Is Asexuality a choice?

See question in first post

• Yes it is a choice

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • No it is not a choice

Votes: 67 73.6%

• Total voters
As others have said, not necessarily. ;) And while I think I mostly agree with you, I think you underestimate the ability of human being's to shape who, and how, they're sexually attracted to someone. It's not like a light switch that can be turned on and off, but I do think you can restrict, or at least restrain, your sexual attraction to someone, and not just your sexual interaction with them. Have you really never forced yourself to not be attracted to someone that you didn't think you should?

And yes, I realize this is kind of tangential to the actual thread topic. I just find it interesting.

Not necessarily what? Everything you quoted included a "mostly" modifier, which indicates that I meant not necessarily, just mostly, except the last bit, which I'm certain you don't disagree with.

I do think you can repress your desires, absolutely. That's not the same as choosing not to have those desires. Personally I can't think of a single occasion on which I was attracted to someone and was able to erase that attraction. I've been able to overcome it, to set it aside and ignore it, but not make it not so. Perhaps I've just got less willpower or something than y'all, but I can't control what turns me on.

And that's exactly the thread topic, I think. If asexuality is not a choice, it's because we don't pick our sexual desires. If it is a choice, it's because we do pick our sexual desires. (At least, whether to have them.) There's a possibility that asexuality is not a choice and we do pick our sexual desires and an asexual person simply hasn't chosen anything to get hot for, but given that the overwhelming majority of the human population does get hot for something, and that that something is usually pretty mundane, and that none of us remember making that choice, I find that very unlikely.

Personally I can't think of a single occasion on which I was attracted to someone and was able to erase that attraction. I've been able to overcome it, to set it aside and ignore it, but not make it not so.
I know what you mean. Even if a girl's totally . .. .. .. .. .y I can't help it if I find her body appealing (if it is). The world would be a much better place I think if we really could choose our own attractions. Good looking people wouldn't be able to get away with being jerks & nice guys (and gals) would always get play :)!

I know what you mean. Even if a girl's totally . .. .. .. .. .y I can't help it if I find her body appealing (if it is). The world would be a much better place I think if we really could choose our own attractions. Good looking people wouldn't be able to get away with being jerks & nice guys (and gals) would always get play :)!

You're assuming everyone would choose to be attracted to ugly people as long as they were nice?

I don't buy it. How can anyone in the god green earth cannot be sexually attracted to anybody. I say it is just cop out on saying one is a failure in life on obtaining a partner who can meet whatever sexual intimacy the one desire. Asexuality? Bullcrap.It is not a choice but more like a person who have no "game" yo.

I don't buy it. How can anyone in the god green earth cannot be sexually attracted to anybody. I say it is just cop out on saying one is a failure in life on obtaining a partner who can meet whatever sexual intimacy the one desire. Asexuality? Bullcrap.It is not a choice but more like a person who have no "game" yo.

I don't buy it. How can anyone in Gaia's blue Earth be sexually attracted to anything?

You argument works both ways, because you don't have an argument. Cite evidence supporting your position that asexuality is not a true sexual orientation, but a defense mechanism against "failure"/rejection.

I am one of the few people that thinks that your sexuality IS a choice, and is NOT against homosexuality bisexuality or anything besides "straight". (oh and by the way "metrosexual" does not exist.) there's straight, gay, bisexual or asexual. That's it.

I would disagree. There are actually many people that are asexual. Its possible to just not be attracted to someone of the opposite gender. I used to be asexual for a long time... There were various girls in the past during that time that actually would hit on me but I would ignore them since I was asexual. (and i'm straight now).

Do you know what metrosexual means?

I wikipediad it and it roughly said "straight men that sort of act gay". Thats not a sexuality. That's just a subgroup of straight men. Its like saying there are eight different continents: north america, south america, europe, asia, africa, antarctica, australia, and brazil. Brazil is not a continent, its a subgroup within south america.

In that same since, "being straight and acting a certain way" is not its own sexuality, its just a subgroup within straight.

I would disagree. There are actually many people that are asexual. Its possible to just not be attracted to someone of the opposite gender. I used to be asexual for a long time... There were various girls in the past during that time that actually would hit on me but I would ignore them since I was asexual. (and i'm straight now).
During the time you were asexual, it is possible that the advances from the chicks were fugly enough where your attraction was reduced to nil? LOL

I don't buy it dude. It is either you are gay (bi-curious?) or just suffered from some kind of a growth hormone insufficiency.

personally I'd like to redifine "asexual" as: not giving a damn about what you are doing behind closed doors as long as it is legal.

this coming from a lefty who has, at times, gaily laughed about conservatives deifying the "sanctity of marriage" while defiling the same.

Metrosexuality is caused by hormones in food & offgassing chemicals. Also, lack of male role models of any merit.

Metrosexuality is caused by hormones in food & offgassing chemicals. Also, lack of male role models of any merit.

Is it true that some males can actually get their masculinity by their mothers and in some cases as well get their femininity by their fathers?:crazyeye: Or perhaps get them both from either the mom or the dad? So that can make one think on how the argument about male role models doen't necessarily come in play for shaping the man's libido.

I am one of the few people that thinks that your sexuality IS a choice, and is NOT against homosexuality bisexuality or anything besides "straight". (oh and by the way "metrosexual" does not exist.) there's straight, gay, bisexual or asexual. That's it.

When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Lots of medical conditions can involve a loss of libido... in fact if I recall correctly you made a thread on the subject a while ago and people mentioned depression etc.

Low sex drive due to physiological or physchological disorder is not equivalent to a non-existent sexual orientation; the orientation is still there, just suppressed.

Top Bottom