Is a big Asian war coming?

Cause on the cover of the Economist the turtle says 'sadly, yes'.

I read that article this morning. It was bad. For one thing they attribute China to Imperial Germany as if the conditions of the two time periods were the same thing.

Then it proceeded to argue against itself on the reason why China and Japan need friendly relations and lastly, it attributed all the hoo-haa over the islands mainly to nationalistic textbooks that are forcing the government to not concede on the islands.

It's a rather bad Leader article coming from the economist.

For one thing they attribute China to Imperial Germany as if the conditions of the two time periods were the same thing.
Don't forget the total failure to properly diagnose the reason for the outbreak of the First World War.

I hear it was because a bloke named Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

the big Asian war will happen when the Middle East goes up in flames and when the US finds the going tough , blaming this and that .

What? You mean, when the US finds itself over stretched and China takes the opportunity?

(That turtle could be Great A'Tuin taking a holiday swim. In which case, those islands are truly huge.)

What? You mean, when the US finds itself over stretched and China takes the opportunity?

(That turtle could be Great A'Tuin taking a holiday swim. In which case, those islands are truly huge.)
What crisis could possibly occur that would paralyze the US Navy so badly that it would be unable to respond to something the Chinese did if the US government so desired?

"deep economic interdependence does not prevent war between two countries. look at ww1"

should be a meme now

What crisis could possibly occur that would paralyze the US Navy so badly that it would be unable to respond to something the Chinese did if the US government so desired?

Now, I don't know.

But how about a major middle-east-iranian-pakistan conflagration?

I wouldn't like to say that even this could exactly paralyze the US Navy. But it could severely overstretch it.

Obama reelected, guts the military to pay for his health plan, propping up failing companies that bought his re-election, and welfare benefits for the immigrant hordes crossing the southern border.

That crisis enough for you?

Obama reelected, guts the military to pay for his health plan, propping up failing companies that bought his re-election, and welfare benefits for the immigrant hordes crossing the southern border.

More like fantasy.

Now, I don't know.

But how about a major middle-east-iranian-pakistan conflagration?

I wouldn't like to say that even this could exactly paralyze the US Navy. But it could severely overstretch it.

You have to keep in mind that the US Navy could simultaneously take on every other navy in the world in a stand up fight. And that the bulk of the strength of those other navies are close American allies. The strongest navies in the world that are not US close allies are Russia, China, India. And those nations don't have particularly strong navies. So there really isn't any possible naval power lineup that would prevent the US Navy from assisting our allies in Japan and the Philippians as necessary.

Renmin Ribao's today editorial says that the PRC's never going to make a concession. Just letting you know.

Source (in Chinese)

Big war in Asia? Well, we've got the following deep rivalries:

PRC vs. RoC

North Korea vs. South Korea

PRC vs. Japan

India vs. Pakistan

Israel vs. Iran vs. Saudi Arabia

Big hotspots all over the place, and in a continent this big, there's a lot of potential sparks. Will there actually be a big war? If everyone is thinking sensibly, probably not. In the event that something does start up between the Chinas or Koreas, or in the Middle East, the USA will be there.

Well, hopefully economic interdependence will win over rapid nationalism.

I don't mind the saber rattling by China though... drives non-PRC countries with a dog in this fight towards the US.

Sounds pretty bad... though practically impossible.

Why would the United States pay Welfare Benefits to all the Americans moving to Mexico?

Perhaps.

But so is the idea of the Soviet Union breaking up.

The signs were all there, according to the post-collapse articles by pundits.

Are you saying the problems facing the US are as dire as those faced by the Soviet Union?

Top Bottom