Is it OK to play pace mods with CBP?

zeta

Mod Addict
Hey,

Probably should have posted this question in mods compatibility thread but maybe developers are the only ones knowing this?

I've been interested in trying Historic Eras (or was it Historic Pace), which increases science to Marathon pace but production etc. stays at standard pace. This encourages more action in every era and makes them more enjoyable. My only concern is: will it mess up with CBP? Not sure if it uses DLL files.

I think it may have a problem with the Corporation tech (as it's added by CBP), which may keep its basic value (depending on how the mod is implemented).

I have done something similar myself :
I play in Epic speed but have modified the XML file changing the tech base costs :
The file is :
MODS\(2) Community Balance Patch\Balance Changes\Tech\TechCostChanges.sql
Here is what I changed it to :
-- Change Tech Costs (from CEP):

UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 40 WHERE GridX = 1; -----50----35
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 80 WHERE GridX = 2; -----75----55
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 200 WHERE GridX = 3; ----125---105
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 400 WHERE GridX = 4; ----225---175
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 800 WHERE GridX = 5; ----325---275
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 2000 WHERE GridX = 6; ----625---485
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3000 WHERE GridX = 7; ----825---780
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 4000 WHERE GridX = 8; ---1300--1150
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 6000 WHERE GridX = 9; ---1800--1600
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 8000 WHERE GridX = 10; ---2400--2350
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 11000 WHERE GridX = 11; ---3200--3100
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 14000 WHERE GridX = 12; ---4400--4100
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 19000 WHERE GridX = 13; ---5400--5100
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 25000 WHERE GridX = 14; ---6600--6400
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 32000 WHERE GridX = 15; ---7800--7700
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 40000 WHERE GridX = 16; ---9000--8800
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 50000 WHERE GridX = 17; --10000--9500
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 60000 WHERE GridX = 18; --11000--NEW!
the "Cost = 50000" are the new costs, the "--10000" is tyhe usual cost as per CBP, the "--9500" is the vanilla cost.
Those costs are then multiplied by the gamespeed modifier and all things like that.
You shouldn't put something much higher than 60,000 (at least if you play in Epic), as higher numbers (or at least 100,000 in Epic) are not handled correctly by the game engine (you get an overflow and the cost become negative).

If you use this method, don't forget to go in the coporation tech fiel to change it as well :
MODS\(2) Community Balance Patch\Modular Elements\Corporations\CorpTech.xml
7th line. I replaced the cost with : "<Cost>11000</Cost>", as it seems to match with the previous table.

The thing is I don't usually play with Corporations on. That eliminates this problem, doesn't it?

But thanks for tip :) Next game I'll play with Corps I'll remember your reply.

Hey tompliss,

I think an ideal game for me would be Epic pace with standard production etc. Could you teach how to do that? :)

I think there is a file with the list of the normal/epic/marathon multipliers (separated for prod, policies, and tech, I think), but I couldn't find it. :/

I think so.

But I don't play for the victory. I usually deactivate all the victory conditions (except when I forget), because I'm not here to wait for the game to tell me that I won :p
In my previous game (using the quoted tech settings), I was Influential with every civ when I was only in early modern era and them in Industrial.
Another side note : I had the policy trees unlocked earlier than they "should", thanks to the "full tree unlock" condition.

Out of curiosity for people who play this kind of mod, doesn't that make science victory much harder?

It actually doesn't. It just encourages more action per turn (means there is less next turn clicking all over again; you may actually build something more often). Also, this makes wars more interesting and progressive. Units are coming frequently. Also, this makes the game more realistic, at least for me.

I actually managed to make my own pace mod. Epic research speed with standard production. I'll post it in the near future, so you can try it yourself.

It actually doesn't. It just encourages more action per turn (means there is less next turn clicking all over again; you may actually build something more often). Also, this makes wars more interesting and progressive. Units are coming frequently. Also, this makes the game more realistic, at least for me.

I actually managed to make my own pace mod. Epic research speed with standard production. I'll post it in the near future, so you can try it yourself.
How so? I mean, doesn't it take longer to reach the tech necessary to build the spaceship parts, compared to everything else? Which would mean spaceship victory would be more difficult to achieve, compared to any other.

Difference between epic and standard isn't that big that it would make much longer to achieve science victory. Besides, science victory is the easiest one anyways, at least for me.

Note: faster building = faster science buildings and tile improvements = usable science early. So, to sum it up, it doesn't take so much longer to build your space rocket.

To be clear the reason I'm asking this is because I actually like the idea of science taking longer. Seems more realistic.

Although if we were to go with realism, tech would have to be skewed in a way that ancient technology takes longer to research than modern tech, I suppose. But that wouldn't be good gameplay-wise.

To be clear the reason I'm asking this is because I actually like the idea of science taking longer. Seems more realistic.

Although if we were to go with realism, tech would have to be skewed in a way that ancient technology takes longer to research than modern tech, I suppose. But that wouldn't be good gameplay-wise.

Doable, with at least twice the number of ancient techs :p

Okay, here is my first version of my "epic science pace, standard production" mod. Basically, I tweaked "Longer Eras - Historic" mod to be compatible with CBP and changed values from marathon science pace (original pace of that mod) to epic. Everything should work, but please tell me if you notice something strange. Please keep in mind that this is a beta version.

I also made the same changes as Chuck Findley did to his mod:

-Moves "Convert Production into Wealth" to the beginning of tech tree so you are not forced to make a large amount of units
-Increases Wealth and Science research to 50% of cities production (was 25%)
-Increases Happiness of all buildings that supply flat Happiness by (1) with the exception of buildings that provide a Unhappiness Modifier (The Smithsonian and Prora unchanged).
-Decreases the AI's want for building settlers so that they don't cover the map in bases due to not having anything else to build in the longer eras.
-Increases Religious costs for several units/buildings so you don't become overrun with missionaries (both yours and theirs) and keeps everyone honest with the ability to buy great people with faith.

If you think the AI creates far too few settlers (expanding is slow), please tell me so I can change some flavors.

Requirements:
1. Latest full CBP version

Installation and playing:
1. Drop Longer Eras - Historic (CBP Compatible) (v 1) folder into /Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS path.
2. Activate the mod.
3. Choose Historic pace through Advanced Setup.
4. Have fun.

Uninstalling:
1. If you want to completely uninstall this mod, just delete the folder you installed.
2. IMPORTANT! Please deactivate or uninstall completely if you don't want to play with Historic pace. Otherwise all happiness, faith, etc. values tweaked specifically for this pace will remain.

Credits to Chuck Findley, the creator of Longer Eras - Historic.

Attachments

• Longer Eras - Historic (CBP Compatible) (v 1).rar
    2.6 KB · Views: 152
A few days away from finishing my current game, but I'll def try this out during my next one. Should I change the game speed to epic, or leave it on standard?

-Moves "Convert Production into Wealth" to the beginning of tech tree so you are not forced to make a large amount of units
-Increases Wealth and Science research to 50% of cities production (was 25%)
I think the whole point of longer eras is to make a large amount of units and just fight with your long-lasting units.

Although, I don't know why you would increase wealth and science research to 50% of production in the early era. It might seem strong, but for my personal mod, I made the processes extremely weak in the early eras and powerful in the later eras from 10% research off production to 75% research off production.

I think the whole point of longer eras is to make a large amount of units and just fight with your long-lasting units.

Although, I don't know why you would increase wealth and science research to 50% of production in the early era. It might seem strong, but for my personal mod, I made the processes extremely weak in the early eras and powerful in the later eras from 10% research off production to 75% research off production.

I'll see how current version work out and then shall see what to do about those :) Convert to Science is stronger so science victory wouldn't be as hard to achieve. Although if it still is, I might tweak science buildings or wonders to produce more science.

I only followed what Chuck did (wealth and science are untouched in CBP anyway). So, we will see how this all syncs with CBP and tweak things after. :)

New version of my new pace mod (v2).

Changes:
- Name of the mod changed to "Longer Eras - Advanced", so it would be more original
- New pace now called "Advanced". Choose that in advanced settings
- Increased the AI's want for building settlers a little
- Decreased Wealth and Science research to 40% of cities production (was 50%). This might work on Epic science rate a little better, since Findley's values were intended for Marathon science pace.

Known issues:
- Years are usually messed up with this kind of mods. Can't do anything about that. But I suppose most of us don't care about that? :)

Requirements:
1. Latest FULL CBP version (betas not recommended, since I work only on full releases)

Installation and playing:
1. Drop Longer Eras - Historic (CBP Compatible) (v 1) folder into /Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS path.
2. Activate the mod.
3. Choose Historic pace through Advanced Setup.
4. Have fun.

Uninstalling:
1. If you want to completely uninstall this mod, just delete the folder you installed.
2. IMPORTANT! Please deactivate or uninstall completely if you don't want to play with Historic pace. Otherwise all happiness, faith, etc. values tweaked specifically for this pace will remain.

Credits to Chuck Findley, the creator of Longer Eras - Historic.

Attachments

• Longer Eras - Advanced (CBP compatible) (v 2).rar
    2.6 KB · Views: 147
Playing a game with this mod and the 3/1 version of cbp I believe. Really loving the experience, and consider this to be an essential mod for me going forward. I have run into a bug though, not sure if it's from this mod or if it was an issue with that version of cbp, but 1 turn after I force my opponent into capitulation, they demand their independence, as opposed to having to wait the 50 turns and fulfilling the requirements like they're supposed to. Have you experienced the same?

Edit- it's the 2/26 version, not 3/1

Playing a game with this mod and the 3/1 version of cbp I believe. Really loving the experience, and consider this to be an essential mod for me going forward. I have run into a bug though, not sure if it's from this mod or if it was an issue with that version of cbp, but 1 turn after I force my opponent into capitulation, they demand their independence, as opposed to having to wait the 50 turns and fulfilling the requirements like they're supposed to. Have you experienced the same?

Edit- it's the 2/26 version, not 3/1

Please report this to the Vassals thread for Putmalk.

G

Top Bottom