegat), Sinai (Tiran), Djibouti or Aden (Bab-el-Mandeb), Bandar-Abbas or Dubai (Hormuz).

Control of these straits can potentially close off the following seas: the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf, and the Gulf of Aqaba. It can be very useful to block players to stop them claiming or attacking certain regions. A player blocked in the Mediterranean cannot sail out, for instance, and can't claim or attack territories outside of the Med that is not adjacent to their own territories.

Err...Did you copy the IOT VI OP, and just add the WMD bit?

I copied the IOV VI in its entirety and then reworked everything more than just a bit. Espionage has been changed near completely. LPs come from territories controlled. Armies and navies are used for war. There are sea provinces (which is why I needed one of the two certain maps). Finally, changed how inactive nations/disbanded nations work (instead of just diappearing off the face of the earth).

After all, IOTVI is pretty solid in many regards so I just took a knife (or an axe in one case) to the parts that looked good at first but in practice didn't work out such as combat, blockades, etc.

Given that the IOT is based on IOT VI's rules, I didn't see the point in reinventing the wheel except in places where the wheel could be a bit more round.

The world was totally nuked the last time, will it still be uninhabitable this time or will the territories that where nuked be unclaimed? Also assuming if I can return, who will I take control of as I was wiped out last time?

It'll carry on from the epilogue, so what was black is still black, but one of the higher-tier multinational projects enables the slow recovery of the planet.

Technically Vermont survived, although out of its four remaining provinces, only Gambia emerged unscathed. You can opt to return to them, you can start as a brand new nation, or you can take control of one of the many NPC regions.

Top Bottom