Is it okay to enjoy someone else's death?

Is it okay to celebrate a death?

• Yes, it is acceptable no matter the victim

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • Yes, but only if they killed lots of people

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Yes, but not for an extended period of time

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • No, a life is a life

Votes: 42 41.2%

• Total voters
Most Americans don't want justice as much as they do retribution. This is why we continue to support capital punishment, have more people behind bars than any other country, and even condone the assassination of world leaders and their family members. Many even supported the torture and murder of completely innocent people, and they still don't think the people responsible should be held accountable for those acts.

I saw one Norwegian commentator mention that this sort of celebration might be more accepted in the US than in Europe. I don't know. Any opinions about that?

Well the US was the worst effected by Osama.. and they do tend to be loud and offensive?

Most Americans don't want justice as much as they do retribution. This is why we continue to support capital punishment, have more people behind bars than any other country, and even condone the assassination of world leaders and their family members. Many even supported the torture and murder of completely innocent people, and they still don't think the people responsible should be held accountable for those acts.

That is because of the direct result from a lack of power of the International Court system to oversee any cases of extrajudicial murder, especially against powerful and yet, politically oppressive regimes such as United States in a international scale.

I saw one Norwegian commentator mention that this sort of celebration might be more accepted in the US than in Europe. I don't know. Any opinions about that?

I have no idea why that would be. Assuming this is correct (I don't necessarily agree that it is, I truly have not thought about it) perhaps the collective memory of the US does not have as much death and destruction in it, unlike Europe which was basically flattened only a few generations ago, and so we have a more naive cultural attitude towards death and revenge. Or perhaps we have more of a jingoist streak that makes eschewing critical thinking about celebrating death easier. I have no idea.

Was there this kind of celebrating when news about Hitler's death broke? I would assume that somewhere in Europe, people were celebrating. People are people no matter where they are from.

Europe is mostly more liberal, that is probably the most major factor.

has any European here ever chanted there own country's name or is that an american thing as well?

En-ger-land footy fans. We lose most of the time though.

sport events are different :p i should have probably said that :lol: any chanting in a non-sporting event?

Well, no then.

Of course it is, if the person deserves it.

No, it doesn't make sense to.

While generally I don't want to celebrate someone's death considering that this was someone's son or someone's brother.

But then again it was Osama Bin Laden, who planned attacks that killed people who had nothing to do with his vendetta against the US.

So I'm mixed on my reaction. I'd rather we fix the mechanisms that lead to the creation of Osama Bin Laden so another one doesn't pop up.

Also, he supported Arsenal, but I like Arsenal so I am confused.

sport events are different :p i should have probably said that :lol: any chanting in a non-sporting event?

I don't understand this exception. People respond to the thrill of competition and adrenal oomph of tribal identity. What role do sports (particularly team sports) play in human sociology except as a substitute for ongoing tribal warfare between neighbors? It's triggering the same latent human impulses--this is why English fans mob up and murder the occasional opponent sports fan. This is why American sports fans run riot after a championship victory and set cars and department stores on fire.

It's rarely the losing side doing this, by the by. The tribal celebration of victory gets their blood boiling and they go out and wreak havoc as if they were Visigoths looting an Ostrogoth village. This is an essential component of the human character--it probably helped us to survive at some point in history and needs to managed still this day by social controls.

So a victory in war means little more to a celebrating crowd than a victory in footy. We need to do this; we were born to do this. The only difference with last night's celebration is that getting a win against this particular Other seemed like a real accomplishment, regardless of how little an impact it will have in the actual progress and eventual petering out of the US imperial mission in western Asia.

Arsenal play in red, same as the evil empire.

No, never. Even the destruction of someoe's cherished property is something to be saddened by.

I think all who hate OBL should be pretty sad becouse right now according to OBLs beliefs he is having enormous and endles afterparty with Allah and all that His infinite grace can supply.

No, never. Even the destruction of someoe's cherished property is something to be saddened by.
i have never thought of my life a a piece of my property

I think all who hate OBL should be pretty sad becouse right now according to OBLs beliefs he is having enormous and endles afterparty with Allah and all that His infinite grace can supply.
that assumes he is right (which i would like to doubt)

So a victory in war means little more to a celebrating crowd than a victory in footy. We need to do this; we were born to do this. The only difference with last night's celebration is that getting a win against this particular Other seemed like a real accomplishment, regardless of how little an impact it will have in the actual progress and eventual petering out of the US imperial mission in western Asia.
I think I'll always remember the crew of the USS Vincennes cheering after thinking they had shot down the world's dumbest F-14 pilot, instead of actually killing 290 innocent people. 35 seconds in...

And no, I don't think it is necessary at all. It shows a decided lack of professionalism.

Top Bottom