1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Atheism a Belief System? (split from the Political Views thread)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sickening, Dec 1, 2018.

1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Judging by the timeframes, it seems to be about when Gingrich started the new trend of treating Democrats as 'the other' and not as competitors hired to protect Democracy.

A lot of the fall of the Republican party can be traced to there

2. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

So then what's the relation between intuition and indoctrination?

3. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

I do not know what you are getting at with this question, since you could look the words up.

But if we think of three separate concepts in relation— indoctrination, logic, and moral intuition— the moral intuition is the person at the center. This faculty allows animals to look at something and react to it instantly. Logic is something humans use primarily to justify their intuitions. You seldom see cases of people reasoning in favor of something they dislike without great effort. Indoctrination is an outside attempt to do exactly to intuition, what intuition does to logic, which is to direct it towards expedient goals.

El_Machinae likes this.
  4. bernie14

So are you saying that human moral intuition is akin to animal instincts? Could be but I think our frontal lobes muddy the relationship between instinct and indoctrination

Edit .. I just seem to have difficulty relating instinctual behavior to morality....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. El_Machinae

An incredible amount of our moral thinking is in response to instincts that we've then going on to add rationalizations to. The fact that we diverge in certain instincts partially explains the Divergence between the morality expressed by people who self identify as liberal or conservative

6. bernie14

Our commie friends may disagree...

As for me, yes, I have seen studies showing correlation between certain brain activity and political leaning but I don't know about "an incredible amount".... seems those "rationalizations" (environment, indoctrination, education, etc) can have a pretty powerful effect on decision making.

7. El_Machinae

A lot of our morals can be found in the instincts of other animals. There's good reason to assume that morals built off of instincts. And some were post-rationalized.

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

People seem like they tend to think they're more separate than I'd wager they are. Like when people claim rape is either about power or about about sex.

9. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Chieftain

Because we know that people are flawed, are prone to lying, have limited senses and limited brains that interpret those senses, fallible memories, susceptible to hallucinations and can be insane.

I don't want to be accused of proselytising the religion of science or anything, but there's a good reason that the scientific method relies on independent verification, repeatability and, wherever possible, the lack of reliance on human senses and perception. It's the best way we have for controlling for those human flaws, and it's rather telling that no religious or supernatural claims have ever passed that sort of scrutiny.

As for the OP - Atheism is simply the lack of belief in any God or Gods. Many atheists may well go further than that and have a positive belief in the lack of a God or Gods, but that's not what atheism is. And even if it were, that's not a belief system.

Valka D'Ur, brennan and AmazonQueen like this.
  10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

You seem intent on missing the point.

11. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

no you

12. Timsup2nothin

Not at all. I understand the basics of science. That wasn't the point.

Let's ask a hypothetical...

If you were driving, lost control of your car, and went off a cliff...and your car returned to the road and a guy walked up to your window and said "That was, as we say in the trade, your personal 'come to Jesus' moment. Congratulations." Would you:

a) Drive back off the cliff to see if it was a repeatable experiment.
    b) Log immediately into CFC and try to convince us that it really really happened.
    c) Accept that your world view needed a little work, but figure it would be best not to try to explain why to anyone else.

13. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

14. Timsup2nothin

Yeah, avoiding the question is probably the most popular choice. Hardly anyone is willing to confront the reality that we operate off of personal experience, we only talk about almighty science. Even actual scientists.

15. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

d) say "Thank you, Jesus." As we learned in another thread, when someone gives you a gift, the proper response is to say "Thank you" (regardless of gender)

16. Timsup2nothin

This is a rough translation of the existing option c, and seems a very good idea to me. But that's just me.

17. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Except that my worldview allows for the possibility of Jesus rescuing me from driving off a cliff, so no work on that needed.

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  18. El_Machinae

The Logical error is assuming that this is proof of God. It is an infinite leap of faith to go from suspecting that there are unexplainable phenomenon all the way to believing that you have interacted with the creator of the universe

19. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Everything beyond, "whut does me good is good" is a leap of faith. So... meh?

It seems remarkably unpopular here to argue otherwise, so again... meh?

Without logical error... Eff it. Equation complete.

20. El_Machinae

I don't mind a discussion on pragmatism. We are often pragmatic, and for good reason. If that event happened, it would be well worth changing your behavior. It might even be worth allowing your subconscious to change your priors. But that's just pragmatism.

It's just not evidence sufficient to believe in God.