• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How do we cheer up the English?

You have EIGHT kinds of coins?

We've got... toonies, loonies, 50-cent pieces (almost nobody but collectors has those), quarters, dimes, and nickels.

We've got... toonies, loonies, 50-cent pieces (almost nobody but collectors has those), quarters, dimes, and nickels.
No, they are the UK coins.
We do have him on our Australian money but forget that boofhead*, you would be far more interested in our penguin series. :)
p1.png
p2.png

For other penguin coins Google: Australian coins penguin
* A boofhead is the big lump on someone's shoulders where the nonsense comes out of.

Last edited:
No, they are the UK coins.
We do have him on our Australian money but forget that boofhead*, you would be far more interested in our penguin series. :)
View attachment 688041View attachment 688042

For other penguin coins Google: Australian coins penguin
* A boofhead is the big lump on someone's shoulders where the nonsense comes out of.
Oh, I like those coins! :love: :love: :love:

We've got polar bears, loons, elk, and beaver on our coins. Plus a sailboat, and I don't remember what's on the 50-cent piece as it's been so many years since I last had one.

1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and the £2.

1p and 2p colloquially known as "coppers" for obvious reasons, and 5p through 50p "silver" because we're inventive as mud :D

The one pound used to just be a gold colour but was redesigned when they came up with the £2 I think.

I for one would love it if all the British people on our money were exchanged with animals and/or inanimate objects.

It seems inefficient to mint new money each time a British royal dies. It hasn't happened that often these last couple decades, but hey, we've just been lucky. Plus, who knows what these people have been doing while nobody's watching? Can't trust em. But polar bears? We know exactly what they do every day.

1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and the £2.

1p and 2p colloquially known as "coppers" for obvious reasons, and 5p through 50p "silver" because we're inventive as mud :D

The one pound used to just be a gold colour but was redesigned when they came up with the £2 I think.
I just realized that the standard joke we have about the toonie is going to take on a bit of a different mental image (equally unwelcome and just as :ack: ):

People used to describe the toonie as "the Queen on one side with a bear behind."

Now imagine that applying to Charles, as King... as I said, both are :ack: and I don't like to imagine them. But someone thought it was clever however many years ago.

We used to use pennies, but they're not even legal tender anymore, as far as I know. Though you can still turn them in at the bank. They have maple leaves on them.

I for one would love it if all the British people on our money were exchanged with animals and/or inanimate objects.

It seems inefficient to mint new money each time a British royal dies. It hasn't happened that often these last couple decades, but hey, we've just been lucky. Plus, who knows what these people have been doing while nobody's watching?
Rupert Murdoch's myrmidons are always watching.

It seems inefficient to mint new money each time a British royal dies. It hasn't happened that often these last couple decades, but hey, we've just been lucky.
The last time we had to change the monarch on the money was in 1952. It's been awhile.

It is not as if all coins with QEII are being invalidated at a particular date.

Coins wear out and need to be replaced.

The dies on which coins are stuck also need to be replaced.

So the replacement die has a different image on it.

And coins cast from that new die are different to those cast from previous dies.

These days digital images can be transposed into machine cutting tools.

I suspect that it is not dissimilar to having a particular picture put on a T shirt.

Takes more time to agree on the particular picture, than for the manufacturer to do it.

And how very much does that all cost.

In the future, everyone will be royal for fifteen minutes.

In the future, every President will be a Trump.

Where in the UK can you see the Monday 8 April solar eclipse?​

On TV, live from Dallas, Texas.

It is not as if all coins with QEII are being invalidated at a particular date.

Coins wear out and need to be replaced.

The dies on which coins are stuck also need to be replaced.

So the replacement die has a different image on it.

And coins cast from that new die are different to those cast from previous dies.

These days digital images can be transposed into machine cutting tools.

I suspect that it is not dissimilar to having a particular picture put on a T shirt.

Takes more time to agree on the particular picture, than for the manufacturer to do it.

And how very much does that all cost.
I'm talking about the monarch, not the different variations of the same monarch. I'm well aware that the Queen's image was updated every so often, on the coins, bills, and stamps.

Facts and logic. I was always a big fan of those. Sounds like the royals can be replaced once a week though. Let's get on that
It happens every 6 months in the SCA. Win a Crown Tournament and you get to be royal for a short time. It's a bit stressful, though, if you're the King/Queen of a kingdom that spans both Canada and the U.S. and have to come up with a very good reason why you're not only bringing swords, crowns, and maybe archery equipment into Canada, but also fancy thrones, and you're absolutely not intending to sell them.

In the future, every President will be a Trump.

Where in the UK can you see the Monday 8 April solar eclipse?​

On TV, live from Dallas, Texas.
At least people are interested in the eclipse because it's an eclipse. Here, there's a lot of fearmongering going on that the rapture is going to happen on Monday.

I'm just curious as to how much I can actually see here. It's a partial in this region of the country, but the Sun is in the perfect position at that time of day. I don't have to leave this room to get whatever view I can manage (of course I know not to actually look at the Sun).

I'm talking about the monarch, not the different variations of the same monarch. I'm well aware that the Queen's image was updated every so often, on the coins, bills, and stamps.

Well I was really replying to Warpus.

Anyway what Canada has on its coins, bills and stamps is Canada's decision.

Nothing to do with us on this island, any more.

Well I was really replying to Warpus.

Anyway what Canada has on its coins, bills and stamps is Canada's decision.

Nothing to do with us on this island, any more.
Is there a point to this snarkiness? :huh:

You didn't make it clear that you were replying to warpus, and I'm just making conversation about Canadian money and stamps. Do forgive me. :huh: :huh:

It seems inefficient to mint new money each time a British royal dies. It hasn't happened that often these last couple decades, but hey, we've just been lucky. Plus, who knows what these people have been doing while nobody's watching? Can't trust em. But polar bears? We know exactly what they do every day.
Well there's obviously no requirement to mint additional new money. The old coins aren't going to be invalidated any time soon.

Well there's obviously no requirement to mint additional new money. The old coins aren't going to be invalidated any time soon.
No requirement, but you would not believe the issues that some people use to pick political points.

Think we are down to 5 coins.

10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2.

Used to have 1c,2c and 5c coins. 1 and 2c disappeared around the same time $1 and $2 notes.

Top Bottom