JanBoruta's Map and Icon Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm new on CivFanatics but not to the games and I made an account to compliment how talented you are making icons and maps. Also I know your a busy guy but it would be awesome to see you work on making icons and maps for the Republic of Texas.

Attachments

• texassoldiers.jpg
    texassoldiers.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 493
@jan.. zrobiłeś kawał znakomitej roboty za firaxis..:)

Oprócz tego, że zrobiłem ją też dla siebie ;)

Hey I'm new on CivFanatics but not to the games and I made an account to compliment how talented you are making icons and maps. Also I know your a busy guy but it would be awesome to see you work on making icons and maps for the Republic of Texas.

As much as I'd like to do that, I can't at the moment. My map and icon list to-do is a bit too big now, and I still need to carve out time for my paid commissions. Maybe in the future, though!

Tak z ciekawości, ile zajmuje Ci tak średnio zrobienie jednej ikony?

Zamierzam użyć Teutonic Knighta i Trihemiola w moim modzie. Mam nadzieję, że się nie obrazisz jak amatorsko przemaluję krzyż na czerwony?

Jakbyś nie był zajęty to bym "zamówił" więcej. ;) Świetna robota.

Tak z ciekawości, ile zajmuje Ci tak średnio zrobienie jednej ikony?

Zwykle 2-4 godziny, czasem 5 (zależy jak często obijam się w internetach podczas pracy :p)

Zamierzam użyć Teutonic Knighta i Trihemiola w moim modzie. Mam nadzieję, że się nie obrazisz jak amatorsko przemaluję krzyż na czerwony?

Bez problemu :)

Jakbyś nie był zajęty to bym "zamówił" więcej. ;) Świetna robota.

Dzięki! Niestety oprócz dość dużej listy ikon i mapek do zrobienia mam jeszcze "normalne" zamówienia, więc raczej ciężko by było zrobić coś więcej do civki w najbliższych tygodniach... jeszcze zobaczymy :)

Moderator Action: Please, do not start discussions in other languages than English, thanks.

Reminder:
The forum is an English language forum
Threads must be posted in English. If you need to post a short phrase in another language, provide an English translation with it. If it is found that you have posted something in a language other than English which breaks the rules (eg. the bad language rule, or flaming), you will be infracted for it.

your way too good for firaxis, this art is way better than theirs...

Just wanted to ask how do you do your icons, do you draw the lines out on paper, then use a scanner and then put the outline in photoshop and then paint them??

Or is it all Photoshop?

It's all painted digitally - I'm using a graphic tablet. I usually trace over photographs (this method is used almost exclusively for buildings, for obvious reasons), make composite base images out of various sources or paint everything from scratch (units).

I'm glad you like my work. :) This reminds that I should update this thread with all the new art I've done in the meantime, but it's dozens of icons and maps, it will take a long time to compile everything into neat packages to limit the image count displayed on the site. ._.

I really like how Firaxis your work looks, both in terms of style and quality. If your work were in the actual game it wouldn't feel at all out of place with the other stuff.

I really like how Firaxis your work looks, both in terms of style and quality. If your work were in the actual game it wouldn't feel at all out of place with the other stuff.

it's better actually, firaxis doesn't redo their old work of art that looks out of place with BNW, look at the icon of harun-al-rashid,
+ compare the icon of bismarck with JB's stalin, you can't see the iron cross on bismarck and his clothes look way too smart blurred, Stalin's has detail and you can see the star on his jacket

but firaxis has gotten better, you can see the change from Russia's plain red, orange and white map to indonesia, or assyria's map, plus they have also started using plants, like the pine cones, acorns in their maps. etc

The art style of original (even pre-expansion) game was already very, very good. Excellent even. Some maps and icons were worse, some were better - as usual. I think I liked the maps in Gods and Kings the most - they were very detailed and pretty accurate, with very well balanced colours and flavour elements like drawings, post stamps, seals, labels etc. Flowers and other very distinct elements appeared in vanilla maps too, like in the Indian and Aztec maps, but this idea was mostly used in Brave New World maps.

I'm glad you like my work, but there's no need to depreciate the work the artists hired by Firaxis have done. They made me enchanted in the game's art style from the day I bought it and played for the first time. Agreed with Wodhann (and thanks for appreciation!) - I try to fit as much as I can into the official style of icons and such. Incidentally, it helped me develop my own style as a painter.

About my tablet: I'm using Wacom Intuos4, A6 size (smallest, so it fits on my desk; or: I couldn't afford a bigger one at the time).

thanks for the info!!

firaxis has very good icons now, maybe the software they use now wasn't available in 2008 or 09,
they have excellent icons, such as Maria I, Ashurbanipal, Casimir etc.

but yes, your artwork fits right in perfectly

So what have you been working on nowadays?

Lots of mod stuff, some will come out in the following weeks, I think. I don't think I should publish those art assets too soon.

But apart from that I'm working on some commissioned illustrations and am contributing some similar to Civ mods art for a new game called Worlds of Magic.

This artwork is absolutely stunning! I was wondering how many of these community-made civs had such professional looking artwork, and seems, that you just make it all :p

So I have a humble request...
It would be awesome, if you wanted to make a few icons for my new civ, South Africa.

You can just pm me if you want to help :)

About my tablet: I'm using Wacom Intuos4, A6 size (smallest, so it fits on my desk; or: I couldn't afford a bigger one at the time).
BamBoo CTE-450 here... and i must state the truth - of being soooooo envious of your incredible talent.

Art is such a fantastic thing, Firaxis designers create great works and if you look closely at times you may find that the sky is still blue behind these pastel clouds of magenta waves. :)

Oh, man the Icons and Maps you do are amazingly simple and yet permeates my acute sensitivities about what is magical results by fellow artists.
I draw, paint, pixels and oil - and never can get enough of it all. 3D was a revolution to me.

Click any links in my sig below for some stuff i've made for the CFC community.

Once we start, we just can't stop. Aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom