"Jumping to Prince" SG

:nuke:
Lobsterboy said:
My dial-up connection from home has been somwhat dodgey lately, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from me until Monday. . . Hopefully my ISP has sorted out the problem.
short message ~ this isn't ten characters?

hmm you're right jerhico, guess I just got a bug in my butt about that hut. I guess there's no time constraint for popping it since we are alone. Honestly though it doesn't seem like a good city location, so I dunno if I wan't it turning into a city. Perhaps the barbs have IW and know something we don't?

I think our best options are space or diplo win. Since we are on an island, I'd like to try for a diplo win. It would test our skills to see if we could manipulate the ones on the mainland.

Now, here's where its important. We MUST get the circumnavigation bonus, which means we need to get to caravels as fast as possible. Maybe there's another uninhabited island or two we can get to first, and get alot of room.

Assuming we find anohter island (what if there were only 2 or three and we got them all?) we could easily amass a naval force and just attack en masse on the mainland when we get the AI to war with each other.

My friends, no victory is beyond our grasp. We must Expand! We must Explore! We Must Eradicate!

Guys:

I can't download the save until tomorrow. Pholk: if you want to play go ahead. I really *DO* want to play this game, but illness and computer issues are conspiring against me. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to start contributing.

Played it (guess I should've posted earlier that i got it). Here ya go:

Pre: Paris: swapped to Pyramids; re-did the tiles: for the record, "stop growth" had a 4food surplus...silly guv'ner!; Orleans: went to Plains forest for 2h to get Wboat quicker.

1550b: exploring; worker starts to chop Pyr
1450b: clear forest; start next one on road
1425: Myst>Pottery
1375: Orleans: Wboat>Warrior
1325: chop done at Paris;
done

Paris goes to Pop5 in 6 turns - Hap. limit; Pyramids in 36t; We should keep chopping the grass forests b/c we're using the plains ones for shield prod.

Orleans: Pop2 in 2; War in 15t;

An Overview:

So, other than that...i'm not sure that I can add too much. Also, I weeded on the chopping exploit in my haste to play the turns. Lesson learned ;)

For now, Lobsterboy is up and I'll adjust the turn roster when he picks up the save.

Here ya go:

also, Orleans fits PERFECTLY into the map i made up earlier...see Post # 81, top of pg 5

Please tell me that Orleans has a Warrior to defend against the Barb...

I should be able to pick up the save later today (need to do it from work), and should be able to play tonight. Will try to post tonight, but might have to wait until Wed. AM. I'll let you know.

Well, you can forget about early religions, cus we dont have any religius techs. our only chance is to get Taoisim/Islam.
About Orleans- never leave a city empty=O
I think we can only win by space or diplo at this map.
Chop more for Paris and then create some fog busters and settlers cus we need to expand.

No leave the cities empty, just bust all the fog!

Remember the chopping exploit! (see pages above). Also, we do not need to expand in a hurry. We should only get 1 more city by the time the pyramids arrive, at most. Overexpansion kills civs.

Chop the grassland fresh water tiles and farm em. chop the plains tiles and cottage em

Orleans IS undefended....i had the warrior there for a bit nearby just in case, but i don't think that barb is coming out of his GH, AND our warrior there has wood II so he can run back quickly to catch any barbs who appear east; west there is another war 1 tile NE of the dye

Also, with early cottages going, we may be able to backfill the religious techs, since other civs will surely have them...they prob are not going through writing, alph and so on just yet either...

Here's what I learned trying to do the chopping exploit: I had to change prod to pyr. 2 turns before the worker stopped chopping b/c, for some reason, @ 1 turn, I never got the chance to switch, so two lost chops :(

Also, here's the amended roster from now on:
1: Lobsterboy --> UP NOW
2: SpriteSODA --> (on deck)
3: JerichoHill --> (preparing ink to tatoo the phrase: "Chopping Exploit" on our heads)
4: SkunkDoctor --> (carefully and kindly tending to the world's ill skunks)
5. Pholkhero --> (just played)

pholkhero said:
Orleans IS undefended....i had the warrior there for a bit nearby just in case, but i don't think that barb is coming out of his GH

OK. I didn't see that he was defending the hut. He ain't goin' nowhere!

Here's what I learned trying to do the chopping exploit: I had to change prod to pyr. 2 turns before the worker stopped chopping b/c, for some reason, @ 1 turn, I never got the chance to switch, so two lost chops :(

Well that's distressing news! Is there any reason at this point to continue to toggle between the barracks and Pyramids? Also, what is the command to toggle between the items in the production queue? The last time I tried it, I ended up deleting my wonder from the queue! :blush:

I guess the plan during mice turns will be to continue chopping for the Pyramids. I'll chop the three remaining grassland forests first.

JerichoHill said:
Chop the grassland fresh water tiles and farm em. chop the plains tiles and cottage em

Interesting. I always do the opposite: farm the plains and cottage the grasslands.

I downloaded the save and verified that the file wasn't corrupted. I should be able to play this evening. Only 10 turns, right?

Yes switching saves turns, even if its micromanagement, its an edge the computer AI doesnt have.

With 2 turns left to chop, basically the chop will occur once a unit auto-moves the next turn. So do it before an automove (or dont use automoves.

to switch between items, lets say I have barracks first and pyramids second. deselect the pyramids and then select it. it will be moved to the top of the queue.

plains are made for cottages. grasslands are made for health

Lobster ~ read up on Skunk's whole "hut"-thing that he had going on ;)

also, re: farming/cottaging plains and grassland...

plain: base, 1f 1h; w/farm: 2f1h; w/cottage: 1f1h1c
grassland: base: 2f; farm: 3f; w/cottage: 2f1c..
Paris has 5 of each:
a) farm plain, cottage grass = (5*2f1h)+(5*2f1c)=20f5h5c
b) cottage plain, farm grass = (5*1f1h1c)+(5*3f)=20f5h5c

am i missing something that would definitively say, a is better than b or that
plains are made for cottages. grasslands are made for health
??

Maybe this will help us...i saw it in another SG

"This is easy if you cancel the workers orders at the end of each round - select any worker and hit Alt-A (cancel all worker orders). The only down side is that you have to re-issue all worker orders each round. The big plus is that it allows you to *exactly* control where (ie to which item being built) the chop goes."

Overall , a pretty dull turn set.

1300 :coffee:

1275: :coffee:

1250: Chop completes; Pyramids from 34 to 28
Jungle grows near Paris (on top of hill NW – too bad it’s not a forest!)

1225: Pottery -> Writing (I don’t think we still have a shot at the Oracle.)

1200: Worker begins next chop

1175: Paris now @ 5 Pop

1150: Orleans: Warrior -> Warrior
Warrior heads West to fog bust

1125: Chop complete; Pyramids from 27 to 20
MM in Paris; switch from Pigs to Clams for extra commerce – reduces Writing to 5 turns.

1100: Working moving to next chop

1075: Warrior in far NW defeats Barb. Warrior (0.5 left)

Turn end summary:

Pyramids down to 18; Barracks in 6.
Writing in 3
Settler positioned to chop the last grassland forest.
Warrior just NW of Paris is moving West. (I did not cancel his movement, so
he’ll automove at the start of the next turn.)
Orleans will pop to 3 next turn
Paris is still growing, primarily for the extra commerce; will pop above
happiness limit in 9. Perhaps when whipping cost drop to 1, we should
whip the Barracks? Not sure what this will do to Pyramid production.

Sorry, no screenies. I didn’t see the point.

Here's the save:

1: Lobsterboy --> (just played)
2: SpriteSODA --> UP NOW
3: JerichoHill --> (on deck)
4: SkunkDoctor
5. Pholkhero

nice, but why writing??

pholkhero said:
nice, but why writing??

Yeah, I know. I probably should have taken Meditation toward COL. I thought because it may be a while before any other civs show up, we might want a few libraries sooner rather than later to boost research. It probably could have waited for a bit. Oh well.:sad:

Jericohill said:
WHIP THE PYRAMIDS~!

Now, why didn't that occur to me? *DOH!*

But hey! We were encouraged to make mistakes, so I'm makin' 'em.

My report:

Inhereted turn: Can't whip the Phyramids yet. Also, I see that we have no copper (probably missed that) so it could be a problem if we wont have iron either. Pressing Enter.
Turn 1: :sleep:
Turn 2: Orleans finished Warior, begin Work Boat for the second fish, then we could whip the hell out of her :whipped:
Turn 3: Finished researching Writing, started Sailing. Chopping to Pyraminds.
Turn 4: Jewdaism is FIDL, barbarian attacks our FogBuster(TM) and dies.
Turn 5-6: :sleep:
Turn 7: Whipping Pyramids!!! :whipped:
Turn 8:

Revolting to Representation.
Turn 9: Barbarian attacks another FogBuster and looses.
Turn 10: Thats it, those were my turns. Got to finish the Pyramids=]]
I think I made a mistake by researching Sailing instead of IW or something else but nvm:)

The Save:

Top Bottom