1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Canada's Immigration System Ideal?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Even if illegal immigration isn't included in that chart, estimates for illegal immigrants in the US put the number around 3-4% of the population - not enough to get America above Canada (even if we assume Canada has no illegal immigrants).

Personally, speaking a a Canadian lawyer who articled in immigration law...the system is less than ideal. It may be better than others, but there are a lot of issues with it, ranging from monstrous bureaucratic delays (far in excess of their own claimed delays), significant barriers especially for young international couples (seriously, if you as a Canadian haven't managed to build a stable career - and we all know how impossible that is for young people -, you might as well kiss your foreign-born spouse goodbye. Or immigrate to their country.). Arbitrary skepticism and bias on the part of immigration authorities (if you don't have the photographs depicting a stereotypical love story, you are immediately suspected of sham marriage and likely to be turned down), immigration official who are more interested in backing each other than in delivering fair decisions (I've seen cases that went to the Federal Court three or four times - each time after a separate ruling from the immigration commission - before the Federal Court just got sick of the immigration commission's sheananigans and told them to accept the freaking application already), a strong "guilty until proven innocent beyond reasonable doubt" mentality (seriously, I've seen some flimsy pretext for doubts used to reject refugee and immigration application)...

No. The system is decidedly not ideal.

Arwon likes this.
  2. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Warlord

What do Canadians think of their country's immigration system? Are there any reports as such about this topic?

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Basically, without it, most of us wouldn't be here. :p

Fast-forward to now, and you get everything from "accept nobody" to "accept everybody except terrorists". "Terrorists" currently defined by the right-wing as anyone who is Muslim (and thanks to the shenanigans of Trudeau's latest international trip, some would also include Sikhs).

4. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Warlord

Thanks for your response!

I respectfully ask this: Do you think the Canadian immigration system is harsher in practice than perceived by the general Canadian population?

5. Valka D'Ur

I honestly couldn't say, since I was born here and the most recent immigration that happened in my family (dad's family; I don't count my mother's side) was nearly a century ago.

There have been articles on CBC.ca about immigration snafus regarding paperwork (the applicant is married to a Canadian, has children with her Canadian husband, wants citizenship, sends in every bit of required paperwork, the application is sent back for some flimsy reason including the claim that part of the paperwork is missing when it's clearly there...) and it must be so incredibly frustrating for these people.

6. Arwon

Arwon

Nope, it does. It is foreign born population based on census and survey data. Population statistics, not administrative datasets, and adjusted for undercount.

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

In my experience through my family and through friends immigrating here, it's no more harsh than any other bureaucratic hellscape process. Which is to say that it's awfully particular, especially if your case goes by someone's desk that doesn't like you or is a stickler for random details. If you've been on welfare for health reasons or involved in government disputes, it's about equal to that level of perpetual despair.

The stakes of course differ between different people. For some, immigration delays or obstacles aren't a big deal. For many, it can potentially ruin their life. The more at stake, the harsher the system feels.

8. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

My experience was pretty positive, but I came to the country as a minor. My parents handled my immigration. I don't know what they had to endure, but my dad's office would have handled the majority of the hurdles before he was transferred here. I became a citizen later, after I was finished college and decided to remain in Canada to be a nurse. I did my paperwork and after a few years working as a landed immigrant, I was accepted. I don't know what it is like now, as this was years ago, and I came from a "friendly" country. From what I have read, and by talking to people, it seems to be harder to get in unless you have a serious skill set to offer.

9. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/pro...immigrants-australia-canada-and-united-states

2006 If you can find something more recent, feel free to post it.

Australia's foreign born population:
    UK: 24%
    New Zealand: 9%
    China: 5%
    Italy: 5%
    Vietnam: 4%

Canada's foreign born population:
    UK: 9%
    China: 8%
    India: 7%
    Philippines: 5%
    Italy: 5%

USA foreign born population:
    Mexico: 29%
    India: 4%
    Philippines: 4%
    China: 4%
    Vietnam: 3%

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

"Greater Quebec."

metatron likes this.
  11. Valka D'Ur

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Quebec is a province of Canada. Period.

12. Arwon

Arwon

What's the point of quoting the top 5 countries of origin that comprise each country's foreign born population? That omits over 50% of the foreign-born people in each country, and a compositional breakdown within the foreign-born population also obscures the very different levels of migration involved (ie, the foreign born population in Canada and Australia is like twice as proportionately large as the USA).

I'm not sure the claim that "the USA has proportionally far fewer migrants than Canada" should be a controversial one, it's a fairly basic statistical point.

At any rate, in terms of recent figures, here's the largest components of each country's foreign born population presented as a share of the total population:

2016 Census Australia (every country of birth forming over 0.5% of the population):

Australia 66.7% (or 73.3% if you include all the "not stated" as Australian born)
    Country of Birth Not stated 6.9%
    England 3.9%
    Born elsewhere 2.8%
    New Zealand 2.2%
    China 2.2%
    India 1.9%
    Philippines 1.0%
    Vietnam 0.9%
    Italy 0.7%
    South Africa 0.7%
    Malaysia 0.6%
    Scotland 0.5%

Remainder: 11.7%

2016 Census Bureau USA (every country of birth over 0.3% of the population, this source doesn't give any "not stated" component)

USA 86.5%
    Mexico 3.6%
    India 0.8%
    China 0.7%
    Philippines 0.6%
    El Salvador 0.4%
    Vietnam 0.4%
    Cuba 0.4%
    Dominican Republic 0.3%
    South Korea 0.3%

Remainder: 6.0%

And 2016 Census Canada (over 0.5%, also not clear if there's a "not stated" share or how it's treated)

Canada 76.1%
    China 2.2%
    India 2.1%
    Philippines 1.8%
    United Kingdom 1.5%
    United States 1.0%
    Italy 0.7%
    Hong Kong 0.6%
    Pakistan 0.6%
    Viet Nam 0.5%
    Germany 0.5%
    Iran 0.5%

Remainder: 11.8%

(Also a fun fact: there's 86k Americans and 43k Canadians in Australia, 783k Canadians and 93k Australians in the USA, and 338k Americans and 31k Australians in Canada)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  13. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Traitorfish, don't drag my province (and nation - sorry Valka) into your argument with Valka over the name of our country (hers and mine, I mean. Not yours.).

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

From my POV I see immigration as an integral part of what Canada is about. So I think it's important as a Canadian citizen to be educated about the subject of immigration, refugees, etc. And even if Canada wasn't such a country, immigration happens everywhere, and you can probably expect some degree of refugees to almost any western country every year.. so do it right, and hold your government accountable to figure out a proper way forward

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Pfft, for now.

metatron and Ajidica like this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

Seriously, wtf are you even talking about? :huh: @Evie has requested that you drop this. She and I have our own ongoing disagreements that we will probably never reconcile, but we do try to remain civil about it.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Canada opens doors to Irish while other countries close theirs
    Australia, New Zealand and US are tightening immigration. Canada is doing the opposite
    Mon, Feb 12, 2018, 11:23 Updated: Mon, Feb 12, 2018, 13:47
    Hugo O’Doherty

‘Irish citizens are in a particularly privileged position when it comes to planning a move to Canada.’ Photograph: iStock/Getty Images

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...-while-other-countries-close-theirs-1.3389284

19. Valka D'Ur

Kellie Leitch is a disgusting racist, and I'm relieved that most of the Reformacons didn't vote for her. She was (and probably still is) a Trump groupie and harbored some serious delusions about what she would do "when I become Prime Minister."

20. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Warlord

Fair enough. :)