Japanese Samurai (Civ4)

Danrell (or others),

How do I incorporate your work into my mod? Which of Deliverator's tutorials should I look at, and what step(s) have you already done.

I have 0 experience with these more complicated graphics programs (and related items). I have GIMP and know how to use it, but... help????!?!?!?

Zen Blade,

Danrell provided the art already for the unit, which means using GIMP or Nexus or anything else is unnecessary.

My recommendation would be to download a file that provides the XML files and study them.

You need the following:

1. The Units xml
2. The UnitClasses xml (if you don't want the unit to be a unique unit)
3. The UnitArtDefines XML (this assigns the art to a unit)*
4. The UnitArtDefines_Members XML (these are the little guys that make up the unit)*
5. The actual artwork put into a folder in your mod
6. Text files so the unit has a name

* ArtDefines xmls aren't loaded into the database. You have to copy/paste the entire file into your mod, then edit it from there. You cannot <Update> or anything. You must use one file for every unit you're adding (cannot have two _member files for two different units).

Be sure to reload the unit database!

As I recommended before, download a unit and study how the author integrated the files into his mod.

There should really be a tutorial posted here on how to put unit graphics into a unit (not unit creation, but after downloading).

thanks putmalk,

I will see if I can figure out the incorporation. I already have my unit xml and unit classes (and most of the rest of the mod), but have the slightly different art for different units adds some flavor to the visuals.

I was looking for a longtime for the UnitArtdefines, and getting very frustrated. I'll see if I can make it work from one of the other mods.

thanks putmalk,

I will see if I can figure out the incorporation. I already have my unit xml and unit classes (and most of the rest of the mod), but have the slightly different art for different units adds some flavor to the visuals.

I was looking for a longtime for the UnitArtdefines, and getting very frustrated. I'll see if I can make it work from one of the other mods.

Some of the downloads already include it. Take it from there

All the art defines xmls are packed inside the art fpk. I briefly cover unpacking the vanilla art in this thread.

I'm having some trouble figuring out which files within the Samurai DL are equivalent to which files within the HouseCarl unit (by deliverator).

Within Samurai, there are:

--These appear to simply be JPEG files (not needed for my mod)

Samurai.fxsxml
Samurai.gr2
--These appear to be equivalent to the Housecarl a/b/c images (needed)

Samurai.blend
samurai_128
samurai_gloss_128
Samurai_old.blend
-These last four... I am not sure about although

Housecarl(1-3) and Housecarlgloss may be equivalent to
samurai_128 and samurai_gloss_128

Housecarl has a bunch of animation files, which are all "gr2" extensions... so, I might be able to use Samurai.gr2 as equivalents.

Anyone know if I have made the correct assumptions about the above files?
And what about the Samurai.blend and Samurai_old.blend?

thanks,
-Zen Blade

Samurai.blend
samurai_128
samurai_gloss_128
Samurai_old.blend
-These last four... I am not sure about although

Housecarl(1-3) and Housecarlgloss may be equivalent to
samurai_128 and samurai_gloss_128

Housecarl has a bunch of animation files, which are all "gr2" extensions... so, I might be able to use Samurai.gr2 as equivalents.

.blend files are Blender files only of use to other Unit modders - you shouldn't include them in your mod.

samurai_128.dds and samurai_gloss_128.dds are the texture files for the model and need to be included in the your mod.

This Samurai uses vanilla Civ 5 animations so you only need the gr2 from Danrell's download. The Housecarl had homemade animations which is why there are extra files.

You may find it easier to use my Redcoats rather than Housecarl as a base as they also use Civ 5 animations.

thanks deliverator.

Also,
if I wanted to create two types of samurai units... one using Civ 5 animations and one using the Civ IV animations (from Danrell)

That should be very easy, right? I just need to have the different Art_def_unit_xxx types? And everything else will fall into place.
I'll take a look at your redcoats.

thanks
-Zen Blade

OK, so, can I change any of the image/file names??? Or will that cause problems?

I want to maintain the normal Civ V images/animations for the normal default Samurai.
BUT,
I also want to introduce the Civ IV images (from Danrell) for the "special" Samurai.

At this point in time, it is not clear to me how the image files are accessed since none of the XML I have access to references any image files, but only XML files.

OK, so, can I change any of the image/file names??? Or will that cause problems?

The names of the .dds texture files are referenced from within the model .gr2 files. So you can rename the texture files, but you'll then need to change the .gr2 file using Indiestone NexusBuddy. I find this version of NexusBuddy the easiest to use for switching textures.

Since, paths don't matter in Civ 5 modding - you need to make sure that new art files all have different names that are also different to the vanilla asset names.

Top Bottom