1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Alex53, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvestmoon

Harvestmoon Chieftain

So let me cut away all this dross and get to the point of your post:

You DO sit around drawing little infantry boxes for a Civ V "war journal" in which you anticipate the actions of a ******** AI so you won't "forget" what you're doing in between sessions.
    Holy god, dude, I've never seen anything like this. You just made my day, especially with the way you puffed yourself all up for the response.
    Moderator Action: Don't troll other people.

2. Harvestmoon

Harvestmoon Chieftain

PS: The thing that gets me isn't that you keep a friggin' "war journal" or whatever you call it, it's that you put it in a powerpoint document, and it's all illustrated and all jazzed up to look a bit like the Civ V interface... freakin' CLASSIC, man.
    I thought you were a bit of a stuffy jerk, but now... whew... you're my favorite.
    Moderator Action: Insults are not allowed in this forum.

3. esemjay

esemjay Prince

Um... Thanks? I think that you may have missed the part of the post where I said it was my job- and in civ, it's practice. If you opened it, you would also note that the symbology is all groups. Maybe you didn't know, but powerpoint is considered a... Wait for it... Communication Technology, and is utilized extensively for intelligence products. In other words... It is relevant practice in several ways to both my job and my education.

The "pretty" factor is because I can recognize it at a glance, and because.. Frankly.. Why not? I have the knowledge and profiency to do it in fifteen minutes.

Again, nice try at insulting me; but when it comes to this subject, you will find that you cannot. You just don't know enough about what I do for a living.

4. Smote

Smote Emperor

Hahahaha. That is beautiful. I'm glad you are getting so much enjoyment out of this!

I make similar plans against AI, though I don't name them OPFor, and I don't name my operations or my forts, or make amazing tactical art projects. That's awesome! I do make military plans as you mentioned, and it feels excellent when everything goes according to plan! Of course, sometimes unexpected militia arrive out of the city :lol:

5. Deussu

Deussu The Omniscient

I thought esemjay's presentation was actually a nifty one. Considering the styling (yes, I read it till the end) and overall it did have a certain professionalism attached to it. I doubt it's much use in Civilization 5, but as practice it's good. Also I like how I, as an outsider reader, can understand the situation and all the little things tied to the upcoming combat.

Esemjay, have you played Hearts of Iron? I reckon it to be a pretty good war game. A chap like yourself might enjoy it. I certainly didn't, but I'm more of the twitchy guys who like FPS and dance games.

6. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

For what it's worth, I thought it was a very cool Power Point :goodjob:

If nothing else, it inspired me to make a simple snapshot and label where the other Civ's capitals are when going for Dominiation victory.

It also makes perfect sense to utilize one of your hobbies to reinforce material that you are studying in University.

7. masonryan

masonryan Chieftain

I agree this guy is like a charecter off the movie dinner for smucks what a peice of work.

Moderator Action: Please don't insult other posters.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

8. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

I don't know why people are jumping all over esemjay for his war journal. How is this hurting anyone exactly?

9. blind biker

blind biker King

It isn't, you are right.

Incidently, could someone please convert that pptx file into a PDF or Open Document Presentation, as I don't have the latest Office on my home computer.

10. esemjay

esemjay Prince

I got you, boss. It'll be up in a minute. It's up.

Attached Files:

11. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I haven't played it, but these types of things (Try for yourself and see) are the kinds of people you should listen too. The haters who just say "CiV sucks, 1UPT sucks!" Without even trying it, well, IMO they aren't even worth listening too.

12. esemjay

esemjay Prince

The internet is full of people waiting to start flaming. I more-than-likely made a few people upset earlier in this or another thread, and now they're using a file I uploaded as a way to "get back at me," I suspect.

That would explain why the immediate flame I got was about the fact that I made the file pretty, not that the actual content of the product was incorrect or inaccurate. Truthfully, the paratrooper/fighter/bomber symbologies** are incorrect- because frankly, they're hard to make accurate and still aesthetically pleasing.

** If you are thinking, "Wait, Symbology? That's not a word." I had the same thought. It really is a word, and in practice it generally means the use and study of symbols from maps and charts.

13. blind biker

blind biker King

That's awfully kind of you. My thanks.

How come you didn't use strategy view for your invasion planning? Seems like a much more natural choice, for such tactical planning.

14. esemjay

esemjay Prince

I did in Civ4... but after a while, my view would get crowded. I can't have multiple strategy layers, so it could end up being one big jumble on my screen- and this gives me the opportunity to practice a skillset.

EDIT: In Civ4, I limited what I used on the Strategy Layer to simply mark specific things I wanted to take out. Oil supplies, aluminum, etc.

15. BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice Chieftain

I am appalled, by the intolerance and arrogance of some members in these forums. Somehow this isn't the spirit of this place how I remembered it to be in Civ IV days.

This forum is called CivFANATICS! So, what esemjay is doing, seems to fit in quite well here. I wouldn't do it myself (I lack the skill, motivation and time), but I respect it and even take a considerable amount of joy by seeing what other players do and how they do it. That is the reason for the existence of these forums! Please note that some very highly valued members of the Civ IV community could also be mocked for doing very nerdy things like posting hours of youtube videos or playing live streams with other players watching... Nobody would even consider to do so.

If this game has a chance to become better (which I hope and believe), it depends to a significant amount on the creativity and insistency of the community. Let's try to be constructive.

Regards,

Buford

16. maccool

maccool Chieftain

Title really covers my opinion. I don't buy till the demo convinces me. All the failures that you see in some extensive posts (check out the posts by Sulla) are apparent in the demo.

Maybe, eventually, there will be a revamp of Civ 5, with a rebuilt demo, that might catch my attention. I'm back here every month or so looking for some progress. This will probably change to quarterly checks soon. At this point, given how the first patch went, I'm probably looking for Civ 6 or a different game that will make me happy.

17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Openoffice >>>>> MS word garbage.

And yes, civ V is that bad right now. MP is shot beyond ruin until they fix "can't move after end turn" (what, it's only closing on half a year and this can't be managed?!). Both MP and SP are shot in terms of fluid UI. SP has lots of basic gameplay balance issues too.................and most people with RECOMMENDED specs can't run this game well on all of its setting. How about *honest* recommended specs? I know honesty about coding isn't coming.

We have like half a game RIGHT NOW, and it's been a number of months since release. If you don't realize just how broken MP is you don't know how to play civ MP games; right now the optimal (and only competitive) approach is to NEVER end turn before the turn timer expires and to do your best to double-move people at war because the code does absolutely 0 to mitigate it. At least in RTS games, fast clicks are built into the strategy. In Civ V, the winner is often decided by patience, fast hands, and connection, and not strategy. You want to tell me this is a complete game? Review the definition of "TBS" and try again.

18. SingASong

SingASong Chieftain

Just close the thread. Close the thread. Close thread. Close.
    Moderator Action: Public discussion of moderator actions is not allowed.
    If you have a problem with an action or want to note something, then use the private message system.

19. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I agree, the thread basically is just a flame between "I didn't like ciV, neither will you." and "Try it for yourself and see.".

20. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

It looks like it was. The person has not posted since his/her last outburst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.