Japan sucession game

In addition, starting in this go-round, all players will play in the patched format, 1.17.

I have to say, the last few turns were the most enjoyable for me so far in the game. War brings that out in a militaristic civ. :goodjob:

Welcome Dygig! :D

Ok, I'll play in an hour or 2. I just finished a domination victory with the Japanese civ in a solo game I'm playing. :)

Dygig, what time zone are you in?

The reason I ask is it may effect turn rotation. I'm in Pacific Standard Time, so it makes sense for me to go after Sulla and Chieftess, who are Eastern Standard Time.

If you're lucky enough to like live in Hawaii, which is even later than me, you may want to go after me so you're not playing at midnight. (Not that I'd mind going later if I lived in Hawaii! Just send me the plane tickets.)

I'm done. :)
Summary coming soon. That was *ONE SUCCESSFUL ROUND!!!!!*

I walked all over the Babylonians!

1140 AD - (Inherited Turn) As the Sino-Babylonian war rages on, a new empress takes power, Masako-hime. It is Princess Masako's destiny that she rid the land of the Babylonians, so that future Nihonjin may have rich lands on which to live. In this case, the grass certainly is greener on the other side!

Spearman in Edo was upgraded to Pike-men, and a galley was rushed, as well as the barracks in Akkad. Uruk changed from Spearmen to rushed barracks. Babylon also rushed a barrack. Ur changed to barracks - will rush once resistance has ended. The Babylonian empire will soon be our base of operations. Also pushed tech down for more gold - so we can rush things.

This is the start of "Operation Homelands". (note the plural)

1150 AD - (1)

Uruk and Ur are in disorder. Troop movement.

1160 AD - (2)

Resistances are being quelled as we speak! The road to Lagash is complete!

1170 AD - (3)

A few minor, victorious skirmishes

1180 AD - (4)

America demanded education. Not wanting another battle, we gave in, for now. Lagash tries to attack our samurai, but is unsuccessful and makes the samurai elite! Lagash is ours! Samarra is ours!

1190 AD - (5)

The Babylonians come crying for a peace treaty. Wanting to give up no more than 2 cities, we tell them "All your base are belong to us!". They follow suit by slaying a samurai with a knight! Our troops and reinforcements are all over Babylonian territory!

1200 AD - (6)

Nineveh and Ellipi are ours! Southern Babylonia is now under our control!

1210 AD - (7)

Babylonia continues its' feeble "Send one unit down per turn" strategy. Reinforcements are still streaming in, and the invasion of Northern Babylonia is about to begin!

1220 AD - (8)

!! No units from Babylon! Attack of Ashur begins. We have a great leader, Tojo! Tojo hurries to Nineveh to build an army! Tojo's army is ready! Ashur falls!

1230 AD - (9)

Babylonian units in fright of Tojo's army, and do not attack ! JS Bach's Cathedral is built!

1240 AD - (10)

Tojo's army hurts a Babylonian archer as it tries to pass! Our lucky 1 HP samurai captures Nippur! Next stop, Eridu!

1250 AD - (11)

Kyoto building the Heroic Epic. Done in 7 turns! Our northern border pushes back the American border do to cultural expansion. Eridu is ours, including several workers who entered the city in the previous turn!

1255 AD - (12)

The Babylonians are literally avoiding our armies! Kish is now under attack. No sign of activity from other civs. Is there a global depression going on?

1260 AD - (13)

Kish falls! Babylon's newest capital, Shuruppak, is under siege! Another hero, Hirohito, arises fighting Shuruppak.

1265 AD - (14)

Shuruppak falls!

1270 AD - (15)

Nara and Izumo switched to cultural improvements to try and entice Hamadan to join.

1275 AD - (16)

Sippar falls! Zariqum falls! The rest of Babylon's cities are to the north, but India's territories block it. We have signed a peace treaty with India, and hopefully, we can sign a RoP agreement.

In yet another brilliant diplomatic move, the Babylonian cities of Khorsabad, Zamua, Larsa, and Izibia have been "bought" for peace! Babylon is down to two remaining cities!

1280 AD - (17)

The Zulus have responded, asking for territory maps. They are cautious, as expected. Workers working.

1285 AD - (18)

Troop Movement. Workers working.

1290 AD - (19)

We have learned Gunpowder! Research set towards magnetism for quicker sea routes.
Osaka is building Copernicus's Obesvatory. Heroic Epic will be complete in 2 turns. Nagoya builds a catapult under the Empress's nose. Those builders will be hearing from the Imperial Palace any day now.

1295 AD - (20)

Troop movement. Workers Working.
After a 155 year reign, a successful war and diplomacy campaign, the house of Masako is about to change hands.

(more images coming)

Our newly conquered lands...

Attachments

• newland.jpg
    newland.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 188
(one more after this one)

Our temporary "Border Patrol". Use at your leisure.

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    381.5 KB · Views: 189
BUILD UP THESE CITIES PRONTO!!!! :D

Attachments

• north.gif
    north.gif
    443.4 KB · Views: 184
Ok, any ideas of who to attack next?

If we attack America, I say we create ships in the eastern part of our empire to carry troops to the north and north-east curve, while the west part (the western side of the west region) will do the same, but for the south-central region of America. we can also attack from our border, thus attacking from 3 sides.

Plus, we're considered strong against everyone! Let's keep those samurai rolling! (but, we need to be thinking about other techs and new units).

BTW, Babylon is building the Forbidden Palace (recently started). Should it be further north?

Sulla looked out over the progress of the Japanese armies from a distant mountaintop. The samurai he built had done their job, and done it well. Babylon lay in ruins, its population vastly reduced, and its lands in the hands of the victorious Japanese. And Sulla was pleased with the work his successors had done.

:king:

But there were other things Sulla was not pleased with. While one or two barracks are necessary for healing soldiers in an overseas war, it appears as though the late shogun had decided to rush many barracks all over the former Babylonian Empire, a measure costly and largely unnecessary. While a strong military is always to be desired above most everything else, Sulla saw the current Japan as a nation out of control. With 47(!) samurai, there was no need to produce more of the glorious warriors, yet many were still in production. Furthermore, the enormous armies of the Japanese Republic were draining the treasury at a prohibitive rate. Sulla shook his head at the lack of foresight that resulted in too much focus on the military at the cost of city development; it seems he may be forced to return to Japan once again to knock some sense into the silly Japanese people :hammer:

Okay, out of character. I'm impressed by our feats of arms - considering this is pre-modern warfare with no railroads and few roads, taking out all of Babylon in about 30 turns is extremely fast. I'm also impressed by the fact that we got two great leaders - not that we could control that because of luck. However, while we can't be conquered in the short run, I am more considered about the long-term consequences of the above-mentioned lack of city development. We have TOO many units!!!! They are draining a whopping 110 gold/turn, which is why we're only getting +3 gold at 20% science. We're not going to get much of any research done at that rate. Good news is that the computer is absolutely broke, so they're going nowhere fast as well. But we need to axe production of more military immediately and build some desperately needed improvements like libraries, marketplaces, etc. No more barracks needed either!!!!! :D

Another point: I think we wasted a great opportunity with the great leaders. The first great leader should always be used for an army - because then the Heroic Epic and Military Academy can be built. But then any other leader should only be used to form an army if there is NOTHING else to produce with it. In this case, the second one should have been used to rush a Forbidden Palace in the Babylonian territory, thus saving 200 turns and immediately bringing 10 or so corruption-free cities into usefulness. I know that Chieftess is learning in this game, so this is a good thing to take away: use those leaders either on wonders or moving of the palace/forbidden palace after you already have one! (We can always build more with the Military Academy)

Next order of business: where should the Forbidden Palace be? After looking at the map, I suggest putting it in Ashur, which would give us good production from Babylon and decent stuff from Persia, which I see as the next target (America is not dangerous, and so far away compared to Persia....) Check the screenshots above to see that we have no units in some of those new cities up in the north, and a Persian spearman next to one of them. When you have no units to defend, the AI will normally walk in and capture the city - I guess they can't resist the temptation any more than a human could :rolleyes: This presents a problem.

I suggest two options:

1) Rush spearmen in those vulnerable cities, destoying what's left of the gold we have. Go 0% science for a few turns to make up for it. Go into hardcore city development mode, turning the homeland into a model of efficiency (will take about 100 turns or so to do fully).

2) This is more risky, but could pay higher dividends. DON'T put a spearman in those cities. If the Persians attack and capture them, they get a worthless city. We can then prosecute a just war against them and steal some of their most productive cities with all those samurai just standing around (and those 2 armies of 3 elite samurai - not much is gonna stop those). If we get a great leader, we rush a Forbidden Palace and really save ourselves a hassel. Remove Persia, and we have a ****load of land and by far the highest score. Dangers include overextending ourselves and getting even further behind in culture/tech/city development.

We'll have to decide based on how dangerously we want to live. In any case, when we start city-building (whenever that is), I suggest going into despotism for 1 turn to rush a temple in every city just captured. That will save a ton of time and money, and we can do it since we're religious civ. With our high unit support costs, monarchy would probably be more productive government for the time being, until we get the Babylonian cities online as uncorrupted.

Wow, long post. You can see I have a lot of ideas on what to do next. Dygig will be up next, though I hope he will consider the suggestions of others as to what to do next! :goodjob:

I would go 0% science for some time, and start buying up advances. When we get copernicus (hopefully we'll get it) we can then ratchet it back up.

Don't forget Osaka, with Colossus. Keep it growing, keep it happy. Lotsa gold production there until flight.

Finally, build a harbor in the former babylonian continent. This will let the new cities bask in our other continent's luxuries; it will also allow us to sell the resources of the new continent to somebody else. Although the other civs don't have cash, they will have techs and resources to exchange. This will complement the 0 science strategy.

All hail Chieftess the conqueror! :)

hehe.. guess I got a bit carried away with the samurai. Well, it was my first middle ages battle victory in any civ game (1, 2 or 3). :)

Anyway, the techs are set to magnetism, so change it to Military Tradition. Also, rush the spearmen in Izipia, and contact that Persian unit next to it for a peace treaty. Then, I guess we could go with the depostism strategy or something...

(usually, my wars are unsuccessful, so that's why you see 47 samurai! :D)

As for the barracks, I was thinking that without them, we'd only have regular samurai, instead of veterans. (again, must've been my history of lack of success :crazyeyes: ).

Hmmm.... Dygig hasn't reponded in the last day or so. If he hasn't posted an intent to play before tonight, I will take a quick turn just to keep things moving. Also because I want to try and rearrange things more to my liking :D

hehe.. not again... the other SGs seem to be doing fine...

Just a question. When you were talking about infrastructure, what do you mean by infrastructure? roads covering every city square? (It seems whenever I did that - in Civ2 atleast, I lost. :))

Hey, don't count me out yet! With school, work, clubs, volunteer work, and one computer for four people I can only get on for so much at one time. I'm getting the file now. I'll play and get the summary up A.S.A.P. I'm sorry.

No problem Dygig - I'm just checking to make sure you're still here. We've had several others disappear on us, and I just want to keep the game moving at one turn a day, ar least. By all means go ahead with your turn - just post within the next 24 hours or so.

Chieftess: by infrastructure, I mean both things that appear on the world map like roads, railroads, irrigation, and mines (every square used by a city should have these eventually) and those developments within cities that make them productive like libraries, marketplaces, universities, banks, harbor on sea town, especially factories in industrial age, etc. Five uncorrupted cities with all this infrastructure built up are more useful than 20 without them. Our next priority will be to build a lot of this up in our cities.

The Rule of Dygig the Organizer
an autobiography

1295 AD
Kyoto builds Hero's Epic -- switches to University
Shimonoseki builds Samurai -- missed writing down
Fill-in-astu builds Library -- switches to Courthouse

1300 AD
Tax 100% Sci 0%
Disbanding of home guard begins

1305 AD
Revolt - Despotism
Babylon area switches to Temples
Persia gets Leonardo's Workshop (Our project leader is secretly executed for incompetence.)

1310 AD
Revolt - Monarchy (I unfortunately hit the wrong button.)
Babylon area Temples built

1315 AD
Revolt - Republic

1320 AD
Obtained Banking, 19 gold, & World Map for Incense (Persia)
Science priority changed to Economics
Obtained Navigation, World Map, & 30 gold for Gems (Zulus)
Obtained Printing Press for Dyes & Furs (France)
Four cities celebrate their Shogun

1325 AD
Sekigahara builds Library -- switches to Bank
Copernicus's Observitory is lost to the Americans (Our project leader fled the country before execution.)

1330 AD
Osaka switches to Magellan's Voyage
Ergili builds Barracks -- switches to Marketplace

1335 AD
More cities celebrate their glorious Shogun
Nara builds Samurai -- switches to Bank

1340 AD
Culture expansion in Babylon area
Edo builds Courthouse -- switches to Musketman
Nagoya builds Samurai -- switches to Bank
The Shogun's palace is remodled.

1345 AD