JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

I see you suffer from the more civs syndrome(too much plans for too much time\over - collabration, it also has good effects, such as civ packs\awesome artwork).

Over collaboration, surprising civs, awesome artwork....
Yep, the more civ syndrome...

Perhaps I did underestimate how long it would be before the Germans could be released, but this is by no means a reflection on my (or Jan's) production of that civ itself. Like all of my civs, the turnover was very quick after getting the art done (which itself was graciously quick). But it is testimony to why I don't like working in or with a large team on something that I'm producing.

I wouldn't put blame on JFD, but on me overestimating the amount of time I have on art for his mods. Didn't have enough time to work on Civ stuff since mid-October.

You turned over art for everything needed for the Germans release very quickly, so the reason for the hold-up isn't yours to bear. I can be freely blamed for teasing the Germans too early - I was just made too keen by the concept, and thought the other components needed for the release wouldn't take so long. That it has has blunted my excitement for the Germans release a bit, because my attention is focused elsewhere now. So I won't be holding any releases accountable to third parties in the future, and I'll revert back to my regular method of keeping development relatively undisclosed; which generally seems to work better.

Played a bit as the Franks. Super awesome, especially since with full Honor, those Paladins are insanely useful at keeping your units healing up while making the siege engines, plus the Imperialistic trait is absolutely nuts for conquerors, what with Generals functionally replacing luxuries.

Ever so slight thing, the Carolignian Empire decision was able for me to enact even when I'd never conquered anything and only even had two cities. I didn't do that until I had indeed done conquest, and I'm pretty sure it gave the happiness to courthouses.

...also IMO there should probably be a bit...more to it? It's incredibly cheap for what in context is a very grandiose decision. Personally I think it should also cost a bit of Gold and/or Culture, and give...say, a bit of production for city connections? Or maybe reference the old Abbeys by giving some gold on Libraries? I dunno. Just something more potent but costly for a big announcement of 'no longer are we feudal raiders, we are an EMPIRE, and I am CAROLUS IMPERATOR AUGUSTUS'.

Didn't get far enough to test the March thing. I presume there shouldn't be problems with it, it seems rather simple! Also I made the Mausoleum and did not get cash money for prophet becoming social policy, which obviously I get why that is, since it's not actually making a prophet in the first place, but I just wanted to point that out whether it was a small oversight or something that is somewhat intentional or at the very least not objectionable. But yes, they are overall pretty cool. (maybe I say this more because I played on Quick this time and managed to get to the good stuff quickly. Quick is not kind to conquerors, though, which...is arguably a positive? Mitigates the effects of someone getting two capitals early on and being unarguably the dominant world power forever at the very least ^^)

I'll take your comments into consideration, and will have a look at why the decision requirements weren't working properly. Thanks for the report.

Question, could Bohemia interfere with Haiti? I played a game against Haiti and cities following their religion didn't become occupied and my lua log was filled with Bohemia code (even though they weren't there).

No, it wouldn't. The code in your Lua.log is benign; though I'll clean it up a little.

It is no problem whatsoever! Just do whatever works. If things are delayed, so be it! It matters little. This is after all a hobby of all yours that you share with everyone to play with. So don't be all down on issues with production!

JFD, it's not your fault for teasing too early; it's the fault of having an incompetent member on the team, i.e. me. I don't like to make promises, but I promise that the Germans will be released within a matter of days. Also, I apologise for failing everyone with delaying the Germans. Sorry guys. :/

It's not so much a fault of your production, as it is a disorganisation of getting all the individual pieces together (and that last minute addition :p), which has resulted in delays. No one's that caught up about it, so it's no real matter, but it's a characteristic of More Civs that I should've considered before teasing the Germans, and intend to avoid in the future.

I mean, this is all free awesome content you guys are releasing, so it would never cross my mind to complain... the Germans will come when they're ready, and that's just fine, it's not like we don't have five billion other modded civs to play with in the mean time !

I really don't think fault should play a role. This is free comment made by a few dozen talented individuals on the side of anything else they have in their lives.

Y'all are good.

I only use the word fault in this matter to indicate cause. I've no outstanding problem with the lateness of the Germans release, and if anyone did, that would be too bad for them. This is something I want to avoid in the future only because it complicates my time and effort, but that's not an issue here and now, and certainly not something for which Viregel should feel responsible, if he does.

Speaking of Germany though. oh man Hitler, that is...an experience. He makes Montezuma seem like a calm and respected diplomat, pretty much insta-denounce and hostile for no reason (though I quickly gave him reason by effectively surrounding his territory) and that war theme is just o.O very unusual but damn. Peace theme is pretty spooky too.

...And then I played as him because why not. I did not get very far because the most accessible civ to start the endless conquest was, in fact, Israel, just as it was long ago when I first tried, and also I was being dumb and using great people to explore and they got dead, and then track 7 of the CD soundtrack, Fatalist, was playing repeatedly...I think, it might've been another song in the middle because half of those also have Hitler's speeches in the background and it was around that point where it was just, oh god okay no

...okay the real tipping point was how my plan to GL rush to Iron Working was beaten by just 2 turns despite chopping trees like crazy (probably someone with the industrious trait, asdf Egypt has that and it's like, welp time to give up on ever building any wonder ever), but still it was pretty creepy.

You turned over art for everything needed for the Germans release very quickly, so the reason for the hold-up isn't yours to bear.

I think I was referencing other civs that could have come out in the meantime, but haven't because I'm not in the position to provide art for them. Especially Sardinia-Piedmont (and more Russias) - my school and work commitments prevent me from having both time and energy to focus on any Civ art before the Christmas break, at least on a bigger scale. I'll have a lot of catching up, so sorry everyone if I set your expectations up too high for the time being.

Peace theme is pretty spooky too.

and then track 7 of the CD soundtrack, Fatalist, was playing repeatedly...

Could listen all day to those, aren't they beautiful? :mischief:

I was just wondering, shouldn't Napoleon's UU be spelled Chevaux-Léger or Cheval-Léger instead of Chevau-Léger? (No idea if it's written that way intentionally or a misspelling of the French word for horse(s))

I was just wondering, shouldn't Napoleon's UU be spelled Chevaux-Léger or Cheval-Léger instead of Chevau-Léger? (No idea if it's written that way intentionally or a misspelling of the French word for horse(s))

Chevau-léger is okay. Plural is cheavu-légers, even though on its own, plural from cheval is indeed chevaux. A little peculiarity of the epoch. While this spelling might be outdated (and some dictionaries endorse using chevaux-léger), the old spelling seems to be recommended by the French Academy, the institution dedicated to preserving the French language.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevau-léger

"Ah, hello. I didn't see you there at first. I am Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of the Romans, King of Spain, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Archduke of Austria, Lord of the Netherlands, Count Palatine of Burgundy, and...well you get the idea. Oh, and King of Naples too."

your leader dialogue never ceases to be the best. the vanilla-vanilla civ leaders had nice personality going on but it seemed they lost the writing touch with the DLC and a lot of them come across as bland in diplomacy.

I...will need to think of amusing things for a certain monk khan to say.

"Ah, hello. I didn't see you there at first. I am Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of the Romans, King of Spain, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Archduke of Austria, Lord of the Netherlands, Count Palatine of Burgundy, and...well you get the idea. Oh, and King of Naples too."

your leader dialogue never ceases to be the best. the vanilla-vanilla civ leaders had nice personality going on but it seemed they lost the writing touch with the DLC and a lot of them come across as bland in diplomacy.

I...will need to think of amusing things for a certain monk khan to say.

Some of those from G&K are good...

"I hope you're happy with yourself now. All that silly posturing, and yet nothing to back it up it seems."
-Maria Theresa, upon defeating the Swiss Confederacy

"You are beginning to remind me of my second wife, and she was quite mad ..."
William of Orange, upon being offered Open Borders in return for a supply of Pearls.

"That's completely out of the question - what have you been drinking today?"
Dido, in response to a French offer to exchange embassies.

"Hmm ... I was too busy listening to your sonorous voice. Try that again."
Empress Theodora, upon being offered 12 Gold in return for Open Borders.

There is an amazing amount of diplo flavour text in the files. We really need a mod that unlocks it all so that it isn't just restricted to intros and defeats.

Top Bottom