• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Is this gossip about the AI true?

Belfran

Chieftain
In the single player game will the AI always aim for space victory? Won't it try for cultural, or diplomatic?

BetterAI

Using this mod the AI will attempt other types of victories (and has had its overall gameplay improved to the point that it can succeed too). If you're using 2.08 Warlords, then you've already gotten an early version of the mod installed (one in which the AI doesn't focus on other victory types).

The AI is coded to pursue space race, nothing else. I think this is because the game developers were a little lazy and said to themselfs : " How to make the AI acheive a cultural victory? There isn't any absolutely essencial tech for that. Humm... And diplomatic? Even worse... let's stay with space race, we only have to tell the AI to pursue rocketry and some other late techs and to not trade them....How about going to the coffee shop to rest a little?"

I think thats a little unfair lol. I would have thought in a game like this programing the AI to win is very difficult as there is no set structure or list of activities that will work every time.

Actually the AI is not coded to win at all. It will not win by Conquest or Domination because it sucks in warfare and will not win by Culture because it randomly assigns all builds and will not hesitate to build the Heremitage in a city with a culture output of 0.
It can win the Diplomatic condition by accident if it gets enough votes, but sucks at diplomacy as well so that this happens rarely.
Thus the only victory types open to it are Time - which is inevitable if the human does not gain first place in score and Space. Space is a victory where the AI just has to research all techs and build some projects. Now the projects get build at some point and the research is completed as well, but again there is no overall plan, it just stumbles to victory...

The AI is coded to pursue space race, nothing else. I think this is because the game developers were a little lazy and said to themselfs : " How to make the AI acheive a cultural victory? There isn't any absolutely essencial tech for that. Humm... And diplomatic? Even worse... let's stay with space race, we only have to tell the AI to pursue rocketry and some other late techs and to not trade them....How about going to the coffee shop to rest a little?"

You can lower the target for the cultural victory can't you?. Reason I ask is with such few cities in play, it wasn't like CIv3 were the AI could spring up a hundred cultural farms in its 20-40 cities then, before you realized your being hoplessly outpaced, your were already knocked out by the cultural race.

It makes more sence with CIv4 emphisis on mini-me world sizes and penaltys on early to even mid game expansion, that the space race be the only real choice for the AI to consider

If the AI is coded to win by space race, what happens when you turn OFF space race as one of the victorys?

If the AI is coded to win by space race, what happens when you turn OFF space race as one of the victorys?
The AI might stumble by acident in another type of victory, but it won't pursue it

Its being updated in BtS IIR.

I really hope so.

I think thats a little unfair lol. I would have thought in a game like this programing the AI to win is very difficult as there is no set structure or list of activities that will work every time.

I didn't mean to be unfair with the developers of the game. I know enough programming to know that is hard to teach a computer, and the victory types in civ4 are hard to decompose in recipe that a computer could follow. For an example: to acheive domination ( the simpler victory type, after time and space race ) you have to conquer an X% of the land area of the world and have an Y% of the world population. And how to acheive it? REX? Early rush? Cultural conquest? Medieval war? Do you vassal or not? That kind of stuff must be thinked and somehow coded into the AI algorythm., and that means time and money not earned by the Firaxis's bosses. My point is that the game developers team probably had done things like this because it didn't had time or orders for that.

what if i disable space race?
I did this in one game I played--in fact, I disabled all victory options except conquest, and I also loaded the game with (mostly) aggressive leaders. (This was for the game I used as the basis for my Princes of the Universe stories.)

I can't say for sure, but the AI did seem to behave differently as a result. The aggressive leaders seemed even more prone than usual to pick on the few non-aggressive ones, and they seemed to raze enemy cities more often than they usually do.

I did this in one game I played--in fact, I disabled all victory options except conquest, and I also loaded the game with (mostly) aggressive leaders. (This was for the game I used as the basis for my Princes of the Universe stories.)

I can't say for sure, but the AI did seem to behave differently as a result. The aggressive leaders seemed even more prone than usual to pick on the few non-aggressive ones, and they seemed to raze enemy cities more often than they usually do.

I don't want to know ( yet :p ) the end of "Princes of the Universe" ,but did you get to the time where you could expect a spaceship race ( post Rocketry)? The few "reports" that I read in the forums about say that the major diference in behavior when the space victory is off is that the AI don't try to build space parts ( they aren't so dumb as they look like sometimes :lol: ).

P.S Keep on with the "Princes of the Universe". You are a talented writer :goodjob: and you have a godgiven gift to transform a tedious turn in 2 or 3 pages of good plot and reading

Actually the AI is not coded to win at all. It will not win by Conquest or Domination because it sucks in warfare and will not win by Culture because it randomly assigns all builds and will not hesitate to build the Heremitage in a city with a culture output of 0.
It can win the Diplomatic condition by accident if it gets enough votes, but sucks at diplomacy as well so that this happens rarely.
Thus the only victory types open to it are Time - which is inevitable if the human does not gain first place in score and Space. Space is a victory where the AI just has to research all techs and build some projects. Now the projects get build at some point and the research is completed as well, but again there is no overall plan, it just stumbles to victory...
The main reason the AI can't win Conquest or Domination is because once the human player is eliminated, the game ends.

I don't want to know ( yet :p ) the end of "Princes of the Universe" ,but did you get to the time where you could expect a spaceship race ( post Rocketry)? The few "reports" that I read in the forums about say that the major diference in behavior when the space victory is off is that the AI don't try to build space parts ( they aren't so dumb as they look like sometimes :lol: ).

P.S Keep on with the "Princes of the Universe". You are a talented writer :goodjob: and you have a godgiven gift to transform a tedious turn in 2 or 3 pages of good plot and reading
Thanks for the compliment!

I honestly don't remember where everyone was in techs at the end of that game. I'd have to go back to the screenshots and look. I do know that I made it to Rocketry, but the options to build anything spaceship related were greyed out. So I don't think the AI's being especially smart there; with a space win disabled, so are spaceship-related builds.

In the new expansion thats coming out soon, Will AI go after different victories?

Its being updated in BtS IIR.

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but what does the IIR stand for? I just came back to the forum after being gone a month or two and had to research the BtS abbreviation, and this is the first time with IIR.....

IIR--if i remember

but you might want to double check that as im also a noob. theres a list of common acronyms in here somewhere.

IIR--if i remember

but you might want to double check that as im also a noob. theres a list of common acronyms in here somewhere.
I just assumed you'd left the C off of IIRC ("If I Recall Correctly").

In the new expansion thats coming out soon, Will AI go after different victories?

Details have not yet been released. If the AI improvements are base on the BlakeAI then the AI will persue different victory types.

It's by far the easiest way to win for an AI, and therefore, if you want the AI to be challenging, better have it focus at Space Race. I rather have that then a sucky AI trying to conquer the world and failing miserably.

Maybe Cultural could be another option that can be programmed, but if you look at the way the AI wages war, they can't even defend themselves properly.

Top Bottom