Islamic Military Alliance

Zkribbler

Deity
Saudi Arabia announces 34-state Islamic military alliance against terrorism

Saudi Arabia on Tuesday announced the formation of a 34-state Islamic military coalition to combat terrorism, according to a joint statement published on state news agency SPA.

"The countries here mentioned have decided on the formation of a military alliance led by Saudi Arabia to fight terrorism, with a joint operations center based in Riyadh to coordinate and support military operations," the statement said.

A long list of Arab countries such as Egypt, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, together with Islamic countries Turkey, Malaysia, Pakistan and Gulf Arab and African states were mentioned.

The announcement cited "a duty to protect the Islamic nation from the evils of all terrorist groups and organizations whatever their sect and name which wreak death and corruption on earth and aim to terrorize the innocent."

Shi'ite Muslim Iran, Sunni Saudi Arabia's arch rival for influence in the Arab world, was absent from the states named as participants, as proxy conflicts between the two regional powers rage from Syria to Yemen.

The United States has been increasingly outspoken about its view that Gulf Arab states should do more to aid the military campaign against the Islamic State militant group based in Iraq and Syria.

In a rare press conference, 30-year-old deputy crown prince and Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman told reporters on Tuesday that the campaign would "coordinate" efforts to fight terrorism in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt and Afghanistan, but offered few concrete indications of how military efforts might proceed.

"There will be international coordination with major powers and international organizations ... in terms of operations in Syria and Iraq. We can't undertake these operations without coordinating with legitimacy in this place and the international community," bin Salman said without elaborating.

Asked if the new alliance would focus just on Islamic State, bin Salman said it would confront not only that group but "any terrorist organization that appears in front of us."

Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Arab neighbors have been locked in nine months of warfare with Iran-allied rebels in neighboring Yemen, launching hundreds of air strikes there.

Especially after a rash of attacks on Western targets claimed by Islamic State in recent months, the United States has increasingly said it thinks that firepower would better be used against IS.

As a ceasefire is set to take hold in Yemen on Tuesday alongside United Nations-backed peace talks, Riyadh's announcement may signal a desire to shift its attention back toward the conflicts north of its borders.

Islamic State has pledged to overthrow the monarchies of the Gulf and have mounted a series of attacks on Shi'ite Muslim mosques and security forces in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

While bigots like Trump fan the flames of a Christian-Islamic Holy War, cooler heads realize the conflict today is one of civilization vs. barbarianism. The Saudi's new alliance marries the wealth of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates with the manpower of Egypt, Pakistan and Indonesia. It shall be a most powerful force.

Some good may come out of this, but I'm not expecting much. Saudi Arabia is too much part of the problem to be part of the solution, and Turkey seems more interested in fighting the Kurds and getting cheap oil from ISIS.

Sunni military alliance vs shia?

"We joined in this military alliance against terrorism and Iran didnt. We are the good guys who fight terrorism and Iran is evil and the true terrorist". Or maybe Saudi Arabia is looking for a way to enter in Syria, dont know. Thinking the worst usually works particullarly when we are speaking about the Middle East.

Saudi Arabia is a afraid of Iran. And they have millennia conflict and tensions into the mix. But if their coalition is going to be fighting terrorism, it will be fighting terrorism that the Saudi royal family set in motion, not anything the Iranians were behind.

Yep, i doubt the real target is to fight terrorism because that very reason.

Think of Islamic militant extremism as Frankenstein's monster. The Saudi royal family plays Dr Frankenstein.

I hear today that someone's managed to identify 1500 separate groups in Syria. All armed. And all busy fighting each other in a perpetual state of changing alliances.

Whoopdeedoo! Sounds like fun. Especially for arms manufacturers.

That's actually a problem throughout the Arabic world, and in Afghanistan and Pakistan as well. And much of Africa also. Primary loyalties are to the tribe, not to the nation. The national identity, as such, doesn't exist. Or exists only to a secondary importance.

Iraq, Iran and Syria are not islamic now? Oh they are fighting againist actually Islamic State, I have forgotten.

CNN ran a news story recently "War on ISIS: Why Arab states aren't doing more" that discussed why many Arab states were either not doing very much or were being selective about who they focused their anti-terrorism efforts on.

This "34-state Islamic military alliance against terrorism" efforts sounds like it has the potential to help but in the end the proof will be in the pudding.
Jordan announced and then launched a series of military attacks after one of its pilots was burned alive in a cage. Those enhanced efforts were impressive for a country of Jordan's size but they were short term.

Whether they do indeed focus their efforts against "any terrorist organization that appears in front of us" (rather than selectively based on Shia/Sunni considerations); whether they can get the members of the alliance to commit miltary assets to this effort in a credible manner; whether they can turn this into "a most powerful force" all remains to be seen.

Ugh. Whether we do the bombing or they do the bombing the result is the same: "lateral" progress on terrorism, aka wack a mole. Saudi Arabia's foray into Yemen should give people pause on their ability to actually create stability.

Considering the worst of the terrorist groups sprung from Wahhabism, which is actively funded and promoted by the Saudi royal family, you'll have to excuse my skepticism. If I see them actually doing anything then I can be persuaded to come around, but put up or shut up.

Considering the worst of the terrorist groups sprung from Wahhabism, which is actively funded and promoted by the Saudi royal family, you'll have to excuse my skepticism. If I see them actually doing anything then I can be persuaded to come around, but put up or shut up.

Yeah I have to agree. You could ultimately blame oil money for how Islamic fundamentalism became so popular since the latter half of the 20th century. Before the 20th century, much of the Islamic world was actually more liberal and progressive than it was currently. For example, the Ottoman Empire legalized homosexuality in 1858 (at the time, it was only France and a few small European countries that kept Napoleon's laws), and women in the Islamic world were envied by European women for having MORE rights and freedom. N

Wahhabism, in constrast, was an ideology confined to isolated desert nomads between the 18-20th centuries. Then wahhabi's set up saudi arabia and got filthy rich from all the oil underneath and was able fund the spread of their backwards ideology across the Islamic world. The Saudis are ultimately the root cause of this whole mess since decades ago and unless if THEY fundamentally reform internally, nothing is going to change.

Top Bottom