Iroquois unique ability is NOT active from the start

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Something to keep in mind for early-game Iroquois strategies: note that despite the purchased chain of forest tiles, the forests do not count as a trade route.

Spoiler :

However, the faster movement does work, so it appears the trade aspect requires The Wheel. If you want the trade bonuses, you cannot skip that tech and animal husbandry to focus on the stonehenge/GL or ironworking routes.

Two other possible hypothoses:
1: Did you *just* buy the connecting tile? Trade routes take effect the following turn after setting up, IIRC.
2: perhaps the river blocks the route.

I guess you need the tech for roads for it to treat forests as roads. May or may not have been intended. My guess is it's probably just a quirk of the programing, but it's possible they never specifically planned for it to act otherwise.

Onodaga has three tiles improved which form a moat around the city. There is no forest route.

No the camp improvement kept the forest so it still counts; I think that "the wheel" unlocks the trade routes which would explain why it doesn't show up 'til then.

Oh whoops, I thought Onodaga was north of that blocky improvement. As it turns out, Onodaga is that blocky improvement.

The OP states
However, the faster movement does work, so it appears the trade aspect requires The Wheel. If you want the trade bonuses, you cannot skip that tech and animal husbandry to focus on the ironworking route.
So, no, he doesn't have the wheel ;)

I bet this is a simple issue regarding the code: IMHO it doesn't check for trade routes if the civ doesn't have the wheel ;) It is the simplest explanation atleast ...

It makes sense to have the wheel to me. I mean, England's UA needs the tech to embark, Babylon UA's needs something built for GP generation, Nappy's UA expires, etc.

Edit: Units can move at turn zero, trade routes require a tech and a road. The forest "road" is there but not the tech.

^Agreed. A person would not make the same assumption with the other "trade route" tech for harbors.

Top Bottom