1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jumping to Prince" SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Mar 16, 2006.

1. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

the one problem with early warfare is that you skip it because you have tons of things to build in your cities and "dont have time" to build army, and then u die=P

2. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

There's no problem with early warfare. It sounds like you're referencing a "Build a Holic" problem.

You do not need every building in every city.

Say we have 3 cities. All we need is 1 city with great production (say, mines, plains). Build a barracks, and make sure your pop is big enough to work all the mines. Let it pump out the military.

Your other two cities do other things. One may be a GPF. The other may be your commerce city. No point in building a barracks in those cities.

3. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

THIS is where i have a problem, too. I try to build a barracks, forges, factories/power bldgs, all sci and gold bldgs, and the health and happy ones...Yes, my name is Ron, and I am a Build-a-holic. Am also looking forward to grasping the finer points of MM. . .

4. JerichoHill

Well, specialization is a wonderful thing. I mean, hwat the point of building a library in a city that gets you 10 science? 2.5 more science? for how many shields? Man, I could've had 2 axemen and a sword instead! WARRRRR!!!

5. Lobsterboy

Lobsterboy Immature crustacean

Hi guys:

Sorry I'm late.

I'm agree...er...that is, move the warrior east, and depending on what turns up, move our settler east or settle in place.

I'm also not keen on a culture victory, but seeing as I've never tried for one, it might be instructive! Nevertheless, I agree with Jericho: no need to decide until we have a better lay of the land.

I also agree with the tech path: AH-> Fish -> Mining - > BW

I'm on the fence regarding Worker vs. Scout (I agree with Scout over Warrior). I usually wait to see how long it will take the city to expand vs. how it will take to produce each before making a decison. If the city will expand while cranking out an extra military/scout unit, that's usually the way I go, so the first worker won't take as long. If not, I'd produce the worker first. My logic may be faulty, but that just feels right intuitively to me.

I *love* early wars. Nothing so satisfying as taking out an early rival before they can hook up their copper/iron!

6. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

=P thanks for the tip.
    im playing a game in archplago (or whatever this kind of map named) and i have a city with 3 "Bread" and with water that supply 4 gold each thanks to my Expansive+Colosses, but it has no production=P i keep whipping it to finish stuff=\

7. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

played as Rome lately? ;)

8. JerichoHill

I hope that you're using it as a commerce city, and not a production city, and that you're only chopping/whipping to build a granary, lighthouse, harbor =)

About expansion to make the worker build go faster.

The build only goes faster if the new citizen works more than it consumes. Thus, growing just to have the citizen work a 2H2C coastal tile does nothing to speed up the development of the worker (though it will speed up reseach a bit). In order to speed development (while still growing) you'll need a forested grassland square.

--the game
    Unless there's another special rescoure besides the pigs, growing the city to size 2 (that provides more than 3HorF) wouldn't especially speed up production of the worker.

I don't think it matters too much. If you could get the worker out before AH, then the worker could road to the pigs, then ideally learn AH when he's on the pigs...

There's not set right or wrong for scout first or worker first. Or expanding to 2 before or after the worker.

That's what makes Civ so much fun. But our tech path is pretty much determined (I hope a goody hut pops us a tech)

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I'll be leaving work here in about 15-20 mins, and so will be able to play and post within a few hours.

I will check back here beforehand, but am going to go:
    Explore.
    Research: Husbandry>Fishing>Mining
    Build: Worker>Scout>Warrior ~ with more workers, and some work boats coming up next.

I think getting our food resources developed and connected earlier is a good enough trade-off for sacrificing our early growth. Ideally, in my head, our forest chops should propel Paris forward until we can take advantage of the whip and Paree's 3 food tiles!

10. Lobsterboy

Groovalicious! Looking forward to the start!

My dial-up connection from home has been somwhat dodgey lately, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from me until Monday. Since I'm currently fourth on the list, it's probably unlikely that my turn will come up before then. Hopefully my ISP has sorted out the problem.

Happy exploring!:D

11. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Done. Explored a bunch, I think we're alone, FWIW. Here's screens. Will post report and save after dinner . . . wife pulling ear . . . :(

edit: ear fine. our warrior is in the NW of the (sub?)continent, right be the horses and the "city" sign.

12. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Highlights
    4000: moved warrior E, NOTHING in that much discussed square, warrior would spend turns exploring.
    3840: Border pop @ Paris
    3800: GH-78g
    3400: Hinduism FIDL; warrior defended against wolf, 1 xp, no injuries
    3360: Jungle grows near Paris
    3320: GH-93g
    3280: Discover AH, Horses near Paris!; start on Fishing (9 turns)
    3240: Build worker, sent to pigs; warrior is started (no scout=no hunting :( )
    3200: Pasture started.
    3000: I think I went one too many, but 3000 is such a round number. the worker finished pigs this turn, so i changed prod in the city to that square (we went from pop2 in 11 turns, to pop2 in 4); he'll be ready to move next turn, perhaps to the horses, w/o the roads for now. Also, fishing comes in@2ts, our warrior @ 3ts.

I also checked out the Top 5 cities; we're not on there. Delhi, Berlin, Kyoto, Tenoch. & Moscow ~ plus there's 3 other AI's still out there.

The save is included.
    01: Pholkhero <-- PLAYED
    02: SpriteSODA <-- UP NEXT
    03: JerichoHill <-- ON DECK, w/careful notes to correct us Prince-noobs' mistakes
    04: LObsterboy
    05: SkunkDr

Also, as this is the weekend, i personally have more free time so maybe we could run through the roster once. However, depending on the way the saves are played out, it may not even matter since Lobster might not be able to get the save until monday, so we'll see...

edit: AND, neither marble nor stone so far ~ perhaps all the Oracle slingshot talk is moot?

13. Lobsterboy

Hmmm... Interesting start. Would have been nice to see a little more diversty - 7 sugar plantations?? I don't think I've ever seen so many of one resource in such a small area! Hopefully we'll find some more variety further east, as well as another civ. "Gilligan" starts are never as much fun as having company around!

14. MasterShake

MasterShake Goofy Boots

nothing like a sweat tooth:D

15. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

Got it.
    i think that we are at a nice penissula, so i think we should close it with our cultural borders and dont do any OB up until we finish it.
    will play in this hour.

16. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

0: Press ENTER =P

1: I order the Worker to connect the pigs with a road to Paris.
    2: Tech Finished - Fishing. Start researching Mining to get to BW.
    3: Buddisim FIDL. Our brave Warior found fish resource at the top of our peninsula:

4: :sleep:
    5: Warior done in Paris, set on Fortify. Start Working Boat to grab one of our Clams.
    6-7: :coffee:
    8: Pig got attached to Paris :cheers: . worker been sent to build a pesture for our hourses.
    9: a Panther attacks our Scouting Warior, and losses :) , Warior gets lvl up and upgraded to Woodsman I.
    10-11: :sleep:
    12: Mining done, start researching BW, due in 22 turns:undecide: .
    Another Panther attacks our Scouting Warior, but gets beated up.
    13: Paris's culture pops to size 3.
    14: Worker finished Pesture, now attaching it with a road to Paris.
    15: Work Boat is done, starting a Settler. Clam collected :goodjob:
    16-20: :sleep: .

In conclusion, BW will be done in 11 turns, Settler in 8.
    After the BW we must research Hunting and Archery, because Barbs will spawn soon and there is a very large unhabbitad space.
    Once BW will be done and the road to the Hourses will be finished too will will build some Chariots for defence against Barbs.
    My DotMap:

DotMap Index:
    Red: I think it should be our next city.
    Yellow: To grab the gems and dyes.
    Green: For the second hourses and sugar. we will have to build lots of farms there cus there is no food resource there..
    Blue: if we build the Colossus it will be a good commerance city.
    White & Purpule will be good Production cities, White looks better cus she can use one of the clams and got some grassland for food too.
    Purple wont grow...
    I dont think we can build both White and purple, so we have the dark-red as an optional replacement for purple.
    Orange is a Prod. city too.
    Everything is open, so dont only follow my DotMap. If you have better locations, be my guest.
    Roaster:
    01: Pholkhero
    02: SpriteSODA <-- Done.
    03: JerichoHill <-- Next. (15 turns)
    04: LObsterboy <-- On Deck. (10 turns)
    05: SkunkDr

17. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

And The Save(TM):

18. JerichoHill

Why did we not explore to our east?

Things are looking good.

I won't get to my turns until Sunday Afternoon. Here is what I am planning on doing.

We have 2 warriors? We need MORE! Settler production will be halted. When Bronze Working comes in, we can chop a plains near Paris to finish.
    Plus, I don't want to settle until we know if we have copper. If we do have copper, then that is where I will settle.

However I agree that Red Dot is by far the best place right now
    Do we have Archers? If not, this makes settling near copper that much more important.For barbarian control, we do not need chariots. We need archers fortified on forested hills, or axemen

19. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

Yes, by building a city at RedDot, we will block the our peninsula.
    i think we should first finish the settler, then do something else cus BW is coming soon so building another warior is a waste methinks. We dont even need copper thanks to our hourses, so we are not so stressed.
    About the east, wariors move slow=P so i only managed to get him back E of Paris.
    I said Chariots because im not sure we have copper, and if we have, it will probably be near White/Purple dots, so its not good enough, therefore Chariots will be our only option, and its not such a bad one. they can manage barbs.

20. JerichoHill

But...Archers are better for defense than chariots, they really are.
    Plus, we do not want to expand overly fast. We don't need to get the settler out there right at this moment. We don't even have a protection warrior for it

I'm going to move our warrior out of our capital, set it to fogbusting. I believe building a warrior (I am assuming it takes 4 turns) and set that one to fogbusting. Then when we know where copper is, we'll know if red dot is preferable.

Have we met anyone? If we haven't we're alone on a large island.