Is it really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How civil.

This was a fairly unexpected response from someone who so proudly advertised their education with a literary degree. I guess I should remind you that, as I said before, I am actively seeking degrees at two universities: Communications Technologies and Intelligence Operations. This is basically my way of practicing both.

It's also interesting that you seem to think that the AI in Civ5 is far too simple for it to be a worthwhile game... yet at the same time, object to the idea that someone can recognize patterns in the way the AI behaves. That's beside the point, however.

I think it's only fair to inform you that the product I provided is my job. Since, last time we had a conversation, you basically accused me of being uneducated, unmotivated, and then told me that it's my fault you are presumptuous; and you cannot argue that you are presumptuous. After all of those assumptions, you are still making assumptions about me.

As far as my pedanticity is concerned- I think certain persons would tend to disagree. Maybe you can't imagine doing it, but that doesn't make it any less realistic than me not being able to picture myself getting a "lit degree."

So let me cut away all this dross and get to the point of your post:

You DO sit around drawing little infantry boxes for a Civ V "war journal" in which you anticipate the actions of a ******ed AI so you won't "forget" what you're doing in between sessions.
Holy god, dude, I've never seen anything like this. You just made my day, especially with the way you puffed yourself all up for the response.
Moderator Action: Don't troll other people.

PS: The thing that gets me isn't that you keep a friggin' "war journal" or whatever you call it, it's that you put it in a powerpoint document, and it's all illustrated and all jazzed up to look a bit like the Civ V interface... freakin' CLASSIC, man.
I thought you were a bit of a stuffy jerk, but now... whew... you're my favorite.
Moderator Action: Insults are not allowed in this forum.

So let me cut away all this dross and get to the point of your post:

You DO sit around drawing little infantry boxes for a Civ V "war journal" in which you anticipate the actions of a ******ed AI so you won't "forget" what you're doing in between sessions.
Holy god, dude, I've never seen anything like this. You just made my day, especially with the way you puffed yourself all up for the response.

Um... Thanks? I think that you may have missed the part of the post where I said it was my job- and in civ, it's practice. If you opened it, you would also note that the symbology is all groups. Maybe you didn't know, but powerpoint is considered a... Wait for it... Communication Technology, and is utilized extensively for intelligence products. In other words... It is relevant practice in several ways to both my job and my education.

The "pretty" factor is because I can recognize it at a glance, and because.. Frankly.. Why not? I have the knowledge and profiency to do it in fifteen minutes.

Again, nice try at insulting me; but when it comes to this subject, you will find that you cannot. You just don't know enough about what I do for a living.

I have a notepad that I use to keep my information in line. It lets me play the game, walk away, and come back with some kind of continuity. Here is an example of the one that I was keeping during my game where I considered France to be the most likely target for hostilities.

In the interest of keeping the file small, I got rid of some of the information and left only what was relevant to who I considered to be the biggest threat.

It's in ZIP format to allow me to upload it... inside the ZIP file is a PPTX (Power Point) file. It lets me avoid over-analyzing a turn for too long. Maybe you'll get some use out of it.

Hahahaha. That is beautiful. I'm glad you are getting so much enjoyment out of this!

I make similar plans against AI, though I don't name them OPFor, and I don't name my operations or my forts, or make amazing tactical art projects. That's awesome! I do make military plans as you mentioned, and it feels excellent when everything goes according to plan! Of course, sometimes unexpected militia arrive out of the city :lol:

I thought esemjay's presentation was actually a nifty one. Considering the styling (yes, I read it till the end) and overall it did have a certain professionalism attached to it. I doubt it's much use in Civilization 5, but as practice it's good. Also I like how I, as an outsider reader, can understand the situation and all the little things tied to the upcoming combat.

Esemjay, have you played Hearts of Iron? I reckon it to be a pretty good war game. A chap like yourself might enjoy it. I certainly didn't, but I'm more of the twitchy guys who like FPS and dance games.

It's in ZIP format to allow me to upload it... inside the ZIP file is a PPTX (Power Point) file. It lets me avoid over-analyzing a turn for too long. Maybe you'll get some use out of it.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a very cool Power Point :goodjob:

If nothing else, it inspired me to make a simple snapshot and label where the other Civ's capitals are when going for Dominiation victory.

It also makes perfect sense to utilize one of your hobbies to reinforce material that you are studying in University.

PS: The thing that gets me isn't that you keep a friggin' "war journal" or whatever you call it, it's that you put it in a powerpoint document, and it's all illustrated and all jazzed up to look a bit like the Civ V interface... freakin' CLASSIC, man.
I thought you were a bit of a stuffy jerk, but now... whew... you're my favorite.

I agree this guy is like a charecter off the movie dinner for smucks what a peice of work.

Moderator Action: Please don't insult other posters.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I don't know why people are jumping all over esemjay for his war journal. How is this hurting anyone exactly?

I don't know why people are jumping all over esemjay for his war journal. How is this hurting anyone exactly?

It isn't, you are right.

Incidently, could someone please convert that pptx file into a PDF or Open Document Presentation, as I don't have the latest Office on my home computer.

It isn't, you are right.

Incidently, could someone please convert that pptx file into a PDF or Open Document Presentation, as I don't have the latest Office on my home computer.

I got you, boss. It'll be up in a minute. It's up.

Attachments

• Strategy Notepad (alt).zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 71
Just keep in mind that the demo is only 100 turns. You'll probably enjoy the demo quite a bit - I know I did - and you'd probably even enjoy the game for a while. Heck, you might enjoy it for months or years, but some of us did not.

You're the only one who can know if it will have long-term appeal for you personally, but in my own experience, Civ 5 is the first game in the franchise that did not provide much replayability for me. It was fun for a while, but the fairly shallow gameplay didn't keep me interested beyond a month or two. If a month or two is all you expect from a Civilization game, you won't be disappointed. I had hoped this one would keep me engaged for years like previous titles did, and sadly, it hasn't lived up to those precedents. :sad:

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

I haven't played it, but these types of things (Try for yourself and see) are the kinds of people you should listen too. The haters who just say "CiV sucks, 1UPT sucks!" Without even trying it, well, IMO they aren't even worth listening too.

The internet is full of people waiting to start flaming. I more-than-likely made a few people upset earlier in this or another thread, and now they're using a file I uploaded as a way to "get back at me," I suspect.

That would explain why the immediate flame I got was about the fact that I made the file pretty, not that the actual content of the product was incorrect or inaccurate. Truthfully, the paratrooper/fighter/bomber symbologies** are incorrect- because frankly, they're hard to make accurate and still aesthetically pleasing.

** If you are thinking, "Wait, Symbology? That's not a word." I had the same thought. It really is a word, and in practice it generally means the use and study of symbols from maps and charts.

I got you, boss. It'll be up in a minute. It's up.

That's awfully kind of you. My thanks.

How come you didn't use strategy view for your invasion planning? Seems like a much more natural choice, for such tactical planning.

That's awfully kind of you. My thanks.

How come you didn't use strategy view for your invasion planning? Seems like a much more natural choice, for such tactical planning.

I did in Civ4... but after a while, my view would get crowded. I can't have multiple strategy layers, so it could end up being one big jumble on my screen- and this gives me the opportunity to practice a skillset.

EDIT: In Civ4, I limited what I used on the Strategy Layer to simply mark specific things I wanted to take out. Oil supplies, aluminum, etc.

I am appalled, by the intolerance and arrogance of some members in these forums. Somehow this isn't the spirit of this place how I remembered it to be in Civ IV days.

This forum is called CivFANATICS! So, what esemjay is doing, seems to fit in quite well here. I wouldn't do it myself (I lack the skill, motivation and time), but I respect it and even take a considerable amount of joy by seeing what other players do and how they do it. That is the reason for the existence of these forums! Please note that some very highly valued members of the Civ IV community could also be mocked for doing very nerdy things like posting hours of youtube videos or playing live streams with other players watching... Nobody would even consider to do so.

If this game has a chance to become better (which I hope and believe), it depends to a significant amount on the creativity and insistency of the community. Let's try to be constructive.

Regards,

Buford

Title really covers my opinion. I don't buy till the demo convinces me. All the failures that you see in some extensive posts (check out the posts by Sulla) are apparent in the demo.

Maybe, eventually, there will be a revamp of Civ 5, with a rebuilt demo, that might catch my attention. I'm back here every month or so looking for some progress. This will probably change to quarterly checks soon. At this point, given how the first patch went, I'm probably looking for Civ 6 or a different game that will make me happy.

It isn't, you are right.

Openoffice >>>>> MS word garbage.

And yes, civ V is that bad right now. MP is shot beyond ruin until they fix "can't move after end turn" (what, it's only closing on half a year and this can't be managed?!). Both MP and SP are shot in terms of fluid UI. SP has lots of basic gameplay balance issues too.................and most people with RECOMMENDED specs can't run this game well on all of its setting. How about *honest* recommended specs? I know honesty about coding isn't coming.

We have like half a game RIGHT NOW, and it's been a number of months since release. If you don't realize just how broken MP is you don't know how to play civ MP games; right now the optimal (and only competitive) approach is to NEVER end turn before the turn timer expires and to do your best to double-move people at war because the code does absolutely 0 to mitigate it. At least in RTS games, fast clicks are built into the strategy. In Civ V, the winner is often decided by patience, fast hands, and connection, and not strategy. You want to tell me this is a complete game? Review the definition of "TBS" and try again.

Moderator Action: The arguing ends now.

Just close the thread. Close the thread. Close thread. Close.
Moderator Action: Public discussion of moderator actions is not allowed.
If you have a problem with an action or want to note something, then use the private message system.

@JohnnyW Your industriousness and perseverance awe and frighten me. I sure as fudge wouldn't have the patience and work ethic necessary to create such posts, with quotes from various posts and respective explanations and connective text.

I just hope your effort isn't all in vain.

It looks like it was. The person has not posted since his/her last outburst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom